Helpful Replyinput echo

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
papawiz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2017/10/09 01:48:29 (permalink)

input echo

a new algorithm needs to be written for the input echo button ( on side of the record button) , there is serious delays , I have tried ALL the trouble shooting there is to try, if i turn on the input echo so an artist or myself wants a little reverb coming in, or to add some compression in real-time on the input signal, there are serious delays,  the only one way is when i turn down the master fader so I don't hear the echo delay, But by doing so i cant here the reverb , there's a 2-3- second delay, and also in cakewalk notes they explain it but does no good,  i have tried all the latency , and interface trouble shoots, Bottom line there needs to be a new algorithm written ESPECIALLY for this problem alone, 
its okay to record dry and add reverb or compression or 3rd part plugins after u have your track recorded, but i can not add reverb or compression from inside sonar IN REAL TIME RECORDING on the input signal ( instrument or vocals) does anyone know how to solve this issue or have ran into this problem????
Thanx 
Wiz
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: input echo 2017/10/09 10:56:54 (permalink)
You're experiencing latency. Without system info, audio interface and driver mode, hard to help you.
Hopefully you aren't using your internal soundcard and not using ASIO4ALL and expect everything to be right.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: input echo 2017/10/09 13:24:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/10/13 15:11:51
In addition to audio interface settings, there may be some plug-ins adding to the problem. The easy test for this is bypassing all plug-ins using the FX button in the Mix Module. If the problem goes away, it is plug-in related. The PDC button in the Mix Module may help.
papawiz
Re: input echo 2017/10/09 20:48:06 (permalink)
thank you guys, I have tried the bypass and FX button and the input echo is still there, I have tried EVERY latency setting, its not plugin related, i have tried not loading no plugins at all on a vocal track, turn on the input echo and the delays happen again.
PC info::: windows 8.1
intel i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHZ ( the problem is still there on my i7 windows 10 also)
64x Bit
RAM::6.00GB
interface im using is the UR-22 by stienberg, (have  the same issues with UR-44, apollo, and presonus interfaces, ) and I have tried all latency settings
anything else i can try??
Wiz
Thanx 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: input echo 2017/10/09 21:02:45 (permalink)
Hard to believe that you are getting a 2-3 second delay.  That's like 2000 - 3000 msec, which does seem excessive. 

Are you using the ASIO driver that came with the interface?  What is the reported ASIO Total Roundtrip in the Sonar driver settings?

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
scook
Forum Host
Re: input echo 2017/10/09 21:04:58 (permalink)
I think what you are describing as "input echo" is the result of mixing the direct monitoring and with the signal being recorded at the same time. This is confusing because there is a function called "input echo" supplied by the DAW. If you want to monitor using the "input echo" buttons in the DAW, turn off direct monitoring in the interface. The time difference between direct monitoring and monitoring through the DAW is a function of the ASIO buffer settings. Chances are the best settings on the interfaces that you have are ~128 buffers somewhere around 7ms. Mixing both the direct signal and the signal being recorded in the DAW will always result in a mix with a slight delay. Otherwise, use direct monitoring for the signal going into the DAW and monitoring playback only from the DAW.
papawiz
Re: input echo 2017/10/09 23:45:02 (permalink)
yes the input echo next to the record button, theres no way to turn off direct monitoring from the interface on the UR-22

yes im using ASIO drivers, that came, but since updated but still ASIO
still delay issues ,  sonar still should be able to turn one off?? cause only thing i got recording in the DAW is vocals from the UR-22, the direct signal is the mic, and the signal being recorded by the DAW should not give me a delay. 
scook
Forum Host
Re: input echo 2017/10/10 00:47:49 (permalink)
There is a Mix knob on the UR-22 to control the ratio of input (IOW direct signal) to DAW signal sent to the interface outputs. Since the direct signal goes directly to the interface outputs SONAR cannot control that feature of your interface.
papawiz
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 00:12:52 (permalink)
oh i see thank you, so if u use the UR-22 and want to add reverb on the input track inside sonar i have to leave off the input echo button then ? and just record dry vocals.
cause i hooked up a Presonus studio 68 interface and a Focusrite red 16 line thunder bolt, to see if i still have the same issues, and the delay is still there, 
all i was trying to do was see a way to record vocals in realtime with a little reverb already on the input audio track (vocal) by using the reverb on the input track inside sonar, ( i turned down / muted the master fader and the delay went away but cant hear the reverb,
well i have tried 4 interfaces on 3 different computers, and the issue is still there, wish they write a new algorithm just for this issue, 
abacab
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 00:16:36 (permalink)
Maybe you need one of these ... zero latency monitoring!

