Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
terryj
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2017/07/08 06:19:37 (permalink)

future of Sonar

Is it time to put Sonar to bed?
I have been using Sonar since Sonar 8.5 and am now using sonar Platinum. I am now thinking of trying a different , more commonly used DAW. This is because in more and more cases, the recording hardware now available , such as keyboards, controller surfaces etc are not compatible with the Sonar software because they fail to update it. I purchased recently a behringer 61 motor keyboard which had it worked with Sonar would have been ideal but of course it didn't. Now I know there are ways round this which involves changing ddl files or the like but this solution is not good because everytime you update Sonar these changes have to be redone. 
When i look at the hardware out there that I may be interested in, nothing seems to be entirely compatible with Sonar.
I look at it this way, If I buy a new car say and there is a fault , then i take it back and get it fixed. With software there seems to be an acceptance that any conflict can be sorted out by the user using tweaks on youtube or the like. Why should this be?
Anyway I think that if Sonar is not interested in being compatible with the majority of recording hardware on the market then maybe they have little future.
Every month there seems to be updates from sonar of things we don't really need, but sorting out this lack of compatibility would I think be much more what customers are wanting.
Seems a shame, but i might be forced to look at something different.
terry
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/08 07:40:22 (permalink)
terryj
I am now thinking of trying a different , more commonly used DAW.

Do this! It is really nothing wrong with using several DAWs. As you can easily find, many Sonar users have several of them. And not just for "a DAW collection".

This is because in more and more cases, the recording hardware now available , such as keyboards,

Since "recording hardware" includes audio interfaces and keyboards, can you mention at least one hardware in that categories which is incompatible?

controller surfaces etc are not compatible with the Sonar software because they fail to update it.

Incompatible surfaces (better say surfaces without special Sonar integrations) is not something to be changed by Sonar. Producers have made the decision to not support Sonar. Using your analogy, if most CD/radios are in a form which does not fit into your car, do use think the car producer should "update" something?

I purchased recently a behringer 61 motor keyboard which had it worked with Sonar would have been ideal but of course it didn't. Now I know there are ways round this which involves changing ddl files or the like but this solution is not good because everytime you update Sonar these changes have to be redone. 

Motör should emulate Mackie. And it FAILS to do this. They simply forgot handshake. You could return it with statement "it does not do what you claim it should" (that is true and they know that) or you can use A WORKAROUND and use this "half-functioning" device with Sonar. But as every workaround, that has consequences (copy one file once per month, if you update Sonar, which you do not really need as you write later).

And finally, not so many Sonar users (really) use/need this kind of hardware. Someone who does choose it based on quality and compatibility or use 3d party custom solutions.

Claiming a company has no future if they do not support "whatever crap I have decided to buy" is pointless.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
terryj
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/08 08:50:08 (permalink)
Well AZslow, i take your point about using other Daws but I have enough trouble remembering how to use one efficiently. Anyway glad to see my questions  are generating comments, either in agreement or not.
the info available for the Motor 61 suggests it is compatible "with all your favourite DAWS". Well it ain't.
Why is it better to say "surfaces without special Sonar integrations" that sound like business jargon to me. Better to say "incompatible" I suggest , because that is what it is.
but thanks for your comments
azslow3
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/08 15:16:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/07/08 16:21:35
terryj
the info available for the Motor 61 suggests it is compatible "with all your favourite DAWS". Well it ain't.

The info and the device comes from Behringer. It is not "compatible" with Sonar because they have not implemented Mackie handshake correctly, unlike let say in X-Touch. They have decided not to invest a single cent for the compatibility "with any DAW", they just imitate Mackie Control Unit. Most DAWs "tolerate" incomplete emulation, Sonar does not. So, Behringer has produced and sold you the device. With bug. Without checking it really works with "all DAWs". So send your complains to Behringer, the company which has got your money.

Why is it better to say "surfaces without special Sonar integrations" that sound like business jargon to me. Better to say "incompatible" I suggest , because that is what it is.

"Incompatible" means "can not work with". Any existing surface, Motör inclusive, can work with Sonar. For Motör, you can easily assign transport control using Cakewalk Generic surface.

