general process of MIDI sequencing?

Author
robb43
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2007/02/12 16:47:49 (permalink)

general process of MIDI sequencing?

Is there a book or a website that tells the basic process of realizing a piece of printed music through MIDI sequencing?

I've done it myelf, but the results I get are sloppy -- I could go adjust all the notes myself, but I want the program to do that.

What I want to do:
Take a piece of printed music.
Play it on a keyboard and record the MIDI.
Put the entire piece together with a MIDI sequencer so I can play back the complete piece from the MIDI sequencer.
I want to be able to shape the piece. Add my own nuances. I want it to sound like me playing. I don't want it to sound like it's a computer.

I have done this with a lot of work myself. Without using the sequencing program options. Sometimes I play through the piece as much as I can, getting the tempo down at least. Then I create a reference track for the beats -- That's my "conductor" and it's me being more like a metronome. I don't use the software metronome because I want to capture my own beat nuances -- and I don't quite know the software well enough to do that yet apparently. After I have the "conductor" track down, I play the piece on a piano/MIDI keyboard and piece it together. Then I can adjust volume, correct missed notes, etc.

The biggest problem I notice is that my notes don't exactly line up vertically, and that is what I would like to fix.

I am using Sonar XL 2.2. I don't think I need an updated version of the program. I've already bought Sonar 2 Power (long ago) and I want to master this MIDI sequencing already. I think the program can do what I want. I just can't figure out how to do it perfectly.

I'm still having problems with
- Trying to line notes up with 'fit to improvisation.' Something's wrong there. I created a thread about it just before this one.
- I'm still getting MIDI latency. I play for awhile and SOMETIMES after I play a bit, the notes will come out late. That's definitely a problem, not to mention extremely annoying.
- My computer still runs at 100% when I'm recording or playing back. I'm betting that has a lot to do with the latency. The computer is getting behind after awhile. But it goes at 100% as soon as I start recording -- without me having played any notes. I made a thread about it before and it doesn't seem right. I'm just recording MIDI.
- I took a lot of stuff off my computer. Now it doesn't seem to heat up like it used to. Before if it was going 100%, it would actually get hot -- so hot it would shut itself off I realized after awhile. I had to reformat twice before I realized what was going on. Now, after deleted several programs, it's running cooler. I still haven't quite figured that out, but it's cooler. There's less on the hard drive now -- before it was nearly full. I think it has more ability to use the hard drive to supplement the RAM.

What I'm wondering -- Is there any book or website out there that tells generally how to realize a piece of music through MIDI sequencing? I remember something by Don Muro -- "Basic of MIDI sequencing" or something, but it was too general. What I'm looking for is "How to realize a piece of music through MIDI sequencing using Sonar 2.2 XL" I guess. I have Sonar 2 Power and the user guide. I also have "Sonar 2 Quickstart" by Craig Anderton -- better, but not as helpful for me.

I've invested in Sonar and those help books, so I don't want to change. But... if I have to, I'm willing to spend some money. I was considering buying a new computer -- just for MIDI sequencing -- maybe a new sequencing program, whatever I needed to make this finally happen.

Any advice? Very much appreciated. I've been working on this project since around 2000. I'm very interested in MIDI sequencing and creating a realization of a piece of music that sounds as close to real as possible -- doing all that myself with MIDI. I still think it's possible, but I'm getting majorly bogged down.

Thanks for any help.

12 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/12 19:55:30 (permalink)
    you can go to any major chain book store and find a how to for midi and everything else. theres also thousands of web sites with tons of info for midi.

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    robb43
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/12 22:15:07 (permalink)
    Thousands of books/site about MIDI -- but not about how to sequence. The books and sites I've found tell what it is, how to hook things up, the history of MIDI, and a little about recording.

They haven't answered my questions -- How can I use MIDI sequencing to shape a piece of music?

It's very disappointing. I'm wondering if it's even possible. It must be. Maybe it's just my stuff.

