getting gruff vocals

Author
wickerman
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1039
2008/02/05 16:59:22 (permalink)

getting gruff vocals

First off, I'm not a singer by any means. I need to track some vocal parts that have some Hetfield-type gruff to them, nothing major.

Problem is - I can't seem to get my throat to relax, and when I try to do so - it just hurts, so I stop right then. I've tried warm tea to loosen the vocal cords - hasn't helped. I've tried after I've been 'singing' otrher vocal tracks with no change.

Do any of you guys have any tips or techniques to get a rougher vocal? Or am I outta luck?

22 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 17:04:48 (permalink)
    Try recording first thing after you wake up before you do ANY talking or eating.
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 17:14:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wickerman
    First off, I'm not a singer by any means. I need to track some vocal parts that have some Hetfield-type gruff to them, nothing major.

Problem is - I can't seem to get my throat to relax, and when I try to do so - it just hurts, so I stop right then. I've tried warm tea to loosen the vocal cords - hasn't helped. I've tried after I've been 'singing' otrher vocal tracks with no change.

Do any of you guys have any tips or techniques to get a rougher vocal? Or am I outta luck?

For years, I've been the guy in the band willing to Kamikaze my voice and sing all the dirty stuff. I'm not built for it, but I'm stupid, so I do it anyway. By the end of a night of singing, I can't. In fact, I can't speak much. At this point, since I gig rather irregularly, it takes me 2-3 days to get my voice back.

I have a good friend who can rip it up all night, every night, without a problem. Recently, he started filling in on drums, and picked up a couple of tunes to sing, all of which require this style vocal.

He's the quietest singer I've ever mic'd! He's WHISPERING that rip-it-up style, for crying out loud!

So, try that. I've tried it in the studio a couple of times since I realized what he was doing, and by gosh, it works, and doesn't hurt.

Good luck!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 17:18:21 (permalink)
    Uhhhh, I'm not sure that's good advice there Frank. I think he's talking about a loud tonal pushing vocal. Doing that type of singing without warming up a properly conditioned voice can cause permanent vocal chord damage. Doing Metallica (Hetfield type) singing is something that you either have or you don't. You can get closer to that sound by working on warming up gradually, and practicing breathing techniques such as diaphram (sic?) control. That technique he uses is very deceptive. He has a very powerful voice, that makes you think you can emulate it by forcing yourself to sing "gruffly". Trust me, you cant. I'm not trying to be a killjoy here. Just trying to keep you from hurting yourself.

Randy

p.s. When I said you "either got it or you don't", try to imagine any singer you want, that has a strong "clear" voice, trying to sing like Hetfield. Say, Steve Perry from Journey, or someone along those lines. Tough to do.

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 18:07:58 (permalink)
    I guess the standard scheme is 50 years of whiskey and cigarettes, right?

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    jerotas
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 439
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 18:08:13 (permalink)
    I have the opposite problem. I have to really think about it to NOT growl on vocals lol. I'm in a Dio tribute band, I can't help it. It's not something you can pick up right away. Keep practicing at it. Make sure you keep drinking lots of water during multiple takes or at a gig. All that friction you're creating on the throat needs lubrication. I would think the "quiet growling" mentioned above would sound un-ballsy and as weak as a weak falsetto sounds on heavy songs.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 19:19:34 (permalink)
    Whisper really quiet with the mic up close and the gain cranked. Seriously.

Getting that gravelly "fire" from lots of harmonics in the voice is a learned skill. It should *NOT* hurt, at all, and it is completely different from constipated screaming. If you're coughing or your voice is cracking, or especially, if your throat hurts, stop what you're doing.

The "fire" comes from the part of the palette you use, not from volume, and definitely not from straining. It is almost counter-intuitive, but it comes from singing through the ttop of the mouth and nose more than the diaprhagm, as most singers are taught. It is usually much easier to get the hang of it by singing at whisper-level, and that can actually record very effectively, especially if you have a mic with a big proximity effect. A whispered voice can sound huge if it's well-recorded.

