good studio monitors for under $400

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bennym
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2007/02/07 23:49:06 (permalink)

good studio monitors for under $400

anyone recommend some good active studio monitors for under $400. the choices seem to be endless, so any opinions on what is the best bang for the buck in your experience would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

42 Replies Related Threads

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/02/07 23:58:26 (permalink)
    Hi Bennym,

In my ever-so-humble opinion, the best ones I've come across within your budget are the KRK RP5's. My ears, room, and floors are different from yours. So, ultimately, no matter what anyone says, the best thing you can do is to audition them for yourself. If you have a reputable store in your area, make sure they allow you to audition a few pairs in your space before you commit. Auditioning speakers in a store is like test-driving a new car in the dealer's garage. Have fun!

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/02/08 01:55:01 (permalink)
    If the KRK RP5s are anything like the RP8s (ie just smaller and less power) I'd give them a vote. If later you want to add more bass the powered matching sub from KRK is $300. Here's a link to a Mix Magazine review:

http://mixguides.com/studiomonitors/Reviews/krk-rokit-monitors-604/

The RP5s were the ones that got that magazines "MIX Certified Hit" recommendation.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/02/08 05:39:03 (permalink)
    I've never been a stereo buff but I contracted pathological audiophilia when going down to the local music equipment store looking to buy reasonably priced monitors for my home setup. I had my eyes set on M-audio Bx8a (about $399 a pair) which had impressed me on a previous occasion.

The first thing the salesperson said was: "It's impossible to mix on cheap monitors", which pretty much set the standard for the session. After listening through their considerable demonstration line, I was down to the Genelec 8030 and Dynaudio Acoustics BM5A, both of which are about $1200-$1400 a pair here in Norway.

So now I'll never be able to afford dedicated studio monitors because it would be impossible for me to go and buy KRK RP5 or M-Audio Bx8a without feeling like a complete amateur who doesn't care about quality mixes.

Now I wish I had just ordered the M-audios without listening. Then I would be a happy home producer today.

If you feel the prices i've listed are to high it probably means you live in a country where prices aren't insane.

Sven
    post edited by SvenArne - 2007/02/08 06:07:26

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/02/08 09:50:04 (permalink)
    another vote for KRK!
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/02/08 10:22:57 (permalink)
    Guitar Center recently was unloading EMU PM5 monitors for $99 apiece (normally $500/pr). I got some for a surround setup, and they are actually really good. I like them better than any other monitors I've heard for less than $500. If you can still get some, get 'em now-- they're an outright steal at $100 each.

Cheers.

IzovAge
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/02/08 10:53:43 (permalink)
    For the price the Emu's are going for, those are a really good deal but the Tascams VL-X5's, IMO, are the best going in that price range.
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/02/28 08:32:44 (permalink)
    I would suggest the KRK V2 Ver.4--just spend a little more. They are my tracking speakers. I wouldn't buy M-Audio speakers personally--or Behringer--or Samson--or Alesis.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    TakeFlight
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/02/28 13:54:12 (permalink)
    A lot of people on a few other forums recommend Wharfedale Diamond 8.2A. They go for $340 a pair. I ordered a pair and should have them soon.

Vertical Height
    website | soundclick
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/02/28 14:04:53 (permalink)
    I've got the KRK5s. I haven't tried many others in that price range, but they sound good for the money.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/03/01 18:55:55 (permalink)
    I recently listened to several monitors in a head to head comparison. Yamaha HS50'm were true to their claim that they have a very flat response and are great for mixing and budget mastering (though they work better with a subwoofer). I have to admit that the EMU's were also very close to the Yamaha's. I'm afraid the KRKs were just not accurate and would give you a false confidence in your mix (sorry, just my opinion).

The Yamahas run $199 most places but you can get them at B&H for $149.

BTW The worst monitors I heard were by ADAM. The best by far were Event SP6.
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/03/01 18:57:53 (permalink)
    Did i say ADAM? I meant Dynaudio. It was a muffled mess with a hyper boomy bass.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/03/01 20:28:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

I recently listened to several monitors in a head to head comparison. Yamaha HS50'm were true to their claim that they have a very flat response and are great for mixing and budget mastering (though they work better with a subwoofer). I have to admit that the EMU's were also very close to the Yamaha's. I'm afraid the KRKs were just not accurate and would give you a false confidence in your mix (sorry, just my opinion).

The Yamahas run $199 most places but you can get them at B&H for $149.

BTW The worst monitors I heard were by ADAM. The best by far were Event SP6.

I have the Yamaha HS50's. They are absolutely flat compared to any others I listened to. I use my old set, Roland MA-8, on an A/B switch to compare my mix because the MA-8 is so overly colored.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    TakeFlight
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/03/02 00:07:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TakeFlight

A lot of people on a few other forums recommend Wharfedale Diamond 8.2A. They go for $340 a pair. I ordered a pair and should have them soon.

