Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Brett
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
2007/06/06 23:39:06 (permalink)

guitar pickups

Hi all,

This might be better suited to a guitar forum if anyone can recommed one.

I know that talking about tone is very difficult. I've played Les Pauls for 25 years, first copies now the real thing - that's all I know. (I also have my "punk" guitar which is a crappy old thing with a single hot EMG on the bridge) Now I'm playing pop rock and I want a cleaner sound that has more of a twang and punch more like a Telecaster, with some chorus. Well at least I think that's what I think I want, I've never played any Fenders, as I think their sound is often too thin and I'd prefer not to buy a new guitar.

I was wondering if a new pickup would help. The Seymour Duncan SHPG-1 Pearly Gates has a lot more high tones than the other Seymours but it's hard to know how that compares. I have nickel covers, can I still use them?

Brett

44 Replies Related Threads

coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/07 15:42:15 (permalink)
    You want a Drop in P-90 or P100. They will have the sound you
    are talking about.
    I have one in my Les Paul Jr and the sound is what you describe.
    Gibson has a model that will drop in the same hole as a
    Humbucking.

P-90 Humbucking replacement

post edited by coldsteal2 - 2007/06/07 15:57:16

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    Intel Extreme Edition 975BX2KR Mobo
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=678085
    http://www.myspace.com/coldsteal2
    Brett
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 04:06:09 (permalink)
    Hey thanks, I like that. I might see if I can pick one up.

Brett

oops: not available in Japan
    post edited by Brett - 2007/06/08 04:13:37
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 06:34:39 (permalink)
    you might wanna think about geting a less hefty guitar than the LP, all that wood is gonna give you a thick tone, there are a million and one guitars out there, it depends how much you want to spend etc, i don't think you wanna be messing with ur original LP, try a few good 'copy' guitars, perhaps look at the semi-bodied ES335 type, or even the less metal modern axes from lbanez, washburn etc - these tend to have light bodies so will give you more treble in ur tone. if you like the look of ur LP, try to get a similar guita with coil tap, again that'll help to remove some of the chunk...maybe prs se or a yamaha?

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 09:02:26 (permalink)
    Yeah, the P-90 isn't a bad choice. It's more of a blues sounding pickup with a lot of scratchy treble bite to it. Dimarzio makes one called the Bluesbucker that looks and fits just like the humbucker you already have but sounds like the P-90. Another one of theirs I'd look at if I were you is the EJ Custom. Those will again look and fit your standard humbucker slot without alteration but will sound like a Gretch pickup.
    fendorst
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 13:58:33 (permalink)
    I'm a guitar player first, sound recordist second. I own and play a Fender Tele as well as a Les Paul Melody Maker with a P-90. The sound of the two guitars is in no way similar. No point in going into the difference in number of windings in the pickips, other electrical specs, or frequency response curves. The fact is that they sound completely different from one another.

More important, there is no simply drop-in pickup replacement to make a Gibson sound like a Fender, even if you were to put Fender pickups on a Gibson. The guitars are constructed differently, the masses of them differ, the woods used differ, the neck and frets differ, the hardware differs, etc. All of those things affect tone. Tone does not come from pickups alone. You want thick, ballsy, growling sustaining sound, you play a Gibson-style guitar which is optimized in construction, materials and electronics to produce that sound. You want twang and glassy chiming sound, you play a Fender-style guitar which is optimized in construction, materials and electronics to produce that sound.

Sorry there's no easy way, some things can't be faked. Just as you can't make a clarinet sound like a saxophone because the construction and materials are different, you can't make a Gibson sound like a Tele. Best choice is to get a cheap Tele, Fender Squier Tele (the low-price foreign version of a Tele) or some other inexpensive guitar that's constructed like a Fender and has single-coil pickups.

Not saying you won't love the P-90 pickups. I love mine. They will give you a different sound than the usual Gibson humbucking sound. All I'm saying is it will sound nothing like a Fender guitar. It will still sound like a Gibson.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 14:18:25 (permalink)
    +1. Tone isn't only in the pickups.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 14:22:17 (permalink)
    I'm inclined to agree with fendrost. I doubt whether a Les Paul could ever replicate the sound of a tele.