With practice, you can learn to open up your diaphragm and still direct the sound through the soft palette to get that aggro "roar" or metal howl at full volume, which can be very impressive even from an otherwise limited singer, but most singers starting out tend to just blow out their larnx trying to sound tough, which is completely self-defeating. It makes the voice sound whiny and temper-tantrum-ish, and it also causes damage to the vocal chords that over time results not in a tough-sounding "fire," but in a hollow tuneless croak more like Lou Reed than James Hetfield. Smoke, drink, and other such damage have a similar effect-- not the good "fire," but the rattly lunch-lady wheeze, like an old junkie more than a werewolf.

Cheers.
    Randy P
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 20:03:46 (permalink)
    I wish I could explain things as eloquently as Yep. I do take some comfort that I was close to what he said. Just barely.

Randy

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    yep
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 21:38:52 (permalink)
    PS-- I skipped over a couple concepts above, and those untrained in voice may be unfamilliar...

The part of the voice which creates the harmonics that we hear as "fire" or "gravel" or "throatiness" is known as the "soft palatte" in music terminology. It refers both to an anatomical structure in the back of the mout/throat, as well as to a particular "voice" used in music.

Musicalogically, when we hear the term "soft palette," it is usually referring to a "soft" voice with a breathy, whispery quality. Actually, this stuff is best illustrated with a sound example. So if you're willing to suffer through my singing (!), see here:

http://stashbox.org/v/79076/Different_palettes.MP3

Download the mp3 file to hear the different voices as poorly delivered by yours truly. Notice that, while there is some plosive action on the gruff "fire" voice, it is just breath bursts, not any actual change in volume.

Cheers.

Edit:
    Just to clarify, the linked recording was just a single clip-- there is no mixing or editing, no effects, no gain change or anything like that. So while the voices may have a lounder or softer "sound," they are all at the volume you hear them, basically conversation-level. Again, I'm not much of a singer, the point is just to illustrate that it's technique, not level, that changes the sound.
    post edited by yep - 2008/02/05 22:10:29
    Player
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 21:39:01 (permalink)
    Yep, what about Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Tom Petty, Neil Young, and all those guys with kind of low voices who sing kind of hign? In addition, how about The Boss, how does he do his concert thing and still have a voice after all these years? No nodes!
    yep
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/05 22:06:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Player

Yep, what about Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Tom Petty, Neil Young, and all those guys with kind of low voices who sing kind of hign? In addition, how about The Boss, how does he do his concert thing and still have a voice after all these years? No nodes!

Again, these guys are emphatically *NOT* straining or hurting their throats when they sing. When you sing in the "soft palette" (listen to the example above) you are basically just singing the harmonics, so it effectively sounds an octave higher than your "normal" voice. That's why guys like Axel Rose talk in a baritone but sing in a high tenor. Incidentally, a lot of rock singers who are very good at smoothly switching palletes seem to have a huge range. Dio and David Coverdale come to mind, and the singer from Blind Guardian is awesome at it.

these techniques would not cut it in the classical world, but with a little practice, it's pretty easy to slip from whatever your normal range is into a not-quite-falsetto "soft palette" version that sounds a fifth or an octave higher.

Springsteen is just using that exaggerated "fire" palette. Once it "clicks," you can sing in that gravelly voice all night with zero soreness or strain, seriously. If it hurts, stop. You're doing it wrong, for real. And it's not whiskey or cigarettes, it's technique.

Cheers.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/06 03:00:50 (permalink)
    I cant relate to these "techniques". Interesting. Im a natural tenor, 1st tenor and counter alto, but my voice isnt really too high when I talk, but not low either.