What you are asking for is the integration and simplicity of such integration. So you ask for "special Sonar integration" (which sometimes does not exist or broken, as with Motör). My claim is EVERYTHING can be integrated with Sonar, thanks to Cakewalk Open Source Control Surface API.

Your claim is that Cakewalk should spend time and money to integrate every crap on the market, without any financial benefits, with very small audience (thanks to Sonar Analytic, they know exactly how many users have each surface). Cakewalk has decided to concentrate on particular solutions, with companies ready to cooperate. F.e. Console 1.

I am helping everyone to integrate whatever they wont, for free. For explained reason, commercial interest for such integration is zero. From the money you pay for the device, at least third (sometimes much more) is for software. The company does not send that money to Cakewalk or me. How you think Cakewalk or I should proceed?

PS. I forgot to mention, some controller producers explicitly forbid (!) integration. They want control themselves which DAW is integrated and which is not.

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/08 16:19:46 (permalink)
I don't plan on moving to a different recording program, although I have some others that I got free with hardware purchases.  I have the entry level Studio One 3 and it automatically detected and setup my Behringer X-Touch.  I also have Ableton Live Lite and it too automatically set up the X-Touch.  In Sonar (Platinum) I still had to select it in MIDI Control Surfaces.  Sonar should detect and set it up like, for example, Studio One 3 or Ableton.  Thus I agree, to a limited extent with terryj.   

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
azslow3
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/08 21:16:39 (permalink)
fireberd
I don't plan on moving to a different recording program, although I have some others that I got free with hardware purchases.  I have the entry level Studio One 3 and it automatically detected and setup my Behringer X-Touch.  I also have Ableton Live Lite and it too automatically set up the X-Touch.  In Sonar (Platinum) I still had to select it in MIDI Control Surfaces.  Sonar should detect and set it up like, for example, Studio One 3 or Ableton.  Thus I agree, to a limited extent with terryj.

The difference between X-Touch and Motör is complete/incomplete Mackie emulation. That is why Sonar refuse to work with Motör. And in official Behringer video, they setup it MANUALLY in Ableton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqx1xRGZyQ

Sheanes
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 684
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/08 23:25:18 (permalink)
Hey Terry, think I understand what you feel but changing to a different DAW would not get you using your gear without problems imo.
Would advise to try get it to work in Sonar, I know it's a pain sometimes but changing DAWS is not the solution imo..
Good luck/hang in there.

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/09 09:25:49 (permalink)
These days almost every DAW is unique and has its own issues to iron out initially (which can circumnavigate by buying the entire package fully set up by a pro) and then to maintain ... which can be a major hassle when you change main components like OS upgrade, audio interface or DAW software... so while there are certainly DAW apps out which have advantages for certain applications, changing will restart the entire learning process... and you might just end up way more frustrated than when fixing what you know already

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/09 20:47:18 (permalink)
I have read a few reviews regarding the Nektar Impact series that seem to indicate it works OK with Sonar, although it does ship with Bitwig 8-Track.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpactLX61P

It seems that many other keyboards seem to be integrated with Ableton Live or other DAWs out of the box, for example the Novation Launchkey series, or M-Audio Code series.
https://www.sweetwater.co.store/detail/LaunchK2-61
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Code61BK

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/09 21:23:43 (permalink)
Cakewalk was not the one that said your Motor would work. Since Behringer said it would work with any DAW and it doesn't then that is their problem and you should take it back for a refund.

I have ran across similar situations but it is really nothing new. Some apple hardware wont work with windows and vice-versa. Windows apps won't natively work in Linux. I too don't like the "lock-in" type shenanigans but they all do it in some form or another. I'm not sure but I don't think the Cakewalk ProTools stuff will work automatically in other DAWS. Or, do they?

As to changing, that is up to you but you may find the grass across the street is only greener because it has been painted.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/10 12:26:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/07/13 13:13:28
Having DAW-hopped myself on occasion, I can tell you that it is not greener. Every DAW is broken, missing feature, or does something in a really obtuse way.  It really boils down to what you can get used to and put up with that still does everything you need it to do.

Good luck!