That said, you might want to check into Dimarzio Humbuckers From Hell. In spite of the name they are actually rather low-output pickups that were designed to sound like single-coil pups and they make for a very unusual sound when fitted into a Les Paul, almost like a Strat on steroids. The sound has very dynamic transients and rather a thin, snarly tone that still sustains forever.

I think the tricky part is getting a heavy mahogany slab of wood to "twang." A Les Paul simply does not decay the way a tele does. That plus the rosewood fingerboard means that the LP is always going to have a darker, beefier, less articulated response than the light, bright, snappy telecaster. Putting treble-ier, lower-output pickups on a LP is going to give it a somewhat fizzier/thinner/more open tone, but it's still going to be that big wall of sound after the inital attack. this is of course neither bad nor good, just the nature of the instrument. with a tele, the note almost falls off the table and dies out before the string noise and harmonics do. The LP is just the opposite, the soft fingerboard and heavy body keep the meat of the note ringing but soak up the trebly overtones.

Cheers.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 15:30:31 (permalink)
    He didn't say he wanted to replicate a tele guys. He said he wanted a cleaner sound but specifically said that Fenders were too thin for the sound he was after, which is more like a tele with chorusing. I gather by that he means les lower mids like the Paul has and a bit more treble bite like a tele. I think Coldsteal's suggestion of a P-90 falls between the two quite well unless I'm missing something (which has been known to happen).
    mgh
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 17:06:36 (permalink)
    so why not go half-way then with a semi like the gretsch or es 335? seems to be like most of the indie bands i see use one, also people like johnny marr of the smiths, which is the sound he is aiming at? if you need a horse, buy a horse, if you need a cow, buy a cow, don't try milking a horse...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    coldsteal2
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 18:03:51 (permalink)
    Hes was mainly just talking about replacing a pickup on his guitar

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    Joe Bravo
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 19:37:01 (permalink)
    You know, there were a ton of Les Pauls made with P-90s in them stock. And I love customizing guitars and amps. You can get some one of a kind sounds that way. What's Steve Morse got in his tele? Like 5 pickups or something. And he uses them all. Nobody sounds like Morse.
    fendorst
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 21:43:13 (permalink)
    What he said was:

"I want a cleaner sound that has more of a twang and punch more like a Telecaster."

Fact is that a P-90 is NOT clean. It's terrifically growly, very mid-range, throaty as all hell unless you turn it down to clean it up. But it does NOT twang, not in the least, not at any volume. Punchy, yes. In-the-face punchy. A backhand-across-the-mouth punchy. Three-snaps-in-Z-formation punchy. Definitely punchier than Les Paul dual-coil humbuckers. But there's nothing clean, twangy or Telecasterish about a P-90.

Jimmy Page got a "cleaner" sound, a "thinner" sound from his Les Paul by coil tapping/splitting his humbuckers and rolling back the volume on the guitar pot. While that's a pretty involved solution, it's probably the best way to do it. Steve Morse does the same kind of thing. But even Jimmy page switched to a Tele when he wanted twang for something like "Communication Breakdown."
    post edited by fendorst - 2007/06/08 21:48:37
    Joe Bravo
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/08 22:31:44 (permalink)
    A couple of things; he obviously meant that he wanted more clarity and definition. Clean may have not been the best word to use, but we all got what he was saying. If you don't think a P-90 can twang then you've never played one. That's exactly why I got rid of my 1956 ES-175. Those P-90's made it sound too countryish while I wanted to sound like Pat Metheny, and in fact those older 175's with the P-90's used to be a staple of country music back in the 50's and 60's. And of course you're going to roll back the volume knob to clean things up. Same with a Tele for that matter. You'd be hard pressed to find a picker in Nashville who doesn't have his volume rolled back consistently, especially when playing on the rear pickup. It's the only way to get a good sound out of a Tele. You've simply got to take the edge off it or it's shrill as hell.

P-90 sample 1 Notice when he goes to the front pickup toward the end that the sound still has great clarity. That's what P-90's are noted for.