Well, I got my Wharfedale's yesterday and what can I say, they do indeed sound good and I've spent hours yesterday and today listening to songs I'm very familiar with to get an idea of the clarity of these monitors. I'm definitely hearing things I never heard before in many songs. Having said that, I don't think these speakers will "wow" anybody (not that they should), but what I do believe is that they will help me tremendously with my mixes (being able to hear more details). For their size and heft, along with my impressions of the audio quality (so far) these monitors definitely live up to the many positive reviews I've read, especially given their very low price.

And I would like to point out that I'm not an acoustic expert, just offering my impressions with only a short period of time so far with these monitors.

Vertical Height
    website | soundclick
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/03/02 03:36:43 (permalink)
    I'll go against the grain and say that Behringer Truths are a good deal at $339.

superdan54
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/03/02 09:56:00 (permalink)
    Guitar Center recently was unloading EMU PM5 monitors for $99 apiece (normally $500/pr). I got some for a surround setup, and they are actually really good. I like them better than any other monitors I've heard for less than $500. If you can still get some, get 'em now-- they're an outright steal at $100 each.

Cheers.

Dell still has them on sale for $105, althought you might be able to find a coupon somewhere and get them cheaper.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A0936605

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/03/05 22:11:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jamz0r

I'll go against the grain and say that Behringer Truths are a good deal at $339.

i used to think that until i started doing sanity checks on my home stereo. now it could be my room(tm) but i think they tend to hide some important frequencies, particularly around 800 and 2.5 -3k. i got some mopads for them and that cleared up the bottom end pretty good but i still have problems with clangy, piercing guitars. i also think they could use some more high-end resolution...

having said all that though if you want 8" woofers for less than $350 for a pair i don't think you'll find anything better than behringer truths. i handle them with kid gloves though...

- jack the ex-cynic
    terry1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 607
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/03/09 20:52:41 (permalink)
    bennym

I just pick up a couple of krk rp5 for 150. each in that price range IMO they top dog. Now dont get me wrong. my all time favorite is still the JBL at 1,000.00 a pair. they were rated no. 1 for 2006. But since ill be doing surround sound. ill put those in krk rp5 in the rears and my fronts will krk v2 6. I guess krk drop their price in half.
    ParanoiA
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 09:20:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

Cheers.

Hmm...I'm very interested in these. Would rather an 8" woofer, but maybe I just think I need that. How's the volume level when just using a pair? I know volume level shouldn't be my main consideration, but I was really hoping I could use these as my regular stereo speakers as well - at least for a year or two until I can afford a nice set of JBL's or something. And since I like it loud...

I'm doing mainly metal and acoustics, so do you think these have the bass response for that?

I guess I'm just a little unsure since you're the only one really promoting them, but you're definitely knowledgable and the reviews on MF are impressive as well - better than anything else I've found under 400 bucks.
    yep
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 10:20:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ParanoiA

ORIGINAL: yep

Cheers.

Hmm...I'm very interested in these. Would rather an 8" woofer, but maybe I just think I need that. How's the volume level when just using a pair? I know volume level shouldn't be my main consideration, but I was really hoping I could use these as my regular stereo speakers as well - at least for a year or two until I can afford a nice set of JBL's or something. And since I like it loud...

I'm doing mainly metal and acoustics, so do you think these have the bass response for that?

I guess I'm just a little unsure since you're the only one really promoting them, but you're definitely knowledgable and the reviews on MF are impressive as well - better than anything else I've found under 400 bucks.

Volume level: plenty loud for monitoring/close listening, but they won't blow the doors off a house party. These are very "flat" speakers and might be a bit underwhelming to use as primary stereo speakers unless your main bag is audiophile acoustic recordings where you want painstaking fidelity. These speakers are emphatically *monitors.* I think most people would rather have a home stereo that's got at least a little "hype" to it.

Bass response: The bass response of these speakers is adequate for broadcast music. If you're doing movie soundtracks or club mixes then I'd add a pair of subwoofers. If you were doing bass-heavy stuff like reggae or hip-hop then I might say you'd want a sub, but for metal I suspect you'll be okay.

FWIW, these also got excellent reviews from Mix magazine and TapeOp (tapeop is as trustworthy as they come), but mediocre reviews from Future Music (a source of which I am skeptical, but YMMV).

Cheers.
    ParanoiA
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 11:14:40 (permalink)
    Well I just called Guitar Center and they don't have any in stock but they're still selling them for 100 a piece and can have them shipped. I don't get it. Musician's Friend is selling them for 249 a piece.

The reviews are really great.

So, how do you preview monitors when test driving them in the store isn't recommended? I've heard several people mention that, and I understand that, so I'm wondering how to get around it. I don't think anyone's going to let you take them home first, would they?