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/11 01:36:42 (permalink)
terryj
...in more and more cases, the recording hardware now available , such as keyboards, controller surfaces etc are not compatible with the Sonar software because they fail to update it...When i look at the hardware out there that I may be interested in, nothing seems to be entirely compatible with Sonar...Anyway I think that if Sonar is not interested in being compatible with the majority of recording hardware on the market then maybe they have little future.

Have you really come across a keyboard that's incompatible with SONAR? 

I'd also be curious to know about other recording hardware that's not compatible.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/11 19:17:32 (permalink)
 I'd bet people who make a lot of money off their music only change DAWs because they exhausted their needs before moving on.  I'm sure there are DAWs that can do more than Pro Tools but I doubt any engineer is going to switch because the familiarity is right there. Time is money for some and that excludes learning another DAW. So many are apples and oranges.  I think Studio One is one of the easiest DAWs to transition.    The best bang for buck DAW is Reaper and it goes really deep if one takes the time.  I've come across many dropping DAWs such as Cubase for Reaper.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
azslow3
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/11 20:55:14 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
 I'd bet people who make a lot of money off their music only change DAWs because they exhausted their needs before moving on.  I'm sure there are DAWs that can do more than Pro Tools but I doubt any engineer is going to switch because the familiarity is right there. Time is money for some and that excludes learning another DAW.

Such category of people will not buy Behringer Motör to find it is incompatible with something. They will go for NI S61/88 (Roland / Akai) or Kawai VPC1. And place MCU PRO+XT / Avid in the near.
(just to remind, the thread about "incompatible" devices)

So many are apples and oranges.  I think Studio One is one of the easiest DAWs to transition.    The best bang for buck DAW is Reaper and it goes really deep if one takes the time.  I've come across many dropping DAWs such as Cubase for Reaper.

I am a studio noob and not play in public. But I have already learned that different DAWs have different application areas. Many "pro" in this forum use several DAWs. For live use there is Live, for mixing there is Sonar, for stability and customization there is Reaper. And that is far from complete nor fixed list.

As suggested by a friend (noob to noob advise), I have Waveform now. And while I feel comfortable inside Sonar, from everything I have tested, Waveform is probably the only DAW which can be recommended to newcomers into computer music, because that is the only DAW which interface follows common sense (left to right, top to bottom, in progress what is required to get the sound...).

abacab
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/12 02:27:32 (permalink)
azslow3
I have Waveform now.

So do I.  I find it quite inspiring to begin creating sounds in.  It is very intuitive to setup a few tracks and get started with, as the workflow doesn't seem to get in the way.

The new MIDI creative tools in Waveform are also very cool to work with.  I think this will become my go-to scratchpad for new ideas!

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/12 15:26:03 (permalink)
I'm investing in Sonar's future.
I've used it since 2003-ish, and it does exactly what I need.  And from what I've learned in this forum, it will likely supercede my expectations if I choose to get adventurous in a new direction.
The respected producer/engineer that I work with often says exactly the same about his MOTU Digital Performer DAW.

if I was buying a new keyboard or controller, I would do a lot of internet research to make sure that it was compatible with whatever DAW I was using.  Research would also show the deficiencies with each combination, so I could see what I can live with and without.  As such, I've never had the "surprises" that came up with the Behringer.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/12 15:42:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/07/13 18:37:18
I'm getting rid of my Toyota Camry XLE because the 2017 Delorean doors won't fit it properly.  Every time I press the button for the custom doors to rise open, they fall off of my Camary.  

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Ham N Egz
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 12:45:23 (permalink)
you really want to read hate and ignorance? Go to GS/KVR/etc and read the negative posts about Sonar AND our forums . more than half the comments are from parrot heads and sheep who never owned a piece of Cake software or if they did it was an early version with, understandably, issues.

They lambast users on our forums as fanboys and mean and cruel to negative comments, BUT!!!!
if you read the original negative comments they are NOT in a constructive fashion but biased,conjecture, aand not based on actual results but instead, opinions.

Yes SOnar products are not for everyone, some workflows dont fit .OK thats fine, just say " it doesnt work for me" thank you for the fish, and move on...