P-90 sample 2 This guy does all kinds of stuff including some very twangy playing. He even does a few bars of "Free Ride", a song Montrose originally used a Strat on, but this Les Paul with the P-90 still does the twang efect quite nicely if you dig into it.
    Brett
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/09 02:51:26 (permalink)
    Hi all,
    thanks this is exactly the sort of things I wanted to hear. I might have sounded more negative about Fenders than I meant. A guy was playing a Tele in the shop last night and it sounded great, but it's not want I want. I'm not really trying to turn my Gibson into a Fender.

I simply can't get a new guitar, I have two LPs, a steel string acoustic, Jazzmaster, and my punk guitar with an EMG on it and my little Tokyo apartment is already full. I'd love to pickup a Tele. mgh is right, I'm a small guy and so I use LP Studios but Japan has lot of great guitars ideal for smaller people and I really should think about getting a lighter guitar. My LPs are an Epiphone and a Gibson, and it's the Epiphone that I'm planning on modding.

I found this online last night. Amazing a ES335 Peavey for 30,000 yen, less than $US250!!!
    http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/shop/ProductDetail.asp?Item=571^JF1EXPTR^^

I found a Gibson P-94T last night so this afternoon I'm going into the guitar area to see if I can find a P-94R, but now I've read up on the Humbucker from Hell I'm leaning towards that. If I accidently buy that Peavey guitar I'm going to track mgh down and punch him! (joking of course, mate)

Brett
    post edited by Brett - 2007/06/09 03:02:31
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/09 10:05:26 (permalink)
    I used to only have Les Pauls from about 1970 to 1990.
    Currently I have a Warmoth mahogany body strat with an Alembic pre and pickups.

If I ever got an other LP I'd get an Alembic system and replace all of the electronics in the LP with the Alembic system.

In my opinion there is nothing that is better than the Alembic for extreemely clean sound.
    One reason is that it's powered and has 2 active tone controls.
    However, when using an amp or any other stuff to boost it up it's still spectacular.

For recording I plug my strat straight into the console. I haven't used an amp with this strat. since I stopped playing live in 1999.
    If I need a little dirt I use an old rockman and eq the snott out of it.

Here's the Warmoth Alembic Strat straight into the console ( Soundcraft 400B ) being played with my fingers ... no pick.
    I used a DBX160x with a tiny bit of compression on the channel insert, a 31 band EQ on the Sub out,
    a little bit of EQ in Sonar, and some reverb and maybe a very tiny bit of delay. http://www.trudyholler.com/cd/mp3_clips/full_songs_128/0008.m3u

post edited by Steve_Karl - 2007/06/09 10:11:18

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Joe Bravo
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/09 10:29:32 (permalink)
    Dat's a pretty sound there Steve. I'm impressed.
    Steve_Karl
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/09 10:34:11 (permalink)
    Thanks Joe.
    I love the sound of this strat ..... too bad it feels ( to the hands ) like a strat. and not a Les Paul. :-)

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Joe Bravo
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/09 10:37:15 (permalink)
    Les Pauls--bread & butter. I'd love to take the Larry Carlton route and have a custom made strat with a Les Paul scale and neck dimensions. The best of both worlds.
    Steve_Karl
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/09 10:42:36 (permalink)
    I believe warmoth has the possibilities for that with the parts they offer but I'm not that adventerous at this point. :-)

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    JB1592
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/09 18:17:03 (permalink)
    String gauge and scale length are also very important considerations when trying to achieve a particular sound, but they're often overlooked. Thicker (ie; tighter) strings will give more punch and twang than thinner (ie; looser) strings which will sound subjuctively "warmer." Same goes for Fender style 25.5 inch scale (again tighter strings) compared to Gibson 24.75 inch scale. As a side note, some manufacturers, notably PRS and Carvin, also offer 25 inch scale guitars which fall in between the two, "standards."

