PC building for Cakewalk

Author
mattburnside
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
2018/05/15 06:37:56 (permalink)

PC building for Cakewalk

Hi Guys,

I've posted on here a fair bit about my issues with my Cakewalk setup with latency and pops/crackles and also random dying of the Cakewalk program. I've switched out my Soundcard and Installed every version of every driver possible and still I am suffering. Some days I'll get a good working system that seems happy and others it's unusable with what's seems like no difference in the computers setup and programs/plugins being used.

These pops and crackles even occur when Cakewalk shows very little in the processor use and when I have the Focusrite set to 1024 buffer size.

My current spec is here just in case anyone knows of any major problems with the exact manufacturer specific parts I have as that's all I can put it down to now.

Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3HP
AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7, 12 computer cores 4C + 8G, 3900 Mhz, 2 cores
AMD Radeon HD 6800
16 GB RAM
Kingston SV300S37A SSD
Toshiba 1TB Audio drive
Line 6 Toneport UX2 aand Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen) Only used independently
Windows 10 Home (all updates installed, problems were noticeable on Windows 7 also)

If anyone has any advise on things I can try before I start replacing more bits please let me know. I'm sure it's a PC issue but I can't find where. Also if anyone can suggest the cheapest way to move on if that's all I can do that would be great.

Thanks folks!

23 Replies Related Threads

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/15 08:18:50 (permalink)
    A few things to try;
    turn off wifi,
    uninstall ASIO4All (if it is installed),
    make sure you're using ASIO driver mode,
    unplug all other USB devices,
    turn off any power saving features such as processor cycling or core parking,
    install the most recent ATI video driver but try to avoid the entire Catalyst control thingy,
    turn off the ATI video "HD Audio device" in device manager,
    test another (free? demo?) DAW and see if you get the same issues.

Shambler
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/15 10:27:03 (permalink)
    One word of advice and that is to do some major research on that specific motherboard to try and find out if anyone have reported issues with latency when streaming audio and any other issues using it in a DAW environment.

Also your motherboard / graphics card combo...are there known issues with these 2 parts not working well together.

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
    Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
    8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
    Geforce GTX970
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
    Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
    Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/15 11:24:51 (permalink)
    Your CPU has integrated graphics already, Radeon R7 built in, so I am not understanding why you would also have AMD Radeon HD 6800 card installed at the same time.  The built-in Radeon R7 graphics works quite well with Cakewalk. 

I know this because I have the AMD A10-7850K CPU, and it too has the Radeon R7 graphics built in, which is what I use. running 2 displays.

Just for grins, perhaps you might consider taking out that installed graphics card and disabling its drivers, to use the built-in Radeon R7 graphics instead, to see if it makes any difference in what you are experiencing.

And one more thought - do you have Windows set to NOT use the ASIO drivers while you are running Cakewalk, so Windows and other apps aren't also trying to access the ASIO drivers while you run Cakewalk?  

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    poetnprophet
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/15 17:01:43 (permalink)
    That seems like a pretty decent system, better than what mine was before and I wasn't getting issues like that....until I deserved them given the scope of the projects.  In other words, what kind of projects are you working on that are giving you issues?  Track count, plugins, vst instruments, etc?

Also, if you haven't done so already, do a google search for optimizing windows for audio production and go through all of those instructions.

Dave

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    i7 8700k, 32GB, Win 10pro
    MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
    Hulk 990, NT1A
    Slate Digital, Izotope, Waves
    www.kdubbproductions.com
    https://www.bandlab.com/kdubbproductions 
    rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/15 17:17:03 (permalink)
    poetnprophet

Also, if you haven't done so already, do a google search for optimizing windows for audio production and go through all of those instructions.

Dave

+1 for optimizing. You want to make sure everything is running at top performance and lean & mean. Turn your power setting to high performance - for some reason the default is power saving mode. Disable unneeded startup programs. Make sure your audio devices are not in contention with each other. Stop services that you don't need, using care not to stop vital Windows services. Go as far as you feel comfortable with (some folks mess with the registry, but I never went that far.)

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/15 17:23:00 (permalink)
    It's easy to blame hardware, but the problems are often caused by how you use it or have it set up. To help you we need more information;
    Are you using ASIO? What ASIO buffer size are you using? What does your project consist of - track count, VST & VSTi count etc? Have you disabled all Windows power saving features? Have you made sure there are no programs running in the background that are hogging processes? Do you get the problems in other DAWs?

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    mattburnside
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/16 06:30:15 (permalink)
    Hey guys and thanks for all your great responses, if nothing else it's helped me establish a little more faith in everything I've already tried as I've been down most of these routes but have done some again this morning to try further.

So to start with I have now as Robert_E_Bone suggested removed the additional graphics card and back on the integrated graphics form the APU.

I also disconnected all USB devices apart from my keyboard and mouse, disconnected the USB 3.0 ports from the motherboard and the front panel audio as suggested by sanderxpander. Never had the ASIO4ALL on this setup so that's fine and all drivers up to date with all power limitations turned off.

Shambler, I shall have to read up on this but in the year and a half I've had this setup I've not been able to find anything concrete on this mobo and DAW issues. The search goes on.

PoetnProphet, the current project I'm loading whilst testing this is 6 tracks and only around 1 minute in length. 4 audio tracks, 2 instances of mini grade by AIR music VST. On these I have the 4 audio tracks going to a drum bus with one instance of Breverb and then the instances of piano go to a bus running Valhalla Shimmer. I have looked over optimization guides many times and seem to have followed to the letter but can't hurt to run through some again.

Rbecker, again I  shall look over the optimization guides but I've taken this pretty far already, the actual PC boots in seconds and runs lovely, just seems to struggle with the audio mainly.

35mm, I am using the ASIO driver and for testing purposes with the small project (see above) I'm currently working on I have the buffer size at 256, 44.1kHz. Background processes are pretty much non existent, even Windows own CPU monitor within task manager (which always seems high) shows my CPU at 1% occasionally 2% even whilst running this Google Chrome window. I can certainly try another DAW, I shall re-install the Pro Tools free version and test this again as I can't remember how it behaved with the Line 6 and never tested on the Focusrite.

Thanks gswitz, I shall take a look over your video.

Once again guys, I'm so thankful for your assistance. This whole process and this rig has tested my patience and ruined my creativity these last few months so all the help is really appreciated. I shall keep trying and report back.

Thanks
    Toddskins
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/16 11:50:08 (permalink)
    Reading through the suggestions, which seemed good, my first thought was that the motherboard with integrated sound wires in it could be picking up interference from some source.  And/or, you may not have disabled the built-in sound in the Device Manager since you apparently are using the Focusrite Scarlett for your sound device.

If you have both on in the Device Manager (built-in & Focusrite), it can cause issues sometimes.
    NealClark
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/16 13:09:30 (permalink)
    I would recommend going through your system, step by step, to eliminate and identify where any issues could be happening that would cause the dropouts.

These are only suggestions based on my experience of using Sonar ( from Version 5 through 8.5, X3 Producer and now Cakewalk by Bandlab) and the ways I have eliminated issues over the years. So these are the things I would try.

Firstly I would ensure that I was only ever working with one audio device enabled on my system. So if you have the ability to do this ..... go into your PC BIOS settings and disable the onboard audio device and also disable any HDMI audio device that may be part of your GPU board. Once that is done ensure that windows is aware that your PC is now using ..... in this example your we will say your Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Make that the Scarlett is set as your windows default audio device. I would then make a couple of changes to the windows audio settings. By selecting your "Playback Devices" in windows audio you can then configure the default device. Select the device and the click properties and then advanced. Make sure that "Allow Applications to take Exclusive control" is unchecked. Once these seteps are done you should be able to play audio through the Scarlett from Windows media player or similar to test this behaves as expected. if all is okay there you can then move onto checking that the audio is configured correctly in Cakewalk.

