finding missing plug ins while migrating over from Sonar to new cakewalk

Author
mickeymonster
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2018/04/18 23:20:50 (permalink)

finding missing plug ins while migrating over from Sonar to new cakewalk

For me, Cakewalk Sound Center (Synth Rack) and addictive drums were missing when I started opening up my existing projects in cakewalk by bandlab.  only usable in platinum, despite bandlab's stellar intentions and efforts so far.
I recovered addictive drums by opening up plug in manager under utilities and checking the show excluded and show permanently excluded boxes till addictive drums(2) showed up. Then I clicked on enable and now it works.
Cakewalk sound center was a little harder. I did a windows search on my entire c drive, which took about 10 minutes. Sound center was located in my program data and program(86) folders, which are not included in bandlab's migration default 3 vst scan folders. I added the folders to the vst scan folder list then saved it as a new plug in menu layout. I named it cakewalk by bandlab.
By doing this, I have not moved any folders, so I can continue to check new cakewalk vs sonar platinum project by project, so if the day ever comes that I can no longer open sonar, I will have proactively and independently saved every plug in I have and I'll be happy.

I urge you all to join Meng's thread asking for your feedback and instead of giving bandlab 1000 different ideas, urge him not to dismantle command center and Sonar yet. We all need time to open all our existing projects and find our missing plug ins. Opening  bandlab's version will show us which are missing, opening sonar will help us find them quickly, and the plug in manager will be how we migrate them over to the new cakewalk ourselves.
Once sonar is gone it will be harder to fix without outside help.

Special shout out to our forum host. Thanks for the inspiration.

I will continue to edit this as I discover more.

post edited by mickeymonster - 2018/04/19 19:39:52

8 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Multiple plug ins missing 2018/04/18 23:28:41 (permalink)
    In your case, the problem is an issue with the scan path or the scanner not running to completion. FWIW, starting with the next release those upgrading from a previous version of SONAR will have a different experience as the next version migrates plug-in data rather than relying on a rescan.

Also, Additive Drums is not installed by the Command Center. It relies on the XLN installer which has nothing to do with Cakewalk or BandLab.
    mickeymonster
    Re: Multiple plug ins missing 2018/04/18 23:53:56 (permalink)
    Thank you. What does that mean? "FWIW, starting with the next release those upgrading from a previous version of SONAR will have a different experience as the next version migrates plug-in data rather than relying on a rescan."

They haven't included soundcenter yet but will soon?

I still have my XLN installer. and like I said, addictive drums works on Sonar. Will bandlab include that also soon?

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Multiple plug ins missing 2018/04/19 00:07:18 (permalink)
    mickeymonster
    What does that mean? "FWIW, starting with the next release those upgrading from a previous version of SONAR will have a different experience as the next version migrates plug-in data rather than relying on a rescan."

It means the CbB upgrade process has been modifed. If a version of SONAR is detected, the existing VST inventory found in the registry will be copied into the CbB inventory. It has nothing to do with the actual plug-ins provided with CbB.

I do not believe CSC will be ported by BandLab. The synth was made redundant by Rapture Session/Pro. BandLab has announced their intention to offer Rapture Pro. The future of Rapture Session is not clear but all versions of SONAR included Rapture Session when the synth was released.

There is no reason for BandLab to include the XLN installer. SONAR never included the XLN installer. The XLN installer was and still is available from the manufacturer XLN Audio. I would not expect BandLab to give away copies of AD2 either.

All the plug-ins seen in 64bit SONAR should already be available in CbB. If they are not is it either the scan path in CbB is not the same as SONAR or the scanner failed to run to completion when run from CbB. Of course, I am assuming when you write SONAR shows plug-ins not in CbB, both programs are on the same PC.
    mickeymonster
    Re: Multiple plug ins missing 2018/04/19 00:14:17 (permalink)
    Right. I'll request they save CSC, as it is integral in all my tracks. Addictive drums works now. Do you mean rapture pro will be a purchased upgrade but the DAW will remain free? Thanks... youre super helpful

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Multiple plug ins missing 2018/04/19 00:23:11 (permalink)
    For those who have not purchased Rapture Pro already it will be a paid add-on.

CSC is a 32bit legacy synth. I cannot imagine BandLab will spend the time and money to migrate any of the legacy synths. Rapture Session was a 32/64bit synth that plays CSC, Dimension Pro and Rapture programs, in addition to a sampling of Rapture Pro content.  All versions of SONAR included Rapture Session when the synth was released. There has been no discussion about the future of Rapture Session.

There are no plans to charge for the DAW http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3745236
    GjB
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    Re: Multiple plug ins missing 2018/04/19 00:45:27 (permalink)
    scook

Good to know. Thanks.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Multiple plug ins missing 2018/04/19 12:30:18 (permalink)
    scook

CSC is a 32bit legacy synth. I cannot imagine BandLab will spend the time and money to migrate any of the legacy synths. Rapture Session was a 32/64bit synth that plays CSC, Dimension Pro and Rapture programs, in addition to a sampling of Rapture Pro content.  All versions of SONAR included Rapture Session when the synth was released. There has been no discussion about the future of Rapture Session.

There are no plans to charge for the DAW http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3745236

re-release with a new name maybe? for csc and dimpro playback it's more of a rompler than a synth, but with all those extra tweakables

just a sec

mickeymonster
    Re: Multiple plug ins missing 2018/04/19 19:31:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Everybody. Take a look at my original thread. Ts updated. I figured it out and am sharing it with you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1