What I would advise if you're looking for a twangy sound out of a Les Paul:

1) Use a dual single coil pickup configuration of some kind. If you're trying to keep it looking fairly authentic then either P-90s or coil tapping are your best bets. I'd advise coil tapping as probably closer to what you're looking for though it is more complicated, as P-90's are fairly gritty sounding. One option however, would be to try out the "cap across the volume control mod" that keeps rolling off the volume from sacrificing high end. That may make P-90s with the volume down a bit an option. You could also try EMG H or HA model pickups. Those two models are single coil pickups in a humbucker housing (and *I think* EMG pickups are readily available in Japan, sorry if they aren't). You'd loose to ability to switch back to humbucker mode at the flip of a switch that coil tapping would give you, but they would probably sound more like real single coils (because they are). Coil tapping typically yeilds a little les ouput than a real single coil, and thus it sounds a little weaker, although this is a good deal less noticeable if you're using fairly high output humbuckers.

2) If you typically use 9-42 gauge strings, try moving up a size or two. 10-46 strings will yield a surprising amount of additional punch and bit of twang. There does get to a point though where thicker strings do begin to actually sound thicker and heavier, so I wouldn't go too far above that. (Think SRV, who used 13-58 gauge strings on his Strat... ouch.)

If you have some at least minor electronics skill, or you know a tech that works for sane rates, and you want a really versatile guitar then you may want to delve into the wonderful world of coil tapping. My Ibanez is set up with a 5-way 4-Pole switch and two humbuckers with the following tones available: 1-Bridge Humbucker; 2-The inner coils of both pickups; 3-Both Humbuckers; 4-The inner coil of the neck pickup by itself; 5-Neck Humbucker. That gives me the same choice of pickup combinations available on a Les Paul, plus a neck single coil and dual single coil sound which are the only two sounds I ever really use from a Strat. Does it sound exactly like a Les Paul or a Strat? No, but it sounds good, and sounding good is a great deal more important than sounding the same. Aside from that, there are so many permutations of Les Pauls and Strats out there that even Les Pauls and Strats often only sound "similiar" to what you would expect a Les Paul or Strat to sound like.
    post edited by JB1592 - 2007/06/09 18:25:29
    coldsteal2
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/10 03:29:34 (permalink)
    Yea coil tapping is great, i have that on a couple of my Seymour Duncans
    really almost can sound like a strat from a paul.

Good pickups and strings(and amp/or sim) can make the worst guitar sound great.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    Brett
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/13 03:57:32 (permalink)

There's no such thing as a stupid question . I've learnt a lot from this thread. Looked up and studied about differents woods, different scales (that's why a Fender feels different!), coil tapping etc.

Gibson/Epiphone factory pickups are only two conductor so you can't tap them. I'd have to buy a new pickup - I might try that on my junk guitar if I can pick up and an old pick up somewhere and see what it's like. I'm handy with a soldering iron but opening up my guitar is scary.

I've searched all of Kanto (greater Tokyo) even contacted Gibson Japan and I think I found the very last Gibson P94R in Japan which is on the way to me by mail. That will drop straight into the guitar. I'll see how that sounds. I'm not looking for any one sound so as long as it sounds good I'll be happy. Now for internal surgery on my favourite guitar (the Epi).

Thanks for all the help

Brett
    coldsteal2
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/13 22:34:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Brett

There's no such thing as a stupid question . I've learnt a lot from this thread. Looked up and studied about differents woods, different scales (that's why a Fender feels different!), coil tapping etc.

Gibson/Epiphone factory pickups are only two conductor so you can't tap them. I'd have to buy a new pickup - I might try that on my junk guitar if I can pick up and an old pick up somewhere and see what it's like. I'm handy with a soldering iron but opening up my guitar is scary.

I've searched all of Kanto (greater Tokyo) even contacted Gibson Japan and I think I found the very last Gibson P94R in Japan which is on the way to me by mail. That will drop straight into the guitar. I'll see how that sounds. I'm not looking for any one sound so as long as it sounds good I'll be happy. Now for internal surgery on my favourite guitar (the Epi).

Thanks for all the help

Brett

Epiphones are excelent guitars, especialy if you by limited editions
    because they are made in thier custom shops.
    You buy Gibson, you are just buying a name and resell value
    but Epiphones play and sound just as good.
    Beatles used them.

But I love Gibsons to if i have the enormous amount of money
    to spend on them. I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom, its great
    but i really LOVE my limited edition EPI LP Jr.
    post edited by coldsteal2 - 2007/06/13 22:40:33

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    Brett
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/16 11:36:37 (permalink)

Well that was not much fun. If you look at this photo you can see the difference in height of the Epiphone and Gibson pickups.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1397/556871640_7efac07743_o.jpg

"An Epiphone 57CH humbucker pickup (left) and a Gibson P94R single coil pickup (right).

