Usb mixer

Author
clayton fryer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2016/11/05 00:21:59 (permalink)

Usb mixer

So after weeks of learning how to use my Scarlett 2i2 with my Sonar Platinum, I switched to a Mackie profx16 Channel USB mixer which I love for my playback and 2 play my electric drums through,, I'm finding it a little difficult to get back up and running as efficient as I was with the Scarlet audio interface. Wondering if anybody has any advice or I'm also wondering if it was more efficient and easier to just stay with the Scarlet and use my mixer only in playback when it comes to the studio work with sonar.?. So I believe I'm running the right driver the MME 32 bit, believe I'm just lost in the two track capability of the mixer and what should be turned off in what should be turned on I wanted to record the electric guitar part without the headphones and hear it through my mixer and or mains..
I would appreciate any advice,

Clayton XXX

7 Replies Related Threads

tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Usb mixer 2016/11/05 01:05:38 (permalink)
    How about using the Scarlett as it is, but feed the mixer's aux out or record out to the Scarlett ?

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    clayton fryer
    Re: Usb mixer 2016/11/05 02:23:27 (permalink)
    Both of those options surely crossed my mind but my concern is that I'm giving up some of the control realizing that sonar is great and the need for a mixer with it is minimal. After having the mixer and some of its functions and effects along with the built-in equalizer and compressor I worry that I'm giving up quality for Simplicity. When I did take a minute and re connect and use the Scarlet it felt like a step backwards but I'm not sure if it is.
    clayton fryer
    Re: Usb mixer 2016/11/05 02:24:14 (permalink)
    By the way thank you for your feedback.
    tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Usb mixer 2016/11/05 03:20:15 (permalink)
    If the interface is with multi - input (more than 2) and with multi - outs, I would use it as the main audio interface with Sonar (or it's native mixer apps) controlling it.

With a basic 2 in/out interface (I'm using such an interface too) - your other mixer can be used to tie in your other equipment too, especially if you only have 1 set of audio monitor. Just set the eq to flat. Another configuration that I would use is to connect input via Scarlett (in my case my Quad Capture) and the interface output to the mixer. This is especially useful when I'm recording my drum-machine or external keyboard as midi - I would need to mix the outboard audio to the mixer.

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Usb mixer 2016/11/05 09:21:17 (permalink)
    I have the Mackie Pro FX12. same thing minus the 4 extra channels.
    the Traction software that's bundled with the board when you purchase it suggests using ASIO4ALL.
    this will cure your latency issues. but I honestly believe the Scarlett has better pre amps in it than the Mackie Does.
    I have a Focusrite 18I8 and that's what I use as a full time AI. I got the Mackie to use for micing up a drum kit, monitoring, exc. IMO the USB is a bonus, so I can hear an IPOD, or send a stereo mix to my laptop.
    but one thing is for sure, the Mackie Pre amps cant touch the Focusrites Mic Pres, even on the cheap little Scarlett's.
    because the mic pres you have in your Scarlett is the same Mic pres in the larger Focusrite units (except the ISA and Claret) its just you only have 2 mic pres on the 212. The big units have 8. my 18I8 has 4 but I also have 4 more 1/4 inputs, lightpipe and SPIF.
    This is how I convert 8 track tape to digital (I do a lot of conversion work)

Its all about mic pres my friend. Ask any good engineer.. They will tell you,
    Even though I own one, a Mackie's Mic Pres is not better than a Scarlett. The noise floor is also not even close.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

clayton fryer
    Re: Usb mixer 2016/11/05 09:33:22 (permalink)
    Thanks bro, I think I'm going to take your advice go back to the Scarlett as my input, but I think I can leave the Mackie side by side to use as my output still on the USB right? If not I can always go to the outs from the Scarlet to the mixer but with my other mixers always found that a little bit unsatisfying... either way I appreciate very much somebody confirming what I had already suspected but was not going to be able to decide without a push, and then maybe I'll find a larger Scarlett and trade up the 2i2 was one of my very first purchases not really knowing what I needed for Studio...
    Thanks again

CLAYTON XXX
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Usb mixer 2016/11/05 13:12:48 (permalink)
    clayton fryer
    Thanks bro, I think I'm going to take your advice go back to the Scarlett as my input, but I think I can leave the Mackie side by side to use as my output still on the USB right? If not I can always go to the outs from the Scarlet to the mixer but with my other mixers always found that a little bit unsatisfying... either way I appreciate very much somebody confirming what I had already suspected but was not going to be able to decide without a push, and then maybe I'll find a larger Scarlett and trade up the 2i2 was one of my very first purchases not really knowing what I needed for Studio...
    Thanks again

CLAYTON XXX

you can use your Mackie to to send the signal to the Focusrite if that's what you mean,
    but be sure to Tap the insert. its a cleaner route to your Focusrite.
    using them side by side might be impossible (Using 2 USB devices at the same time)
    it will cause driver conflicts, though some might have a better idea on that.

your Scarlet will use an Asio compliant driver, while the Mackie will use ASIO4ALL.
    that's a recipe for destruction. however, you might be able to try WASAPI.
    a user here on the forums swears by it and I trust his judgment. so possibly another option.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1