Maybe a natural tenor voice works different then these peoples voices yep? You got me thinking, and when it comes to singing, I have all the confidence in the world. It is what I do. Interesting notion.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    yep
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/06 08:43:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Lanceindastudio

I cant relate to these "techniques". Interesting. Im a natural tenor, 1st tenor and counter alto, but my voice isnt really too high when I talk, but not low either.

Maybe a natural tenor voice works different then these peoples voices yep? You got me thinking, and when it comes to singing, I have all the confidence in the world. It is what I do. Interesting notion.

Your natural range doesn't really matter, it's just a matter of using the voice differently. A natural tenor might sound more like the guy from AC/DC than Metallica, for instance. Focusing on harmonics instead of the fundamental tends to make the voice sound somewhat higher in register, but it also makes it a little less pitch-specific. The "soft palette" is a real music term. The "fire palette" is something I just made up to refer to that kind of super-throaty singing that metal and hard rock acts are into.

Again, probably the easiest way to start experimenting with this stuff is at whisper-level, and then over time you can learn to open up and make the same sounds at full voice. If you start out trying to sound "rock" right away, most people just end up straining and damaging their voice.

Cheers.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/06 10:44:06 (permalink)
    I'm not sure this adds anything.....but in case it does....

I DO recall that on the liner notes of a Whitesnake album Coverdale's "equipment list" was simply, "Jack Daniels, Marlboro Reds, and a Wing and a Prayer." I couldn't help notice that he left Tawny off that list. And though I suppose he was somewhat kidding, those elements in conjunction with age and a hard lived road life all play into the final character of his voice - as well as a natural tendancy toward that style of vocal coupled with great control of all of the physical aspects of singing (breathing, diaphram, etc.)

I listened to YEP's MP3 of the different pallets. Those are legit. I'll buy it to a certain degree - though as he pointed out it could maybe be more instructional coming from someone who can actually sing really well. (No offense, Yep!)

Good technique is still required. Good diaphram support is still the key. You can "fake it" by singing from your throat, but that could lead to injury either immediately or over time. These guys who use that "fire pallet" and are good at it - while not straining - are still singing quite powerfully and not just from the throat. And the funny thing is that they sound like they're trashng their throats.

To clarify....for my own sake.....by powerfully, I don't necessarily mean LOUD. I mean that the power of the diaphram is actually "compressed" below/behind the vocal chords. It's sort of squeezed off more so than usual and projected to a different part of the pallet. Most of these guys who sing like that can do so loudly or fairly quietly. As Yep mentioned, it's a whole different way of singing. Almost a whole different way the air HITS the vocal cords, and a different path through the mouth.

Some guys can "whisper" it and pull it off....some guys can't. And many times, if you have to whisper it, layering will help as long as you can't hear the individual takes. Keep them tight.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    yep
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/06 11:09:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: skullsession
    ...Coverdale's "equipment list" was simply, "Jack Daniels, Marlboro Reds, and a Wing and a Prayer."... those elements in conjunction with age and a hard lived road life all play into the final character of his voice...

Just to clarify:

"Character" or "a good voice" or any of that is completely independent of whether one uses the hard, soft, or "fire" palette, and certainly the entirety of one's talent, anatomy, and life experience come into play to create a singer with rich expressiveness, soulful delivery, and a compelling voice. Probably the vast majority of great rock singers have lived varying degrees of unhealthy lifestyles, draw what conclusions you will.

My point is not to take a pro- or anti- stance on anyone's lifestyle choices, only to point out that throat damage is not where the "fire" voice comes from. If you wish to live a life that is unhealthy or damaging to your throat or larynx or whatever, that's your business, and I am certainly in no position to throw stones in that respect. But if you're sucking down bourbon and camels to try and get that "roughness," you are apt to end up disappointed with the results in more ways than one. If you have technique, you can smoke or drink or whatever and sing the metal all night long and you'll do no more damage to your larynx than the smoking and drinking would do to a soft crooner. If you don't have the technique, then you can drink and smoke your brains out and merely sound like a tuneless hysterical girl with a cold by blowing out your larynx. If you don't smoke or drink, you can continue to not smoke or drink and still develop the "fire" technique.