Notice the difference in the height of the lug, the Gibson requires much more space than the Epiphone. The Epiphone Les Paul Studio is thinner than the Gibson and so there is barely enough room to mount the P94R in a Epiphone LP Studio. "

If I mount the pickup as normal using the adjustment screws, it is going to touch the strings. The only option I have is to glue it directly to the base of the recess, which I think will give just enough clearance.

So currently I have a stringless single pickup guitar.

Brett
    mgh
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/16 12:39:17 (permalink)
    i can hear the peavey es335 a-calling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hit me later!!!!!!!!!!!

If I accidently buy that Peavey guitar I'm going to track mgh down and punch him! (joking of course, mate)

Joe Bravo
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/16 13:33:51 (permalink)
    "So currently I have a stringless single pickup guitar."

On the other hand, you've now got the snazziest canoe paddle in town.

Hey, I'm guessing that the Epiphone doesn't have an arched top, so the route channel isn't as deep as an arched topped Les Paul. You could route it out a bit more to make the pickup fit, or look for a pickup manufacturer that has one to suit your needs.
    coldsteal2
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/16 23:05:33 (permalink)

Well that was not much fun. If you look at this photo you can see the difference in height of the Epiphone and Gibson pickups.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1397/556871640_7efac07743_o.jpg

"An Epiphone 57CH humbucker pickup (left) and a Gibson P94R single coil pickup (right).

Notice the difference in the height of the lug, the Gibson requires much more space than the Epiphone. The Epiphone Les Paul Studio is thinner than the Gibson and so there is barely enough room to mount the P94R in a Epiphone LP Studio. "

If I mount the pickup as normal using the adjustment screws, it is going to touch the strings. The only option I have is to glue it directly to the base of the recess, which I think will give just enough clearance.

So currently I have a stringless single pickup guitar.

Brett

thats f'd up................ never would have thought of that one?

Hey, I feel bad about this now, I was the one that suggested it,
    post edited by coldsteal2 - 2007/06/16 23:31:11

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    Brett
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/17 00:59:58 (permalink)
    Don't feel bad about it - it's very frustrating but nothing we could have worked out until I actually opended up the guitar and discovered this myself. Everything I read is that the Epiphones and Gibsons are the same design and hardware is interchangable. Obviously there is at least one exception to that rule. Frankly it's a dumb, I don't know why Gibson need over 3cm of lift in the pickups.

I don't think routing the guitar is possible as there isn't a lot of wood there. I might glue it in, that might work. Or modify the pickup, cut the lugs at the half way point, and then stick the two peices together over lapping. It may even be possible to attach the pickup directly to the plastic cover plate that screws into the face of the guitar.

The Epi Dots are nice too.

Brett

post edited by Brett - 2007/06/17 01:06:18
    coldsteal2
    RE: guitar pickups 2007/06/17 01:08:38 (permalink)

Don't feel bad about it - it's very frustrating but nothing we could have worked out until I actually opended up the guitar and discovered this myself. Everything I read is that the Epiphones and Gibsons are the same design and hardware is interchangable. Obviously there is at least one exception to that rule. Frankly it's a dumb, I don't know why Gibson need over 3cm of lift in the pickups.

I don't think routing the guitar is possible as there isn't a lot of wood there. I might glue it in, that might work. Or modify the pickup, cut the lugs at the half way point, and then stick the two peices together over lapping. It may even be possible to attach the pickup directly to the plastic cover plate that screws into the face of the guitar.

The Epi Dots are nice too.

Brett

Whats werid is I have gibson and ephiphone guitars
    and all the pickups have the short plate on them, i cant even
    think of a guitar that would need such a long plate? except mabye
    a semi acoustic?

I was thinking cutting the end off, and bending the plates to the same size
    and use a drill to put a tap into the plate, but thats alot of work. If you have
    the tools it would work, really odd that plate is so long?

post edited by coldsteal2 - 2007/06/17 01:15:16

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: