hardware for converting tapes to CD

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Lemonboy
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 679
RE: hardware for converting tapes to CD 2009/03/24 17:55:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

let me tell you what I have done...and with good results.

I took the tape player (cassette) output and ran it into my interface (Saffire) and recorded it real-time into my platform audio track ...stereo.

I then processed the track with Ozone....and the results are amazing. I was able to restore the crisp highs and put the bass with kick and punch into the song that was not there on the original recording.

I'm thinking you should have everything you already need to record tapes to disk.

I've done similar but using HarBal to get a good sound balance and then doing any additional mastering in Soundforge. The other query you might have is whether to use Dolby when playing the tape. I usually go for one run through with it on and one with off, but usually prefer it off. It does depend on the quality of the original recording/actual tape.

Andy
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: hardware for converting tapes to CD 2009/03/24 17:57:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Roflcopter
teac deck

Both my tape recorder and cassette deck bear that name. Very pleased with both, they are OLD, but reliable, and very steady tape-flow. Really love Teac.

when i worked at a radio station i believe we had at least one of those. then they went digital and tape players were no longer necessary. this was probably 15 years ago.

- jack the ex-cynic
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
RE: hardware for converting tapes to CD 2009/03/25 09:45:04 (permalink)
Well,
I used to do a lot of my recording on an old Fostex X-15. Mag tape looses quite a bit HF over the years, thus I found that my Aural Exciter was a great way to recoop the losses. Today I think there are similar plug-ins like the Sonic Maximizer which will probably help add clarity to the high end. Really worth looking into .

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: hardware for converting tapes to CD 2009/03/25 11:20:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Tap

Well,
I used to do a lot of my recording on an old Fostex X-15. Mag tape looses quite a bit HF over the years, thus I found that my Aural Exciter was a great way to recoop the losses. Today I think there are similar plug-ins like the Sonic Maximizer which will probably help add clarity to the high end. Really worth looking into .

-TAP-

Yeah.. an exciter can be handy. What I have had to do in some cases is use a noise reduction plugin and that would take all the air out of the high end. Then I would use an exciter to put it back. Also, I like to try a digital caputre with and without noise reduction (dolby) on to see what works better. In some cases the dolby will cause all kinds of strange shifts in the tone that I can't fix because it varys. If I caputre without dolby I can reduce the highs in digital and it turns out better most of the time. In fact the extra high end often helps the noise reduction plugin do a better job because it has more singal to work with. In a few cases the dolby sounds really good and I use that take.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1