[feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop

Author
syrath
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4075
2006/05/15 14:53:21 (permalink)

[feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop

A really nice feature I would love to see in P5 would be the ability to convert a midi clip into an audio loop.

The latest track I did had 10 raptures , 3 dim pros and 2 z3ta+, quite simply my machine needed about 250% more firepower to run the track. I could freeze the tracks, but it would have been much easier to arrange if it were possible to create audio loops from midi tracks rather than freezing the track itself. I realise this could be done at the moment by looping and soloing your loop and exporting it, but it would be much easier if you could just right click and convert.

10 Replies Related Threads

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/15 15:07:51 (permalink)
    You can also right-click on a track header and choose the Bounce to clip option...I think this will bounce the entire track, so being able to right click on a clip and have only that clip bounce could be useful on occasion, although it wouldn't save cpu this way, as you wouldn't be able to bypass the track unless all midi clips were bounced.

I have asked for the ability to bounce to clip directly in the groove matrix, as the current method of doing it is a bit convoluted.
    SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/15 15:10:46 (permalink)
    YES.

This is one of the biggest reasons I use ACID because you can do this so easily. With Acid instruments, or P5 stuff rewired in, I bounce to loop all the time.

P5's bounce function bounces the whole track which I'm sure can be useful, but why the hell isn't there an option to bounce within the loop markers? I'm pretty sure it would be easy to implement.

One possible workaround is to take your pattern you want bounced, take one instance of it, slide it to the front of the project, delete everything else from that track, and bounce that. It should get you one loop's worth of audio there.

tclark
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1525
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/15 15:55:04 (permalink)
    one thing which would be IMMENSE would be if the groove matrix could pick up grooves when you told it to so you didnt have to go through dragging each individual clip into there and arranging it in grooves/columns

T

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/15 16:01:44 (permalink)
    If I understand correctly, your wanting the FX to be rendered as part of this "bounce" as well right? So you can simply insert this new "audio clip" into a blank AUDIO CHANNEL along with any other bounced audio file. Then all those clips will can have all the flavours of FX and still be limited to ONE channel of audio.

Yeah..this is one of my single biggest things I am constantly working around.
    syrath
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/15 16:05:05 (permalink)
    Not quite what I meant although that option would be useful also. I want to be able to convert a virtual instrument midi pattern into an audio loop (in my case without effects) so that it could then be treated as a standard audio loop to save loading up the instrument and straining the CPU , while you can still mess with the effects. All you effectively do is to lock the instrument rather than the whole track.
    Digital Aura
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/15 16:25:12 (permalink)
    I find that the synths aren't really the CPU hogs...its the chain of FX I've got in the Device Inspector section. If you could do what your asking AND have it so you could do it pre OR post FX that would REALLY rock.
    As it stands, I do this all the time. I make a nice swooshey filter effect or an ambient tingly type effect and then I bounce it to audio to use simply as an audio pattern. The problem is I still need the FX in the chain because it doesn't render them into the audio clip.
    So it's still using resources I'd rather free up by having included in the audio bounce/mixdown.
    syrath
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/15 19:51:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Digital Aura

I find that the synths aren't really the CPU hogs...its the chain of FX I've got in the Device Inspector section. If you could do what your asking AND have it so you could do it pre OR post FX that would REALLY rock.
    As it stands, I do this all the time. I make a nice swooshey filter effect or an ambient tingly type effect and then I bounce it to audio to use simply as an audio pattern. The problem is I still need the FX in the chain because it doesn't render them into the audio clip.
    So it's still using resources I'd rather free up by having included in the audio bounce/mixdown.

This might be obvious, but have you tried freezing the track. For trickery I had serious melt down at times with 15 high end synths running at the same time. I had frozen all 15 tracks and had to unfreeze/freeze a track every time I made an adjustment. I even had to disable the audio engine to export it, because P5 had a default effect tail that was too short on the frozen tracks.
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/15 20:49:54 (permalink)
    the ability to convert a midi clip into an audio loop.
    ,,,well,,, ya know,,, export loop region'... like,,,, to desktop ,,,,,have desktop in browser view,,, hit f5 ,,,,ya know ,,"refresh ,,,,,, create grooves ,,,solo tracks,,,,, mix it up,,,,,line it up,,,,,,,drag ,,into da matrix,,,,,
    post edited by jardim do mar - 2006/05/15 21:11:08

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    Digital Aura
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/15 23:18:56 (permalink)
    Stuart...you can change the effect tails you know.

Also, the problem (for me) with freeze and/or bounce is that it only renders the midi synth data to audio ... not the FX assigned to the channel.

Marcella, that is a handy thing and is currently how I work...again, see my point just above.
    syrath
    RE: [feature] Midi pattern to Audio loop 2006/05/16 02:26:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Digital Aura

Stuart...you can change the effect tails you know.

Also, the problem (for me) with freeze and/or bounce is that it only renders the midi synth data to audio ... not the FX assigned to the channel.

Marcella, that is a handy thing and is currently how I work...again, see my point just above.

Freeze freezes the effects as well, not just the virtual instrument. What it does not freeze is volume, panning or effect sends. It freezes any track specific effects and the virtual instrument itself.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1