Start Cakewalk and before you open any projects go into the the preferences options from the edit menu. In there you should see options for setting up the audio device. Under "playback and recording" ensure that your driver mode is set to ASIO. Then in the "driver settings" option make sure that your Scarlett ASIO device is set as your playback and recording timing master. Once those options are done you can then use the ASIO panel to set your latency and buffer settings. Once these have been configured you should have the basis of a usable system on just about any windows based PC that is running any OS version from XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and up to windows 10.

I would then test this for playback by creating a blank project, then import an mp3 or similar onto an audio track and then hit the play button and see if audio comes out through the Scarlett as expected.

I know this may seem like "baby steps" but you have to go back to basics to get your system working in the simplest form before you can then add in other capabilities. if it doesn't work doing this then I would say you must have a more fundamental issue with something. Maybe hardware related or another application or process accesiing the audio device and causes it to stutter and dropout.

Let me know how you get on with those suggestions and based on your findings it may help troubleshoot your issues further if this doesn't resolve them.

Best of luck.

Neal

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/16 20:38:45 (permalink)
    Not sure if you’ve tried this...

Go into device manager and disable any and all wi-fi devices while running a DAW. Simply switching networking off isn’t enough, Windows needs to be told to completely ignore the adaptors and not load their drivers.

The reason for this is that many wi-fi device drivers keep grabbing Windows exclusive attention for long enough to prevent the audio buffer being re-filled before it empties and then you get crackles, drop-outs etc.

Do the same with any HDMI audio entries. Don’t uninstall them because if you do Windows will just spot the hardware and re-install the drivers, disable them.

Running latencymon might be a good idea as well.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/16 23:22:29 (permalink)

This is a video i made that shows some basics.
    [tube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOVuzOja-yE&feature=youtu.be[/tube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOVuzOja-yE&feature=youtu.be

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/16 23:30:21 (permalink)
    You have to remove the 's' from 'https' to embed YouTube vids, and get the link address from the 'share' thingy

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
    Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
    More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/16 23:37:41 (permalink)
    ah nice trick. Ty Matron

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    mattburnside
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/17 07:12:19 (permalink)
    Hey guys and thanks again to everyone for the responses.

Tested everything suggested again and crackles still apparent with a new project, buffer at 256 and just one instance of Mini Grande opened, not impressed :( 

Tested with the WI-Fi disabled completely, setup the Scarlet as the only audio device, just downloaded latency monitor now so going to run some tests.

Thanks again guys.
    mattburnside
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/17 07:22:46 (permalink)
    So I just run latency monitor but I'm not sure I understand the results. I ran this for around 3 minutes whilst Cakewalk was running and I was using the one instance of baby grande, pops and all present.

The USB port total execution looks very high compared to everything else? Anyone any ideas on these numbers?

Thanks
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/17 11:13:38 (permalink)
    I found this which may be related;
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2132548/excessive-cpu-usage-usbport-sys-stops-computer-wakes-sleep-mode.html

What does the "Main" screen show as highest DPC latency and what are your averages like?

EDIT:
    If you know which are which you could conceivably disable USB ports in the BIOS, or if not that then in device manager.
    robert_e_bone
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/17 12:20:34 (permalink)
    One of the above earlier posts had mentioned something I forgot about, as it had been a while since Craig Anderton had posted about it - Craig had discovered that for some reason the hi-def audio drivers were causing similar issues, if memory serves, and his solution was to disable those when running Sonar sessions (the hi-def drivers are certainly not needed to be active anyways during Sonar/Cakewalk sessions, because it would be using the ASIO drivers of the audio interface.

So - you can locate those in Device Manager, and simply disable and then test the effects of doing so by launching Cakewalk and seeing if it helps.  When done, if no help with the issue, you can simply enable the driver(s) again - just takes a few seconds.

Also - make sure you don't have any high-latency inducing effects loaded into the project when trying to track/record (like convoluted reverb effects, for example).  You can simply hit the letter 'E' on your computer keyboard to toggle on/off the bypassing of all effects - if the issues go away with effects bypassed, you know then that one or more loaded effects is contributing to the audio issues, and you can either bypass effects until moving on to mixing, or temporarily swap out any hi-latency effects until you finish tracking, and then when ASIO Buffer Size is jacked up to 1024 or 2048 for mixing, those hi-latency effects can get swapped back in.

Disabling WiFi is quite often needed - literally disabling the driver OR if a function key to turn off transceiver, that works too.  This is a common issue with laptops, but can cause issues in desktops as well.

i have also had personal experience with many kinds of issues with certain audio interfaces not behaving well, when they were designed for USB 2 but plugged into a USB 3 port.  I ALWAYS make sure I test any newly acquired audio interface in USB 3 ports prior to making repeated use of that port - for that very reason, and if issues, then I make sure to always use a USB 2 port when a particular interface fails to work properly using USB 3. (Some interfaces work equally well in either USB 2 or 3 ports).

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    scottfa
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 453
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/17 12:39:32 (permalink)
    There are some good suggestions here,but i think you need a plan. My usual troubleshooting approach is to cut things in half. In this case is it the audio interface or the computer? Have you tried a different interface? tried the Focusrite in another computer with the same drivers? If it works ok on another computer then it is probably ok and you need to see about the computer. At this point i would try to determine if it is hardware or skftware issues so i would use different usb ports. Still an issue, probably software at this point. Again, is it Cakewalk or a driver issue? Try Reaper and see if it is different. At this point you can have some confidence in what works. Anyway, my two cents.

Intel I7 2600K (OCed to 4.0)
    Gigabyte Ga-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    16G Corsair 1600  Memory 4 sticks
    1 SSD, 1WD 650 SATA and 1 Samsung 1G SATA    
    Steinberg MR816X 
    Mackie R800 Adat to the Steinberg
    Windows 10 64 bit     
    Sonar Platinum Lifetime
    UAD-2  Solo
    dlion16
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/17 13:59:56 (permalink)
    Plug your focusrite into a usb2 port, NOT usb3. 

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
    850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
    2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
    mattburnside
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/18 06:02:48 (permalink)
    Hi guys, thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. So I've tried alternative USB ports, disabled all other audio drivers, disabled the wifi, run through Windows dskchk and memchk, Overclocked the PC to run at 4.2 with no cool n quiet or CPU overdrive or boost, removed my USB devices other than keyboard and mouse and disabled them in device manager and still no joy!

I'm currently installing Pro Tools first to check that, if that runs okay I guess my next step would be to try uninstall Cakewalk then re-install it. If I was going to do this what's the best way to install fresh whilst getting the elements I've paid for from Cakewalk Sonar but installing the Bandlab variant? If I have to re-install Cakewalk I shall probably restore Windows at the same time just to check that as well.

Thanks again guys!
    robert_e_bone
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/18 08:15:13 (permalink)
    Were the alternate USB ports USB 2? You didn't seem to specify. Some/many newer motherboards have zero USB 2 ports, and you want to make SURE you know which ports are of what type.

This certainly is likely to be something local to your system, 

Bob Bone.

mattburnside
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/19 04:34:44 (permalink)
    Hey Bob, they are indeed all USB 2 ports :(

I have though found that Cakewalk is the problem or the efficiency/compatibility with my system right now is. Installed Pro Tools First and straight away created 5 separate instances of Hybrid II, midi keys in with the buffer set to 64 and no pops, clicks or anything. I've already reset the preferences to default in Cakewalk and still no joy so I'm guessing it's a compatibility issue which is really annoying. I've just spent 18 months learning it regardless of the pops and drops :(

Anyone got any last minute advise on this now we know it's software related?

Thanks to you all for the help and support
    mattburnside
    Re: PC building for Cakewalk 2018/05/19 05:46:54 (permalink)
    Other thing to note is that Pro Tools First barely touches the processor in comparison to Cakewalk my system usage in Pro Tools sits around 2% when playing back 6 instances of Hybrid whilst it's nearer 50% in Cakewalk. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1