But no, they have to be drama queens and get their 15 minutes of social media fame by posting fluff ( I blame the likes of Facebook and their ilk for fostering this self centered  attitude)

/rant off

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 12:50:25 (permalink)
Ham N Egz
you really want to read hate and ignorance? Go to GS/KVR/etc and read the negative posts about Sonar AND our forums . more than half the comments are from parrot heads and sheep who never owned a piece of Cake software or if they did it was an early version with, understandably, issues.

They lambast users on our forums as fanboys and mean and cruel to negative comments, BUT!!!!
if you read the original negative comments they are NOT in a constructive fashion but biased,conjecture, aand not based on actual results but instead, opinions.

Yes SOnar products are not for everyone, some workflows dont fit .OK thats fine, just say " it doesnt work for me" thank you for the fish, and move on...

But no, they have to be drama queens and get their 15 minutes of social media fame by posting fluff ( I blame the likes of Facebook and their ilk for fostering this self centered  attitude)

/rant off

Agreed ... except for that last part.  Forks/spoons/knives don't make me gain weight.  Just sayin'!

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 13:40:19 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
 I'd bet people who make a lot of money off their music only change DAWs because they exhausted their needs before moving on.  I'm sure there are DAWs that can do more than Pro Tools but I doubt any engineer is going to switch because the familiarity is right there. Time is money for some and that excludes learning another DAW.

As it happens, most, maybe all DAWs can do more than ProTools once you go beyond the capabilities of e.g. Garagebend or some of the "introductory" versions of other DAWs. Especially regarding MIDI, where ProTools was well behind the curve for a long time. The first 64bit DAW was SOnar, not ProTools, and ProTools has limits in some areas that other's don't. I think you're quite right that the main reason many studios have hung on to Pro Tools is familiarity. Another factor, less important now perhaps, is that until relatively recently ProTools only worked with very specific and very expensive hardware but because of that there was a high degree of certainty it would work and just in case it didn't you took out a support contract. So once that investment was made it made sense to get the maximum value out of it.

ProTools was also very early into the market, and promised a workflow familiar to engineers used to working with tape. So many studios chose it when shifting from tape to digital, or even while still recording to tape but wanting to be able to do non-destructive editing by copying the tape into PT, working on the audio then re-recording it to tape.

Which in turn lead to ProTools becoming a de-facto "industry standard" and some musicians even now mistakenly thinking a studio isn't "pro" if it doesn't use ProTools.

As for hardware compatability with DAWs, outside Avid stuff for Pro Tools and some of the dedicated Live controllers there's sometimes quirks and workarounds involved. Logic, for example, can handle most things easily enough except 12-bit MIDI NRPNs which are handled horribly in comparision to Sonar.

But if a hardware manufacturer says "this product is 100% plug-and-play compatible with DAW X" and it isn't, that's the fault of the hardware manufacturer, not the fault of the DAW builder. Sure, Sonar could do with some work on the controller side of things, but even then there'll still be "100% Mackie compatible" controllers which aren't, or "Built for DAW X" hardware that needs work-arounds and has bugged firmware. Which is why it's always a good idea to research what hardware can do in the real wrld before parting with money.

Sometimes spotting what the manufacturer doesn't say can be more important than what they do say as well.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
abacab
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 13:53:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2017/07/13 14:00:54
I have always found the hardware mouse is compatible with any DAW or VST.  Just sayin! 

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 15:21:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/07/13 15:45:29
@OP

The situation with having to change (update) dlls after updating Sonar isn't so different than Adobe After-Effects users having to reinstall extensions after updating After-Effects.
It's really not that time consuming.

BTW, No matter which DAW software you choose, you're going to make some degree of compromise.
They all have strengths/weaknesses.
It doesn't hurt to have a couple different tools in the toolbox.
The "perfect DAW"... by committee...

Another thing to think about:
A lot of controllers have come/gone over the past 20 years.
How many actually survive and are supported for a significant period of time?
If you were running the company and had to choose where to spend resources, would third-party MIDI controllers (that likely won't be around 2 years from now) be a high priority?
In today's economic climate, tough choices have to be made.
Mackie Control is somewhat of a "standard"... but it's not a strict standard (thus the issues with certain controllers including Machine/Studio).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
tlw
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 15:45:17 (permalink)
abacab
I have always found the hardware mouse is compatible with any DAW or VST.  Just sayin! 

