Installing Sonar and Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive System

Author
MrPrivate
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2016/08/27 14:46:51 (permalink)

Installing Sonar and Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive System

I have not come across any documentation thus far (and not for the lack of looking for it) concerning the installation of Sonar Platinum and it's Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive computer system.  More specifically, I am interested in choosing where my programs and content will be installed - by necessity, that is.  I run a new Win 10, 64 bit, i7, 16GB system to which I've added a firewire card (my mistake for having bought the Motu 896 Mk3 before realizing that firewire would go the way of the dodo bird) and a small SSD.  I run a 128GB SSD as the primary OS drive, having relegated the original 1TB HD to secondary status.

I certainly don't have enough room on my small C drive to add everything from the Platinum bundle to it.  Thus, I need to add bulky programs and content to the roomy D drive, but I don't think Command Center will give me this option.  Having read some other threads, I'd say that I'm fairly certain that it won't. 

Is it stands, Sonar Platinum is installed on my C drive, because that was where my previous version of Sonar was installed and the upgrade to Platinum simply placed it there.  That is the only installation that I have done so far because again, there is not enough free space on my C drive to install all of the Connected Content on the C Drive as well.  So I'd like to install everything else, plugins/effects, virtual instruments, content, etc., onto my D Drive - without using Command Center, of course.  Does anyone know if that will work?  Can I manually install everything else onto my D Drive and will it all work?  Will this cause any performance problems?  I don't know why not, but I figured that someone else has to have tried this before me.

7 Replies Related Threads

telecharge
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1180
    Re: Installing Sonar and Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive System 2016/08/27 15:06:50 (permalink)
    Yes, you can do that. Just download the SPlat installer from your account.

SONAR Platinum 22.8.0.29
    File size: ~444.9 MB, Released: 8/23/2016
    https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Product/CSPT100

You can choose the path for Cakewalk Content when you run the installer.

More info here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-can-I-download-and-install-the-smallest-SONAR-Platinum-footprint-m3454225.aspx
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Installing Sonar and Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive System 2016/08/27 15:10:00 (permalink)
    I have not tried a manual install and mostly use defaults. The current Command Center has a Verbose Install option on the Options tab in Settings. Verbose Install runs the installers as if they were run from the command line. Any prompt or switch available with a manual install should be available when running the installer from the Command Center with Verbose Install enabled. There is also Path tab on the Command Center settings page with settings for VST2 install paths. The Settings page is accessed by clicking the gear in the upper right of the Command Center UI.
    MrPrivate
    Re: Installing Sonar and Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive System 2016/09/12 16:21:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.  I've been out of town, but just got back to trying to figure this all out.  No luck, so far.

I run Windows 10, which in Settings, System, Storage, allows one to select where new "apps" (programs!) will be installed.  My system is set to install new programs on my E Drive, not my small C Drive.  Yet, when I install something new, it still just goes to the C drive.  So I installed Command Center and selected Verbose Install.  Then I got into the Paths and changed them all to the E drive, and when the directory being referred to didn't yet exist on my E drive, I copied the folder from my C drive beforehand so that Command Center had such a folder to be directed to.

Then I tried to install some of the Connected Content.  It's still installing the software on my C drive.  A few small files did indeed get saved on my E drive, but the installation itself remains on the C drive.  Worse yet, though, is that the large files - the .wav files from the Instrument Suites are getting installed on my C drive.  This cannot be - I don't have the room for that.  Those are the very files that I am most importantly trying to get stored on my E drive. 

Any other suggestions?
    telecharge
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1180
    Re: Installing Sonar and Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive System 2016/09/12 16:33:07 (permalink)
    MrPrivate

Any other suggestions?

Just to be clear, when you say "Connected Content," you're talking about everything listed under Sonar Platinum in Command Center, correct?

It would be helpful if you could tell us what specific suites, collections, etc. you're having trouble with.

EDIT: It's possible that previous installations or installation attempts left behind registry entries with paths pointing to your C: drive. You can always try a clean install as a last resort.
    post edited by telecharge - 2016/09/12 17:21:13
    MrPrivate
    Re: Installing Sonar and Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive System 2016/09/12 19:18:54 (permalink)
    Have been working on this all day.  Thus far, it appears that most of the installations are indeed on the C Drive, but even so, I may be able to live with that because most installations are rather small in terms of size.  Studio Instruments was the first one I installed today, not only did it install on my C Drive, it placed all wav files on the C Drive as well.  I never found a way around that one.  1.21 GB worth.  One of the others from Connected Content did that as well, but I cannot recall which one it was off hand.  

The other software installations stored wav files on the E Drive after all, so for the most part, I think I will make it work.   Thank you for your correspondence.
    RnRmaChine
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 420
    Re: Installing Sonar and Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive System 2016/09/18 12:10:48 (permalink)
    I'm interested in this myself as I have a similar situation. So "bump" hehe

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Dual Processors - Intel Xeon X5670 - 6 cores/cpu = 12core w/Hyperthreading = 24core
    24GB 10600 DDR3 1333 RAM
    1110w PSU
    Geforce GTS 450
    128GB SanDisk SSD OS/C:drive
    WD Blue HDrives Sample, Audio, Storage.
    bluesplayer
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re: Installing Sonar and Connected Content on a 2 Hard Drive System 2016/09/18 14:54:49 (permalink)
    First, I have honestly say whether manually installed or using the Command Center Verbose mode (which I only experimented with to see what it did- then I go back to 100% manual) Sonar does installs  everything (well most-  but not 100%) I tell to install on my D:\  drive. 

So if you have ALL  of Sonar installing on your C drive, even if you instructed it to install on some other drive then you have an issue.   Maybe becasue you previously installed all the Cakewalk "Shared" folders, Project folders, etc.,  to C drive?  Because, in that case CW WILL install that same named stuff there again (that's why those items are "grayed out" during install).  

But even on a first time, brand new, 100% clean install of full Sonar to a new, non-C drive, CW will still install a lot of stuff on the C drive, read on.

I have always installed all music apps (notation SW, DAW's, all Native Instrument Komplete, IK stuff, UVI,  Presonus, XLN, iZoptope, MOST plugins, etc. ) on my D:\ drive.  I've been running multiple internal drive systems (now 6 drives) since around late Win 98.

But with Microsoft Vista OS (around Sonar 7?  I can't remember version), MOST of Sonar was was installed on C drive no matter where I/you told it to install - becasue MS insisted programs and related should be installed in the C:\Program Files and C: \Program Data folders on C starting in Win Vista.

But with Win XP and Sonar 8,  Cakewalk again installed MOST stuff on my D:\ drive (as directed).  However, it still installs a lot of stuff on the C drive, almost all could just as easily be put where it is told at installation since, the Registry knows where that is.

Worse, some of it is REDUNDANTLY on the C: drive (C:\Users\your name\Local Apps\Roaming\Cakewalk\;   C:\users\All users;    C:\Program Data\ ;   C:\Program Files (x86) and   C:\Program Files\)  and some of it is not small liek a shortcut, some are things like Studio Instruments and Dim Pro with multi-sample folders, etc.  (that requires me moving the folders  and then editing Registry to point it to my D drive, PITA!)

CW needs to go back and really CLEAN up this confusing install mess at some point, there is technically no need to have anything, except the shortcut to the executable, on the C drive.   Unless, of course, I tell it to install "this" or "that"  on the C drive (maybe you really do want 100% on C drive, or your Projects Folders and Studio Instruments on C, etc.).

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1