final song mix (#2 of 11) - <<<deleted>>>

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2011/04/11 10:58:04 (permalink)

final song mix (#2 of 11) - <<<deleted>>>

<<<deleted, moving on to next submission>>>

final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating?

guys, i'm posting near-final mixes of the songs that i'm about to release on cd.
these are unmastered files. so you'll have to crank em up.......LOUD

they were output at dithered 16 bit, with no processing. the mp3'd to 320 kbps.

i'd love to get just a quick listen from you, to establish translation on different systems.
thanks!

"Following Light"

post edited by batsbrew - 2011/04/13 11:46:07

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

13 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/11 11:18:55 (permalink)
    Hi BB, sounds great on cheap Sennheiser headphones, great song,singing,playing and guitar sounds, especially that acoustic guitar.

Greetings, Rik
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/11 11:28:15 (permalink)
    Listening on laptop speakers and sounds pretty good from here,lovely warm sound achieved here.

What are your levels before mastering do you mind me askin?

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    batsbrew
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/11 12:53:38 (permalink)

morenoise
    thanks, the sennheisers are great levelers of the playing field, thanks for letting me know that part.

whack
    good, laptop speakers, that's good.
    i have a set of PC speakers with a nice subwoofer to check on, as far as computer speakers go, but not a laptop.

levels of the premastered mixes?

you know, i always shoot for PEAKS of no higher than -6db, but i have some pretty dynamic tracks between drums and voice, and they shoot all the headroom....
    i think my typical RMS is probably sitting around -18 to -15 typically, but the drums will take it up to -6 on just about every other beat.
    i could limit the drums, but i only like to take a couple of db's max off the drum hits, so i have to live with that.

so, what ends up happening is by the time i get to this stage, my levels have drifted.
    right now, most all the peaks are still about -6, i'll get an occassional peak that will take it up to -4.5, but absolutely no higher than that.

when i do my first 'faders up' mix, i'll shoot for -10db peaks, knowing that with my process, eventually they end up around -6.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/11 13:21:55 (permalink)
    Bat,

I would love to hear what you did for those acoustic guitars.  Would you be willing to share what you did with me from tracking to plugs, eq, etc.?  I would be very grateful.  I love your result.

The mix sounds great on my system.  I'm a tom freak though, and would love to hear those up a bit; they're good on the overheads, but more punch out of the direct mics would be great.  The drums sound very "overheady".

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/11 13:25:27 (permalink)
    Hi Bat,

Sounds stellar on these cheesy office speakers (and that's hard to do!!!)
    Amazing playing/song here....rhythm breaks and tempo juts...fine stuff.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/11 13:34:17 (permalink)
    Bat,

Sounds good on my Bose Headphones here at work.

Regards
    batsbrew
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/11 15:47:16 (permalink)

SPINDLEBOX
    those acoustics, were very basic, tracking wise.

i use a pair of mics for each track, typically, but on this one, i used one mic per track.
    there are (2) acoustics, hard left and right, and another blended in the middle very lightly.

guitar: Taylor 414 full body

i used a ADK Hamburg condenser, pointed towards the body/neck joint, away from the body

got close to the mic, and strummed medium-light.

that signal runs thru a A Designs Audio MP-1, and into a DBX MC-6 compressor.
    output to the digital input of a ART DPS convertor, and into the soundcard. i print my compression.

i use the 80hz rolloff on the mic, but on mixdown, i highpass at about 140-155hz on acoustics.
    add a bit of high end above 8khz, and that's it. i use the standard Sonitus track EQ for almost everything.

drums:
    i wrote this drum track using Sony Acid.
    i output that file to a 16 bit stereo file, and am stuck with it, i don't have acid anymore.
    so, i used a lot of 'room' sound, that's what i was going for with this one.
    i have so many others that have a tight drum sound, i needed this one to give a 'big room' effect to counter the sound of the others....
    i like a lot of diversity in the sound, arrangement and feel of all the songs going on one album.

thanks for the comments!

no how
    when it sounds good thru the cheezy office speakers, i know it's getting close!
    LOL
    thanks

markno999
    bose headphones, check.
    the few of those i heard, always sounded good to me.
    a friend has a pair of those noise cancelling ones, and i was amazed at how well it worked.
    plus, they sounded good

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/11 15:49:24 (permalink)
    I'm hearing some overall dullness in the mix.

Vox seem a bit lost.

batsbrew
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/11 16:13:57 (permalink)
    BAPU

I'm hearing some overall dullness in the mix. 

probably because it's not mastered...
    i find going into mastering with 'bright' sounding mixes, always makes the mastering a bit tougher.
    seems better, to sweeten during mastering, across the board....than adding a bunch of high end in the box.

vox levels, yeah, i have this sound i'm going for, and it's anything but commercial mix-like....

but i don't want them to disappear. so i'll look at that.
    in my mix at my monitors, the vox is plenty loud.

i want them to blend, more like a classic rock mix, than a modern in your face thing.

thanks for checking it out

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/12 20:30:16 (permalink)
    Bat, thanks so much for the tips on the guitar.  I'd love for you to listen to what I did last night. 
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2281168

What I did, was while my player was strumming, I crawled around on my hands and knees and listened until I found the sweet spot; where I could hear the fullness of the guitar and where I felt the instrument really shined.  That's where I set up my mic.  It was pointing just above the soundhole and just below the bridge.

My player sung and played simultaneously; I haven't done anything yet to vocals, but I am going to try and use some of your tips.  I went into my ART PRO MPA II that I modded with Mullard 12AX7's.

I think your mix sounds great, just thought I'd mention it again.

Best wishes!!  where are you getting this mastered?  Check out my studio's website, we offer a few packaging options too:  www.cauldronsoundwerx.com/recordingstudio.aspx

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/13 07:06:21 (permalink)
    This mix has the vocals burried and the mids seem to be absent, maybe overcompressed?

Spindlebox,
    Your song sounds very nice.

String Jammer
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/13 07:14:46 (permalink)
    I found the middle of the sound field to be kinda shallow at times, like all the action was on the sides, and not much gluing it together.

I totally get what you are going for vocal-level wise, but I would think about maybe a half db increase.

As usual, playing and composition are tremendous.
    batsbrew
    Re:final song mix (#2 of 11) - how's it translating? 2011/04/13 11:52:55 (permalink)

spindle
    your welcome.
    what you did to find the sweet spot is exactly what you should do...
    hands and knees, baby!
    LOL

this will be mastered, yes. i'll have a local shop do it.

scotty
    vocals buried? really? well, i'll crank em up a bit.
    there's no real hard core compression anywhere, everything is pretty light....
    high thresholds with maybe 2-3 db max, usually 2:1 or less ratios, long attacks, it should not sound compressed at all.
    only on the acoustics, did i go for actual pumping, and that's done in time with the music.

james
    middle shallow....
    you mean mix wise, or eq wise?
    i could bring a few elements into the middle more...
    the drums are mostly overhead on this one, and are more left/right

maybe this one would be a good one to break with the strict L/C/R panning i've been sticking to lately....
    i like the separation of it.
    i've got the vox eq'd different now, and came up at least a full DB as you suggested...
    part of the deal, was shortening the attack on the vox buss compressor, raising the threshold, smoothing out the vox eq at 1.5khz-3khz, and raising at 10k and up with a shelf.....
    then, it tucked in nicer, AND was louder.
    good ear.

thanks guys, moving onto the next one....

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1