Unless you're using Mixbus on a Mac. Mixbus requires a three button mouse, Mac mice and trackpads are very good and have lots of gesture controls etc. but not the third button Mixbus wants. Luckily a basic three button mouse is very cheap these days.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
tlw
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 15:59:38 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
A lot of controllers have come/gone over the past 20 years.
How many actually survive and are supported for a significant period of time?

This is why I much prefer controllers and MIDI interfaces that are Core MIDI/Windows class compliant over ones which require specific drivers from the manufacturer. All too often the product gets dropped from the driver update line a long time before it wears out. And controllers haven't changed much really over the last 20+ years, and even the new controllers such as the Roli and QuNexus, which make expressive playing much easier than using a keyboard plus a foot controller and a breath controller, still rely on basic MIDI for their functions. Even polyphonic aftertouch still hasn't taken off even though modern computers are much more likely to be handle the huge amount of data it generates than those of less than a decade ago.

Same with software synths and plugins - at some point the OS or DAW is likely to get an update that means they don't work any more, or the coders go bust and it becomes impossible to authorise their products. It's the downside of the digital revolution in a way, and those of us who are old enough will have had a bunch of computers, printers, scanners and even cameras that still work but we "retired" them because at some point a new version was much faster, better, or you couldn't get ink for that printer any more and so on.

Jim Roseberry
If you were running the company and had to choose where to spend resources, would third-party MIDI controllers (that likely won't be around 2 years from now) be a high priority?

Well, they wouldn't be for me if I was running the company. I'd make sure my software was compatible with the industry's most common "standards" and let the hardware manufacturers worry about making sure their product actually met that standard. Though if I was a hardware company as well as a software one I might produce controllers designed to work seamlessly with my software. But Roland did that when they owned Cakewalk and we all know what happened to their Sonar-dedicated line of controllers.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 18:40:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2017/07/13 18:58:05
tlw
Unless you're using Mixbus on a Mac

First problem.
BobF
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 18:58:27 (permalink)
tlw

Jim Roseberry

Well, they wouldn't be for me if I was running the company. I'd make sure my software was compatible with the industry's most common "standards" and let the hardware manufacturers worry about making sure their product actually met that standard. Though if I was a hardware company as well as a software one I might produce controllers designed to work seamlessly with my software. But Roland did that when they owned Cakewalk and we all know what happened to their Sonar-dedicated line of controllers.

I don't expect special coding for each specific make/model.  It sure would be nice to have a straight-forward, robust mapping capability though.  Simplicity and completeness for the user.  I have one DAW that excels at this with dead simple context sensitive mapping to boot.  Unfortunately, there are other things it doesn't do as easily as SONAR.

Bob  --
--

tlw
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 20:44:53 (permalink)
Ham N Egz
Go to GS/KVR/etc and read the negative posts about Sonar AND our forums

Go there and read posts about anything and you come away wondering if anything works at all or any maker of anything ever utters a true word. Analogue synths and guitar gear frequently gets slated for being "digital" when it's no such thing, and the old whatever it is is you can't buy any more is always praised by someone as so much better than the current version of the same thing. Even if the current one is exactly the same as the old one.

The signal to noise ratio can be very low at times.

abacab
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 20:51:15 (permalink)
How about a Mackie control app for Windows that you could just run from a touchscreen as 2nd monitor?  Sort of like a control pad app for iPad, but completely integrated with Windows and Sonar?

No hardware development investment required, just some creative software engineering.  And a virtual MIDI cable.

azslow3
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 21:58:39 (permalink)
abacab
How about a Mackie control app for Windows that you could just run from a touchscreen as 2nd monitor?  Sort of like a control pad app for iPad, but completely integrated with Windows and Sonar?

No hardware development investment required, just some creative software engineering.  And a virtual MIDI cable.

For some reason that does not exist... I guess no market. I have found only one App in that direction. Logically, who is going to use windows tablet for the purpose? Cheap tablets can also run Andoroid, expensive can run Sonar.

BobF
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 22:27:08 (permalink)
abacab

Maybe http://ctrlr.org/ will get you a step or two in that direction.

Bob  --
--

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1