Also, Yep:

One review mentioned the bass maxing out at low volume. That any volume over that level, the bass stays the same, while the upper end increases. I don't know how much this matters though. Are you supposed to mix at lower volume? I just want to do this right, for a change.
    yep
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 11:56:37 (permalink)
    I have not experienced the flattening of the bass that you're talking about, but those are not my main monitors. RE: Mixing volume-- I think quieter is usually better for mixing. This was a long topic of discussion once:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=698902

FWIW, I don't think there's any problem with auditioning monitors in the store. It's not ideal, and it's usually hard to get a good feel for the stereo spread or ideal positioning of the monitors. If you're plunking down a grand a speaker, then I think you should have the right to evaluate them at home and return them if they don't work for you, but for monitors in this price range I think it's a fair enough comparison in the store. If you can't tell the difference in the store, then how big a difference is there, really?

Smaller pro audio shops will often let repeat customers with a Credit Card number on file try stuff at home. Basically it's a generous return policy. Many online vendors also offer a no-questions-asked return policy for just this reason, and I think Guitar Center will usually give it to you if you ask.

Cheers.
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 15:51:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bennym
    anyone recommend some good active studio monitors for under $400. the choices seem to be endless, so any opinions on what is the best bang for the buck in your experience would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Is $400 the absolute top you can spend? If so, the KRK RP5's sound ok. I've owned the following monitors since I opened my studio:

Alesis Monitor 1's MKII (JUNK!!!!)

JBL LSR25P's - Very nice. Super clean top end. The titanium driver can drive you insane on long sessions (8+ hours). Excellent bass response (real) right down to about 50 hz, then nothing. One of them went a little funky, so I sold them cheap to a friend who was willing to get them fixed. He's VERY happy with them.

Dynaudio BM5A's - At first, I loved them (about a night). By the second night, I noticed something severely funky in the upper midrange (3k-5k range) that drove me nuts, plus they were absolutely overloading my room in the below-80hz range. Returned them.

JBL LSR6325p's - What I've been mixing on for the past 18 months. FANTASTIC speakers. About $540 for the pair. I added a Focal 10" sub to cover everything below 80 hz, and engaged the crossovers. My mixes translate incredibly well now that I have them set up properly. My favorite speaker in the below-$2k range.

KRK RP5's - got them for a song, and a friend who does some work for me has them in his studio, so it made sense to have a matched set for "sharing" purposes. Now I have a better idea where he's coming from. In my room, they sound boomy around 100 hz or so. I'm going to pick up another set of Auralex MoPads to put underneath them to see if it helps, but more than likely I'll have to add an EQ to notch them just a bit. We'll see. They sound a bit boomy in his room as well.

I've also mixed on Tannoys, Yamaha NS10's, and a bunch of home stereo speakers. Frankly, the JBL's sound better to my ear than anything I can buy for 4 times their price, but that's me, in my funky room.

Good luck!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    ParanoiA
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 16:36:15 (permalink)
    In case anyone cares...Guitar Center told me they have run out of EMU PM5's. The steal deal is over.

So, I'm thinking JBL's at this point. How could I go wrong really? I like the LSR6325P's. But I'm thinking I want an 8" woofer. I figured going with a slightly bigger woofer, with more power, I really shouldn't need a sub for accurate mixing and still be able to enjoy the bass end more. Am I using faulty logic here?

Also, I've noticed the reviews I've read on monitors so far, have preferred the smaller monitors over the bigger ones. Not by much, but they do seem to prefer them. Anyone know why that might be?
    coldsteal2
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 18:01:48 (permalink)
    Musicians Freind is having a Moving sale and i believe i saw powered monitors on the
    70% off list.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    Intel Extreme Edition 975BX2KR Mobo
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=678085
    http://www.myspace.com/coldsteal2
    jimack
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1814
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 18:20:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: coldsteal2

Musicians Freind is having a Moving sale and i believe i saw powered monitors on the
    70% off list.

Yes, coldsteal, you're right. They're listing Behringer EUROLIVE B212A Active Loudspeaker for $199 each.

That's not 70% off though. More like 30%. :(
    post edited by jimack - 2007/06/07 18:27:53

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 18:21:51 (permalink)
    Yes, but not very many to choose from. they have some Mackie HR824's for $500, some m-audio studiopro 3 for $80 and m-audio studiopro 4 for $130. that's it.

I just decided on some new monitors myself. they'll be arriving tomorrow. I got the truths.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    coldsteal2
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 18:26:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jimack

ORIGINAL: coldsteal2

70% off list.

Yes, coldsteal, you're right. They're listing Behringer EUROLIVE B212A Active Loudspeaker for $199 each.

Wow i just checked those out, i think i might get a pair myself!
    450watts a peice, 12 inch woofs, $200 savings off of thier already
    low wherehouse prices off a pair! my neighbors will love me hahah

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    jimack
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1814
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 18:26:59 (permalink)
    Yeah, I bought some too. Some KRK Rokit 5's for my garage DAW. New from eBay for $199 for the pair. They should be here tomorrow as well.

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc
    coldsteal2
    RE: good studio monitors for under $400 2007/06/07 18:31:22 (permalink)
    Those are nice to, didnt even think about checking eBay, which is weird because i buy alot of
    musical gear from there, and sell. ive been kicking around the idea for some kick ass
    studio monitors for a long time now, been just using my stereo speakers.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1