Cheers.
    wickerman
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/06 11:12:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback. I had wondered once about the whispering technique, but thought that the lack of air movement would yield results that sounded fake. Apparently it is possible, I'll play with it and build however I can off of it. That example s great yep, that's very helpful to me. I do think I should start off at low levels and see if it's something I could work up into a louder volume over time.

Thanks again for the responses, I'll give it shot and see how I can make it work for me.
    Randy P
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/06 11:27:11 (permalink)
    +1 to Yep again. Regarding being able to sing higher, when singing in "grinder mode" (my term), I find that to be very true. I'm currently working on a song that I'm singing in a loud, growling, howling type voice. After warming up for about 30 minutes last night, I recorded a scratch vocal track. I really went after a couple of notes towards the end that I hadn't thought of going for, but as the performance felt so good, it just kinda happened. Upon playback, my wife commented "Hard to believe you used to do that for 4 sets a night, 5 nights a week". My throat didn't hurt, so it must have just been physical memory that enabled me to get my breath control right. I haven't sung that way for about 15 years. Back in my 20's, it was Bud, Crown Royal, and Marlboro Reds. Thankfully, most those vices are just memories now. Kinda fun to know I still got it, somewhat.

Randy

jacktheexcynic
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/09 18:12:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Player

if you get a chance check out tom petty's performance at the superbowl. he was barely singing. didn't work out for him as well live but it's probably a different story in the studio.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jacktheexcynic
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/09 18:15:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: yep
    Springsteen is just using that exaggerated "fire" palette. Once it "clicks," you can sing in that gravelly voice all night with zero soreness or strain, seriously. If it hurts, stop. You're doing it wrong, for real. And it's not whiskey or cigarettes, it's technique.

another example of this: listen to audioslave's first album (audioslave) and their second album (out of exile). chris cornell's vocals sound strung out on the first (not bad, mind you) but not on the second. the difference was he stopped drinking, smoking, etc.

- jack the ex-cynic
    wickerman
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/10 16:26:32 (permalink)
    I recorded some tracks last night - after going at it for about 20 minutes I found my level to be higher. I think it went okay, I've got a lot of mixing to do before I know if I'm happy with it - but the rough sound is alright.

That's good to find out, eh Randy? You've got a nice voice that fits well to your music. I checked out some of the halftime show Jack, he sounded good - but it was clear it wasn't high energy singing going on there. I just quit smoking about a month ago, and I can tell a difference in lung capacity already.
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/11 09:56:29 (permalink)
    All good advice here. Beware any time you are feeling tension in your voice. Your larynx should drop (like it does when you're yawning), not rise when you are singing. A couple of rock singers I've worked with do some odd kind of warm ups. One is to kind of hum quietly in an almost cat-purring like sound. The closest I can desribe it is sort of that Elmer Fudd type of tone (you know, "Be Vewy Quiet..."). It's done by relaxing, not tensing the voice. This tone is used largely as they transition from consonants to vowels in phases they want to punch. You can sometimes help them get the sound they want with careful mic placement as well, going for overtones and keeping the mic above the chin to avoid a heavy nasal sound.
    Randy P
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/11 13:06:17 (permalink)
    Thanks Terry.

Check out the collab just posted in the songs forum I did with "marcos". This has the sort of gruff vocal I mentioned in my earlier post.

Randy

rotaholic
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: getting gruff vocals 2008/02/11 15:49:37 (permalink)
    Our singer is one of the better singers I have ever heard, apart from famous singers of course. The thing is we are limited to his vocal, theres no way he can get any growl out of his voice and hes tried alot. I think you are just born with it.

I dont like the foo fighters, but man Dave Groll can belt out a mean vocal when hes screaming.

I still prefer a Mike Patern, Fredie Mercury vocal to a linkin park, blindspot scream.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1