My computer still goes at 100% when I record or playback. The computer could be the cause for the delay -- MIDI latency -- between my actual fingers on the keys and the sound that comes out of the keyboard when the computer is in control. I did some more playing and heard the same MIDI latency effect again. Disconnect from the computer, go back to global on, and my keyboard plays like normal. I wonder if my computer can handle it. But it's not like MIDI takes up a lot of processing power from what I understand. My computer isn't terribly ancient. It should easily be able to handle MIDI. As far as I know... but maybe the exact precise timing I want is beyond MIDI. Which explains why I haven't met anyone successful at doing what I'm trying either.

Sorry to be negative. It's just very disappointing.

I wonder if I'm better just hiring musicians for the price of things I've purchased attempting to do this.

This evening I created a track that was quantized and sterilly "perfect." I recorded a reference track, just playing on the beats. Then I did the "fit improvisation" function. I took notes. The reference track is left untouched. The tempo is very adjusted -- I see that in the tempo view. The previously recorded track had its notes moved backward slightly.

I read the manual -- actually the manual, the Sonar Power 2 book's section, and the Anderton book had nothing on this aspect -- the books say 'fit improvisation' changes the tempo. I still haven't figured it out. I guess I was assuming it would take the grid of beats and adjust that to my improv track. It definitely doesn't do that. It only appears to affect the tempo and the placement of the previously recorded notes.

I tried doing fit improv more times. It makes the previously recorded track squish together more -- doubles the time, then quadruples.

I'm just disappointed. I'm wondering if it's my computer. If I've made a huge mistake -- I've invested money in the keyboard, the computer, the Sonar software, external equipment to record.... not to mention the time. I wonder if this idea is even possible. But I've heard people have done somethign like it. It must be possible. Something's messed up with my stuff. I'm wondering if buying a new computer is a good idea. I'm wondering if scraping Sonar is a good idea. I used Cakewalk in college. When I purchased my own stuff I found out Cakewalk had become Sonar so I bought what I thought was the best -- Sonar 2. I realized my computer couldn't handle doing MIDI playing and recording the audio at the same time -- My computer crashed twice and I had to reformat. Big heartattack with that situation. I got external recording equipment so the computer only has to handle MIDI. Apparently it can't handle MIDI precisely. And now I'm thinking Sonar, or at least Sonar 2, can't handle adjusting things to a nuanced human tempo. I wonder if I should have taken more time picking a software program... or maybe none of them can do this?

Any advice? Real advice? Is there anyone else I can go to with this? Any other software that does what I'm thinking of -- shaping a piece of music?

Sorry to rant. I know for certain I've been working on this project-idea for at least seven years. It's just really frustrating to find out it may have been for nothing. Seven years, yes, but that's during the spare time I can put together when I'm not working -- when I have time to focus in on the project.

Thanks again. I'll keep on it of course.

And it's not letting me post this reply... :) I am not having luck with comptuers today....
    robb43
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/12 22:21:00 (permalink)
    Maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms when I hunt for information on how to sequence precisely. I've used terms like .... sequencing, MIDI, realization I don't know....

I want to create a CD quality recording of a MIDI sequenced realization of a piece of music. Something that has shape. Something virtually indistinguishable from a live human performance. I've already done piano pieces that fool the layperson. Still, those recordings have flaws -- my flaws from performance. I want to get them perfect -- esp to get the notes to line up perfectly vertically. That's insane to do it manually for all the notes.
    gnie
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/13 08:30:39 (permalink)
    You seem to have a number of issues. I would focus on getting your PC running well.
    I assume you've discussed sound cards, latency settings, etc. in other threads...?
    As far as creating a sequence that satisfies your artistic goals...well, there's no easy way to do that. You can quantize and fit to improv all you like, but it's not going to feel as if each note has been caressed unless you've actually done so.
    That being said, you might look at a program called Super Conductor. It's supposed to let you control performances at the root, so to speak. It's not cheap, though.
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/13 14:57:24 (permalink)
    There are two major factors of realistic MIDI sequencing: quantization and velocity. Quantization corrects the timing of Midi events and velocity affects the amplitude (volume, ie dynamic range)

I don't use the software metronome because I want to capture my own beat nuances

All MIDI quantization is based on the master clock. So you have to record to the software metronome for any quantization feature to work. Dont worry, it won't eliminate the beat nuances in your playing, unless quantization is set to "100% on record." I always quantize after recording and never 100%, usually 85-92% percent depending on how ragged i want it to sound. The quantization is what makes notes line up vertically. If the song has tempo changes they can be programed into the sequence as well.

i hope this is helpful.

p.s. i just read your other post and see theres more to your poblem than i saw at first. i'll fiddle around in sonar and see if i can figure out anything more.
    post edited by kayehl - 2007/02/13 15:30:07
    robb43
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/13 21:18:37 (permalink)
    Thanks. All input is helpful.

