guitar out of synch

Author
jackboy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/12/27 06:46:50 (permalink)

guitar out of synch

My guitar is plugged into the microphone socket of the computer, and when played, the record meters and the sound through the speakers are delayed by a split second.

I have tried it in the Line In socket but don't get any reaction on the record meters.

Is there anything else I need to do with the software to configure the settings to get instant sound on screen?

Thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: guitar out of synch 2005/12/27 09:43:48 (permalink)
    OPTIONS>AUDIO>GENERAL TAB.

Move the latency slider to the left.

Jeff
    jackboy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: guitar out of synch 2005/12/27 11:28:24 (permalink)
    cheers Jeff
    unfortunately its still the same!
    I'm brand new to this program (xmas present!) and have been tearing my hair out since i installed it.
    I've moved the latency slider to the left and the problem persists,i'm wondering if plugging my bass/electric guitar/electric accoustic straight in to the PC is the right thing to be doing? does it need to be ran through a pre-amp first?
    Although i presume it would still have a delay anyway!! HELP!!!!
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: guitar out of synch 2005/12/27 11:52:34 (permalink)
    The problem you are having is that the computer is taking some time to process the guitar signal once it's received, which is causing the delay. You are probably using a feature called input monitoring to listen to what you are recording - that is what's causing the delay. The good news is that you can turn off the input monitoring; the bad news is you won't be able to monitor what you're playing without additional equipment - a small mixer. Go to OPTIONS>AUDIO>INPUT MONITORING TAB and unhighlight everything. That will take care of the delay - but you won't be able to listen to whatever you're recording through the speakers.

Go get a small mixer like this BEHRINGER MIXER - it costs $50.00. Then, you can monitor through the mixer with the following setup courtesy of Robomusic:

I use a behringer 602, (802 now) by adding this i can monitor the output of the sound card at then same time I monitor the input of the mike or guitar by sending the two signale to the output of the mixer in my headphone jack. I do this by attaching a cable from the line out of the sound card to the tape in on the mixer (if your card does not have a line out use the headphone out instead and begin tho save for a better card), then take a cable from the aux send on the mixer to the line in on the card, depress the to mix button on the mixer that will send the current recording to the headphones and the old tracks will be routed there also, now you can disable the inpit monitoring in MC and cut down on the latency problem.

EDIT:

i'm wondering if plugging my bass/electric guitar/electric accoustic straight in to the PC is the right thing to be doing? does it need to be ran through a pre-amp first?

The Behringer mixer has a preamp in it - you connect the mixer output to the line in on the soundcard.
    post edited by bargainboy1 - 2005/12/27 11:55:23

Jeff
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: guitar out of synch 2005/12/27 14:34:57 (permalink)
    One point to remember is that if you are getting no response from the line in then you need to go to the windows mixer view (the speaker icon in the lower right hand corner of the computers screen) and make sure that line in is enabled (not Muted) under recording and playback.

Also an update on the mixer connection, rather than use the Aux send to the line in use the main out to the line in of the sound car.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2005/12/27 15:16:10

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1