floating related question

Author
neonknight
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 473
2005/09/17 12:36:45 (permalink)

floating related question

how to keep the windows of all plugins on a second monitor in a mixer view always on top...?
every time I want to adjust a parameter on the mixer all plugins dissapear behind the mixer and then I have to minimise the mixer, move the plugins to he left screen and then drag them on top of the mixer view again..
thanks!

10 Replies Related Threads

Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/17 13:27:17 (permalink)
    You should have a little "FX" labled icon, at the upper left hand corner, of each plugin window. Use either left/right mouse click and select "Enable Floating", at the bottom of the drop down menu. This will keep an open plugin window, in "always on top" mode.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

neonknight
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/17 17:35:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Billy Buck

You should have a little "FX" labled icon, at the upper left hand corner, of each plugin window. Use either left/right mouse click and select "Enable Floating", at the bottom of the drop down menu. This will keep an open plugin window, in "always on top" mode.

yes, i know this, all plugin windows are floating, otherwise I wouldn't be able to drag them to the other screen on top of the mixer view...but they still dissapear every time I click on a parameter in the mixer
    Billy Buck
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/17 18:04:19 (permalink)
    There are two selectable plugin states, Disable Floating and Enable Floating. When my plugins are in Enable Floating mode, (it will say Disable Floating, as a menu option, when in the correct mode), they do not disappear behind any other open windows, including the Mixer view. It works for me.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

neonknight
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/18 05:36:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Billy Buck

There are two selectable plugin states, Disable Floating and Enable Floating. When my plugins are in Enable Floating mode, (it will say Disable Floating, as a menu option, when in the correct mode), they do not disappear behind any other open windows, including the Mixer view. It works for me.

indeed, when they are enabled for floating, the option in the dropdown menu will be "disable floating"
    it still doesn't work for me...
    neonknight
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/18 07:22:08 (permalink)
    can someone help please?
    I use Matrox G550 dual head video card
    I have tried every possible setting, but still all plugins that I would like to keep on top of the mixer view dissapear when I click on a mixer...very frustrating! The mixer view is always on the second monitor...
    the same goes for VSTs and any other Sonar window, like Piano roll...
    thanks
    Billy Buck
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/18 07:45:28 (permalink)
    Does the enable/disable floating work on your primary monitor? Has this feature ever worked, for you before? What SONAR version are you using? I do not have a dual monitor setup, but the enable/disable floating does work on my single monitor setup, using SONAR 4.03. Maybe there is a setting, in the AUD.ini file that needs to be changed. As a registered user, you might want to consider consulting Cakewalk tech support, about this issue either via email or call them direct, on Monday morning.

dreamkeeper
    • Total Posts : 2141
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/18 07:46:20 (permalink)
    I don't have a 2nd monitor, so I can only guess. The problem seems to be that any float-enabled window has the same "priority" as all other floating ones. To drag the mixer view (or any other window) out of Sonar's main window it has to be float-enabled. With a dual monitor setup, is it possible to expand the main window over the 2nd screen? If so, you could disable floating of the mixer view and all float-enabled windows will stay on top. Again, it's only a wild guess.

werner
    neonknight
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/18 10:15:35 (permalink)
    first of all , thanks for your ideas
    I have somehow solved the problem, and after 2 hours of trying to make it work, I have come up with a solution that is I believe the only possible one...the main view has to be extended all the way to the left monitor..
    then, the console view must be disbaled for floating and dragged to the right monitor , where you will adust the size of it so it fits the right screen...but , when you click on "maximise" in the track view, it will extend all the way to the second, right monitor and cover your mixer view...that's why the track view should also manually be set to fit the left screen..
    I have saved this as the default layout..
    thanks a lot again for the input..
    p.s. if someone knows a better way to do this, speak up!
    But now everything works fine and the plugins don't dissapear when I click on the mixer...
    dreamkeeper
    • Total Posts : 2141
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/18 10:48:06 (permalink)
    Glad you figured it out!

I think this may be a Windows problem and could only be solved completely if Sonar would have a GUI that doesn't display its components in standard XP windows. Even then, I'm not sure if an application has access to the individual screen parameters, but I'm not an expert.

werner
    lazlong
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 373
    RE: floating related question 2005/09/18 18:27:13 (permalink)
    I have the same issue and I use alt+tab to cycle through all open windows. I usually close plugin GUI's when I'm not using them to make this cycling through open windows that much faster. The TV across the whole two screens is just ridiculous to my taste.

--
    RobO
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1