I can't be the only one doing this. I don't think what I'm asking for is out of line -- getting the software to do the tedious, menial things like lining up all the notes to strike at exactly the same time.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like my original method was the best maybe. I set the tempo at 100 and then recorded my conductor track and used that for my own reference. I adjusted everything myself. I'm at the point where that's tedious and I think I can get better results if the software could do it. I finally got enough learned and the book to attempt that.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=822364&mpage=1&key=󈱝
    That's my other thread.

Latency is still a problem. I haven't attempted to overcome that since that previous thread. It's annoying to hear it now. I'm more aware of it. Slight, but still present.

Getting a new computer and new sequencer software is an option, although expense. I was told when I got my current stuff that it would do everything I wanted. That makes me leary about spending a lot of money just to end up in the same situation.
    robb43
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/13 21:47:23 (permalink)
    Hmmm.... I'm not sure about SuperConductor. It looks like it has your computer generating the sounds. I want to use MIDI to control my own keyboard. I was thinking later I might figure out how to get more sounds than my keyboard can generate. The keyboard sounds I have now are decent, but I think there is probably better out there by now. I'm not suing General MIDI sounds. My keyboard sounds sound like video game sounds -- You know what instrument it is, but you also know it's not a real instrument (unless it's piano or possibly strings). Good enough to fool a layperson when I've played recordings of the keyboard to them though.
    robb43
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/13 21:50:33 (permalink)
    What is "fit improvisation" exactly? The manual, none of the books, nothing really says exactly what it is.

It adjust the tempo settings of the other previously recorded tracks to my reference track? Is that it? But my attempts with it didn't get that. It just seemed to distort the other previous track a bit. I'm thinking maybe fit improvisation can't really adjust too much away from the beat grid of the program.
    robb43
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/13 21:52:20 (permalink)
    Any thoughts on MOTO's Digital Performer? That was recommended at one point. It looks like it is only for Mac though.
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/14 02:57:54 (permalink)
    menial things like lining up all the notes to strike at exactly the same time

this is what quantization does. but it uses the master clock as a basis so you have to play to the metronome to use it.

The keyboard sounds I have now are decent, but I think there is probably better out there by now. I'm not suing General MIDI sounds. My keyboard sounds sound like video game sounds

if your keyboard is 7 years old there may be some better sounding models out now. There are some fairly decent sounding general midi keyboards that can do multi timbral playback available now for under $200. And jumping up to the pro audio qualty is possible in the $500 range

Getting a new computer and new sequencer software is an option

i think sonar can do everything you need. it does sound like your computer maybe underpowered if it is overheating etc.

What is "fit improvisation" exactly?

'fit improvisation' is used when you have a recorded audio track with tempo changes, and you wish to overdub using midi. it lets you create a tempo track that follows the recorded audio.

l hope this is helpful.
    robb43
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/14 14:43:16 (permalink)
    Yes, everything is helpful.

Fit improv is meant to adjust audio? That's new to me, but it could explain my confusion. I'm not working with audio at all. MIDI only. I'm still not sure what fit improvisation is doing to my previously reocorded tracks.

I'm wondering now if I should create a sterile "perfect" recording of a piece and then adjust it somehow to get my human nuances again. There must be a way to do that. That way I get the lined up note perfect, I can adjust the notes for velocity so nothing's far out of whack, etc.

I've looked into other sequencer programs a little. They just don't say if they will do this stuff.
    robb43
    RE: general process of MIDI sequencing? 2007/02/14 14:45:10 (permalink)
    Oh. My keyboard was $2,000. Better than any general MIDI for sure. I'm willing to spend the money if that's what it takes. I just want to know that the stuff I buy will actually do what I want.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1