good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime?

Author
celticpiping
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2010/08/01 20:25:06 (permalink)

good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime?

Evenin lads, here's the situation tinite:

Have a bass through the Presonus
The signal is really strong(I cannot stop clipping)
I tried reducing the trim on the track.

I then tried to insert an effect in th eFX area..
but after trying several effects, CAkewalk, Sonic Fountry..I'm getting
no noticeable effect on the signal, while monitoring?

I'm trying various compressor patches, and a limiter, etc..

So, how do you guys insert a  compressor into a track in real-time?

ps. I tried a new buss too, and having the track output going to it..

I duno, must be something silly..?

R

MusicCreator v.4
Windows XP
Ibanez RG550
BOSS GT-8
Roland JV1010
Uilleann pipes
Whistles...etc

Our latest CD
http://www.gouette.com

9 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime? 2010/08/01 23:08:39 (permalink)
    Okay. Moving the volume or trim controls will only affect the output; it does nothing for the input.
    For that, you'll need to open your Presonus's mixer and lower the input level there.
    Did you want a real-time compressor or were you just trying to use it to lower the input level?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime? 2010/08/02 08:34:51 (permalink)
    greg's absolutely right, the compressor in the FX bin doesn't get recorded, it's after the signal is already in the system.  to reduce your recorded signal you have to reduce it at the source or as it goes into the system -like an external hardware compressor or reducing the recording volume in your soundcard mixer, but personally that's not preferable, IMO, unless there's no other way to reduce your signal.

are you going direct in with the bass?  or are you mic'ing it?

Rich - also, look at my last reply on your last thread!
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2065679

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime? 2010/08/02 09:59:49 (permalink)
    I don't know much about the presonus..... but on my Saffire interface, I have a channel input knob..... I adjust it up or down depending on the level of the input signal to get a clean wave in my track.

Also the interface usually has a software control panel...... I know the Saffire does...and you are able to adjust and set levels in there as well.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re:good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime? 2010/08/02 11:06:16 (permalink)

Just wanted to say that I agree with Beagle's final post in your previous thread. Your music is pretty amazing! Wow! What a voice your wife has! Really nice!

Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    Guitarhacker
    Re:good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime? 2010/08/02 11:23:26 (permalink)
    Just visited your web site.... pretty nice tunes, and they sound professionally recorded.

BMI/NSAI

celticpiping
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime? 2010/08/02 16:48:19 (permalink)
    Hi lads, site was down yesterday for some odd reason, else I woulda poasted sooner.

Anywhoo,
    1) On behalf of my wife, thanks for the  compliments  on the vox.
    It took me years to figure out she has a really nice voice. We only recently started making music together...as it were: believe it or not!

2) My Presonus input trims are maximum DOWN!
    My understanding of this box is that it's sort of a given  that it behaves like this inherently.
    I often run the trims really counter-clockwise.
    So, in this case, I was trying to further knock down the input signal in realtime.
    Sound like I'm outta luck, unless I discover some software interface that the Presonus uses.

I could rotate the volume knob on the bass as my last resort.

:)
    Thanks lads,
    Rich

MusicCreator v.4
    Windows XP
    Ibanez RG550
    BOSS GT-8
    Roland JV1010
    Uilleann pipes
    Whistles...etc

Our latest CD
    http://www.gouette.com
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime? 2010/08/02 17:39:28 (permalink)
    i've never used the presonus myself.  there might be a software mixer that you can turn down.

which presonus is this again?  is it the audiobox usb?  there's no pad on it.  if you have the knob turned down to -10 then that's the best you can do hardware wise.  you could build a small passive DI box if you wanted to pad it down another -10 or -20 and I could help you with that if you wish. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime? 2010/08/02 20:15:57 (permalink)
    if you need to turn the bass down I would..... but that would be my last resort. Try to see if there is a software mixer that controls the levels going in.  

When I spoke of the saffire..... the knobs on it are like volume controls..... all the way down I have zero input..... I generally run them on about 5..... all the way up (10?) I am overloaded.  I also have a software control panel that I set the first time I opened the saffire.... I have levels in and out, as well as reverb and EQ and compression IIRC.  Once this is set, it stays the same....for me..... I guess I could open it and adjust every song if I wanted to.

See if you have this available for you.... the presonus should have a disk that came with it to load the drivers... the control panel is likely on it as well. If it's not on the computer, load it..... but I'd wager it is..... just hiding.

BMI/NSAI

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:good Lord I'm posting again...Compress Bas in realtime? 2010/08/02 20:19:50 (permalink)
    Are you monitoring at your interface?  I would suggest turning down the volume knob on the Bass ( assuming you are recording Electric Bass) which should get your levels down to an acceptable level. I'm guessing though, that this isn't an option otherwise you probably would have tried this already. perhaps you have a high-z / low-z output impedance switch on the Bass? If so try to switch it to Hi-Z out. 

I'm looking at the front of the Presonus Audiobox and noticed that there are two inputs and the unit can differentiate between Mic or instrument inputs.
    The trim for Instruments goes from -10 to +30 db and Mic goes from 0 to +60 db. Assuming you are using a standard 1/4" TS plug which sets the trim for -10 to +30db. ( The document indicates a 35db trim range, though )

You also have a Main Volume knob which the document indicates a -80 db to +4 dB trim range.

These should provide enough trimming for your Bass. Does Clipping light stay on as you are recording?

For
    Further, your input may be set to mic in instead of line or instrument level.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1