https://www.uaudio.com/au...s/apollo-twin-usb.html

papawiz
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 00:22:26 (permalink)
Havent worked on this kind but heard about it, employee at the guitar center has one and he also still hears the delay in the input echo on sonar, when I went there and told them about my issues in sonar, but i will try for myself tomorrow
abacab
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 00:35:26 (permalink)
If I needed very low latency, this video sold me on the UA!  Using the integrated UA plugins, you will not need to rely on your DAW for real-time monitoring.

Apollo Interfaces Basic Setup & Recording (Console 2.0)
https://www.youtube.com/w...e=21&v=-tKMgnkPxXY

papawiz
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 00:51:30 (permalink)
just watched the video, this seem like this would answer and solve my issue,  ill try it tomorrow, cause the guitar center employee told he has the same apollo interface thats in the video and using sonar he still had the delay on the input, which is why i was so stern that sonar needs to fix this issue in they next update, 
ill try it tomorrow, 
dont know if it will make a difference if i use the apollo twin with a different software cause in the video they are not using sonar
abacab
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 01:03:35 (permalink)
papawiz
just watched the video, this seem like this would answer and solve my issue,  ill try it tomorrow, cause the guitar center employee told he has the same apollo interface thats in the video and using sonar he still had the delay on the input, which is why i was so stern that sonar needs to fix this issue in they next update, 
ill try it tomorrow, 
dont know if it will make a difference if i use the apollo twin with a different software cause in the video they are not using sonar

This solution gets you out in front of the DAW and away from any Sonar (or any other DAW) algorithms while you are tracking.  The UA does the FX processing for your monitoring solution, with sub 2ms delay.

scook
Forum Host
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 01:29:15 (permalink)
Some interfaces (for example RME and Motu) have effects built into a software mixer supplied with the interface. I am sure there are others that provide DSP in their software mixers.
abacab
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 21:22:08 (permalink)
scook
Some interfaces (for example RME and Motu) have effects built into a software mixer supplied with the interface. I am sure there are others that provide DSP in their software mixers.

Correct, I believe that RME and Motu also have models with the DSP hardware onboard the interface as well.  I frequently see all three names come up on these forums when low latency is discussed. No dependency on CPU cycles for real-time FX processing, or the DAW software for monitoring is required.

I just happened to think that Apollo has put out some good marketing info that illustrates how using external DSP  makes a difference, and used it as an example of what is possible.  You can push a button in the console software to either print the track dry, or with the added DSP FX, but the DAW should just keep rolling along in the background either way.

chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 21:47:16 (permalink)
im sorry if I missed a comment but have you tried disabling your onboard audio card just as a test ?
Possibly you are hearing both at the same time ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 23:15:22 (permalink)

Chuck, this is not possible. 
Only one audio driver can be running in Sonar and how would on board sound find it's way to an interface anyhow. 

The OP is just trying to do what we all know will result in hearing the RTL delay of the system. 
Monitoring the back end of a DAW system will always result in some latency and don't believe the manufactures specs. Use your ears and will you hear something.

The OP mentions 2-3 seconds,, I think they meant to say ms. 

Jim R wrote this out once in a very good way to make it understood, I'll attempt the same but might not be as accurate. 

Round trip Latency is going to happen even with the very best interface. for the audio to get from the input back to the output it is processed multiple times, each process depending on it's quality and coding involved will add it's little bit of latency to make the sum total. 

First the A/D convertor.
Then the USB or Firewire system coming in
The CPU 
Then the audio driver talking to the DAW ( all DAW's perform the same people, don't blame the DAW) 
Any plug ins that add latency canalso  be  added, but this is one thing you can remove easily. 
Then the USB or Firewire going out
Then the D/A convertor to your monitoring system. 

Note: many under $500 interface use what is called a hidden Buffer which adds more latency that was reported. 

Solutions for those wishing to avoid hearing this are:
Use lower buffer settings.
Using a higher sample rate 
A some point this will need a very good System to support the lower buffers. Many systems using so so audio drivers and lower CPU horsepower will drop out. 
There are hardware solutions like above mentioned buy an interface with built in DSP and effects
Or use a hardware mixer with effexts for monitoring ( what I do ) 

A trick I've used to hear reverb from Sonar is to turn the track your recordings fader down or off. 
Insert an effects send to a reverb buss. Set it pre fader. Crank it up and you will hear the wet reverb now in the DAW output but you won't hear very much of the vocal track with it's delay. In a way the little bit of delay in the reveb buss become the effect. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: input echo 2017/10/12 23:27:32 (permalink)
abacab
Correct, I believe that RME and Motu also have models with the DSP hardware onboard the interface as well.  I frequently see all three names come up on these forums when low latency is discussed. No dependency on CPU cycles for real-time FX processing, or the DAW software for monitoring is required.

The RMEs have delay and reverb, but I hardly ever use it. I can get round-trip latency in Sonar (or Logic on a Mac) of under 5 milliseconds so long as I don’t load plugins that add latency or strain the cpu too much. Under 10ms is even easier to maintain.

Which makes using the fx in the RME mostly unnecessary. I nearly always record via the DAW with assorted delays etc. running without any noticeable latency at all.

Sonar, and any other good DAW, with no plugins inserted in a project should allow latency as low as the PC hardware and interface and its driver can handle, assuming everything’s set up OK to avoid problems like PCI bus latency issues from e.g. wi-fi or other hardware drivers.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: input echo 2017/10/13 00:03:40 (permalink)
papawiz
all i was trying to do was see a way to record vocals in realtime with a little reverb already on the input audio track (vocal) by using the reverb on the input track inside sonar, ( i turned down / muted the master fader and the delay went away but cant hear the reverb,
well i have tried 4 interfaces on 3 different computers, and the issue is still there, wish they write a new algorithm just for this issue, 

If you're hearing ANYTHING with the master fader turned down that could ONLY be because you are directly monitoring from your interface.

Just to be clear, are you turning this knob all the way to DAW??

Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: input echo 2017/10/13 00:51:19 (permalink)
papawiz
...if i turn on the input echo so an artist or myself wants a little reverb coming in, or to add some compression in real-time on the input signal, there are serious delays,  the only one way is when i turn down the master fader so I don't hear the echo delay, But by doing so i cant here the reverb , there's a 2-3- second delay, and also in cakewalk notes they explain it but does no good,  i have tried all the latency , and interface trouble shoots...

scook
There is a Mix knob on the UR-22 to control the ratio of input (IOW direct signal) to DAW signal sent to the interface outputs. Since the direct signal goes directly to the interface outputs SONAR cannot control that feature of your interface.

So if you turn this knob all the way to "DAW" you won't hear any of the input foldback from the UR-22. Then you can enable input echo in SONAR and add a little reverb for your singer. The UR-22 should deliver <15 Msec latency (probably better), which in my opinion is fast enough.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
chuckebaby
Re: input echo 2017/10/13 01:51:11 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Chuck, this is not possible. 

To eliminate the echo from input monitoring
1. Open the Windows Volume Control window:            
Windows 7: Click the Windows Start button and go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Volume Control. The Volume Control window appears.

2. In the Play Control window of the mixer, check the Mute check box in the Line-In column, or in the column of whatever jack your instrument is plugged into, and close the mixer window.
Now you can hear only the processed sound when you use input monitoring. Using WDM or ASIO drivers for your sound card keeps latency to a negligible amount.

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: input echo 2017/10/13 02:11:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2017/10/13 02:44:12
That seems to be instructions for using on board audio, right? 
That has nothing to do with using an interface, You cannot control an ASIO interface in Windows control. that can only be done with the interface GUI. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

chuckebaby
Re: input echo 2017/10/13 14:58:56 (permalink)
Ya, Im not going to be debating anyone's ideas here. That's only confusing the OP and not helping.
I am however just taking an estimated guess (like you are).

This right here

papawizwell i have tried 4 interfaces on 3 different computers, and the issue is still there

It sounds like he is using the inputs of these 4 interfaces but not using the correct driver, instead he is using onboard audio driver.
Possibly the OP new to this and doesn't understand the set up process in preferences and that's okay, we all start somewhere.

abacab
Re: input echo 2017/10/13 15:28:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/10/13 17:44:23
chuckebaby
Ya, Im not going to be debating anyone's ideas here. That's only confusing the OP and not helping.
I am however just taking an estimated guess (like you are).

This right here

papawizwell i have tried 4 interfaces on 3 different computers, and the issue is still there

It sounds like he is using the inputs of these 4 interfaces but not using the correct driver, instead he is using onboard audio driver.
Possibly the OP new to this and doesn't understand the set up process in preferences and that's okay, we all start somewhere.

I get what you meant to say, I assume. 

To clarify the terminology, I think you meant he may be using the Windows audio drivers (e.g., WDM/MME/Direct Sound/WASAPI, etc.) rather than the onboard audio drivers (e.g, Realtek).  Those are usually OEM hardware specific and wouldn't work with an audio interface from another brand.

The ASIO drivers that come with the interface are the only drivers that should be configured in Sonar.

I agree the OP should start at the beginning of the setup process and describe EXACTLY the steps taken with each interface, and the driver settings used with each, in detail.  Otherwise we are all guessing here, and it could just be a matter of a simple assumption or oversight causing the issue. 

Blaming a DAW for following the laws of physics is not going to solve anything.

Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: input echo 2017/10/13 15:48:21 (permalink)
This is really an old topic, the OP is asking about the best way to record "what u hear" and get his/her what u hear to be a signal without latency.....the only answer is what scook and cactus have been explaining. That no matter what daw, if one uses the AI monitoring as it's designed with it's onboard basic effects (if any, some don't have any) there's no or the absolute minimum RTL because it's before the daw. Often there's reverb, to give vocal artists some support, that's the most common.

If monitoring after daw effects, there will be some RTL in every daw. The more familiar a User is with his tools the better his results in setting up monitoring/recording.

It may be the OP will use all the good info here and solve his own questions. That's what most do, when trying out different settings, effects, etc.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
abacab
Re: input echo 2017/10/13 15:49:06 (permalink)
RSMCGUITAR
papawiz

If you're hearing ANYTHING with the master fader turned down that could ONLY be because you are directly monitoring from your interface.

Just to be clear, are you turning this knob all the way to DAW??

That's a very good point, and should be the first step if you wish to monitor your DAW output (with reverb FX).

The second step is to get your computer and DAW latency as low as your interface and driver can handle.  Properly configured, many users are happy with the results they can get with Sonar.

The bottom line here is that it should be a case of monitoring all one source or the other, but not both at the same time. You are obviously going to always have more latency running the signal round trip through the computer processing, and that will never sync up with the direct input real-time monitoring of what you hear in the room.

Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: input echo 2017/10/14 00:27:58 (permalink)
papawiz - Thousands of SONAR users are monitoring through the DAW, with effects and low latency. Has any of the advice here helped you?

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: input echo 2017/10/14 03:18:17 (permalink)
As long as the premise is "well i have tried 4 interfaces on 3 different computers, and the issue is still there, wish they write a new algorithm just for this issue" it will never be possible to find the source of the problem because it has nothing to do with the input echo algorithm. An input echo button simply passes audio through the computer to the output. As Larry Jones has pointed out, thousands of musicians are using input echo with SONAR to monitor with low latency through effects. I am one of those thousands. If you are getting extreme latency, the issue is either how the system is set up, or the operator. These are beyond the control of the manufacturers who make the gear we use.

If you're using Thunderbolt, who knows what's going on with your system - very few PCs are Thunderbolt-friendly, and you need a very specific chip set. Also, 6 GB RAM is hardly enough for Windows to even wake up in the morning.

As to monitoring through reverb, the effect itself typically has more milliseconds of pre-delay than most people ever experience with an interface. As detailed in this thread, there are other ways to record with reverb in the voice. Given the basic attributes of an Apollo interface, there should be no detectable latency problems recording vocals while monitoring through reverb. The only latency is due to A/D and D/A conversion, which is unavoidable with digital gear and is less than 2 ms.

I don't want to come across as snarky, because I know how difficult it is to get Windows-based systems operating properly, and I sympathize. Regardless, when people look in the wrong place for a solution, they will not find a solution. Somewhere in the system - and it could be a SONAR preference - something is not set correctly.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
stevesweat
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 360
Re: input echo 2017/10/16 15:04:01 (permalink)

Latency-free hardware monitoring

The UR22 features latency-free hardware monitoring and an intuitive Mix knob that allows you to blend between the direct signal and the output of your host.

Steve
Sweaty Productions
http://www.youarentweird.com/
https://soundcloud.com/user-978097986-982906152
https://sweatyproductions.bandcamp.com/
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
AMD FX6300 3.5gig 6core
HYPERx FURY 16gigRam
PNY GeForce GT730
WD Caviar 1TB 7200rpm
Gigabyte ATX AM3+ AMD 970 chipset