have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play

Author
armada1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2009/03/16 10:04:36 (permalink)

have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play

Wow.....I have set up everything how it should be. I use the sonar power book. I go step by step and TTS-1 plays every single note in an existing midi track. I try to play the same track with Rapture or in Dimension and I can watch the sound meters play away but I have no sound coming the syths. Only TTS-1 works with sound. I am using Sonar 7 power the book and setting up exactly as it calls for in Chapter 10. Maybe this happen to someone else and it is quick fix. HELP!!!!

Thanks

11 Replies Related Threads

armada1
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/16 10:06:13 (permalink)
    Oh yes I do get the sound of dimesions program thru midi keyboard but as soon as I try to play track no sound.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/16 10:42:15 (permalink)
    you have opened up the interface and selected a patch for both?

if you don't it doesn't load up a patch automatically.

if thats not the case then check you have output audio wise turned on.
    armada1
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/16 11:06:04 (permalink)
    yes I do open an audio track....r-click in fx bin......choose dimension.........input none output sound card......I choose bass program and it sounds great on keyboard.....I adjust all parameters..... I then go to existing bass midi track.....I then choose dimension for playback. I hit play button and there is no longer any bass.... Even from keyboards.....no more bass sound....

But that TTS-1 plays great
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/16 12:41:21 (permalink)
    Don't insert Dimension in the FX bin. Dim has no audio thru.

Instead, insert as a synth, using the Synth Rack, or the Insert / SoftSynths menu.

--kwgm
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/16 15:18:10 (permalink)
    Hi armada1,

It appears to me that the most common cause of this problem is that DPro very poorly handles RPN and NRPN messages.

If this is the case here, you can either manually delete all of these in your MIDI tracks, or you can put a "MIDI Event Filter" onto the MIDI track and set it so that none of these messages get through. Unfortunately, on top of other design faults, this synth also does not tell the user when it disables itself due to this type of message.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

armada1
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/16 15:53:46 (permalink)
    ok I will try both of these suggestions and be write back.
    armada1
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/16 17:12:58 (permalink)
    Don't insert Dimension in the FX bin. Dim has no audio thru.

Instead, insert as a synth, using the Synth Rack, or the Insert / SoftSynths menu.

Seems like that woke up my recording and play back ability......however what I wanted to sequence will not work so I will re-record. Tomorrow I am worn out today and have guitar lessons to teach.

Until tomorrow thanks and peace

armada1
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/17 12:05:16 (permalink)
    Ok when I record fresh(not a existing midi track} all is good. So next question are there different types of midi? And could I convert them to be played by Rapture, or Dimension?

Thanks Dave
    DaveClark
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/17 16:06:01 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,

Good to hear you got everything working. Thanks for reporting on your results.

----------------------------

Although there are different "types" of MIDI, *generally* you don't need to worry because these types are mostly of historical interest. You may see "Type 0" or "Type 1" or even "RIFF MIDI." Type 1 is what you would normally choose if you are offered a choice. This is also every once in a great while called SMF with extension ".smf" for "Standard MIDI File."

If all you are doing is recording MIDI in a Cakewalk DAW (SONAR, HS, etc.), then you should really have nothing to worry about as far as types and the handling of MIDI data goes, and you can stop reading right here!

----------------------------

However, depending on whether or not you go beyond just recording and rendering to WAV or MP3, which many folks end up doing sooner or later, you may want to know a couple more things if you don't already know them:

It's not so much the "types" of MIDI files, but what is contained in them that is not handled properly or in the way you might think it should be that causes problems.

As you may already know, many MIDI editors, although they import/export MIDI, store files in their own proprietary formats. To identify an export, look for the extension ".mid" which is usually a Type 1 MIDI file, The proprietary file types usually have an extension that resembles the product, for example ".cwp" for Cakewalk project. This latter type of file usually has all sorts of extra stuff.

Some products that export MIDI create very straightforward MIDI files, very simple, no extra commands or messages --- other products export all sorts of extra stuff that could be regarded as more properly data for proprietary or special file formats. If you see bizarre behavior, then View/Event List will help you inspect the file to see what is there that isn't necessary. Apparently every programmer has a slightly different idea of what should be included in an export, because it seems to me that every DAW is different.

The biggest problem with using MIDI files in Rapture and DPro has to do with importing MIDI from other places, which you may soon end up doing rather than recording everything. These files may contain messages that are meant for specific equipment (sysex) which don't seem to cause problems or other types of messages not really intended for Rapture and DPro (RPN and NRPN) that these synths do not handle properly. You would need to edit or filter these latter messages out.

------------------------

Once again, if you stay within the Cakewalk family (or stay within any other product line) and don't import anything, you should not really have anything to worry about.

I wish you Good Luck in your MIDI adventures!

Regards,
    Dave Clark

armada1
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/18 02:14:18 (permalink)
    Ok Dave To summarize,

Go to midi track and open midi editor and look (RPN and NRPN) and then edit them out to see if that works? I will try it.

Thanks Dave Clark

Because you are correct I took an Guitar Pro 5 file changed that to quicktime and loaded it into Sonar 7!! Never had A problem until Rapture and Dimension. Because TTS-1 has noproblem with it.

Hey does session 2 have that same problem as Rapture and Dimension?

Thanks
    DaveClark
    RE: have exsisting midi but dimesion will not play 2009/03/18 07:21:04 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,

In SONAR, I use: Views/Event List. When the list pops up, I turn off all the Notes by clicking on the note icon at the upper left-hand corner, making it turn blue in color. This allows me to see all of the events other than notes more easily. I then delete all of the RPN and NRPN events.

OR --- my preferred way after looking at the Event List and seeing stuff I don't like:

I use the MIDI Event Filter which is a MIDI plugin. If you select a MIDI track, then right-click in the MIDI effects bin labelled "FX" you should see MIDI plugins --> Cakewalk FX --> MIDI Event Filter. The MIDI filter should pop up when you click on that last one. To filter out events, you first click on the box to activate the filter for that parameter. Say it's RPN and NRPN in the lower left-hand corner. The default is to allow ALL events, even when the filter is active, so you have make sure to zero out everything, in this case the parameter number and the value for both RPN and NRPN. I just drag the indicators down to zeros here which would then filter out everything except the RPN 0 with value 0 and NRPN 0 with value 0.

If this last part is confusing, then you might just try editing the Event List, assuming you actually do see RPN and NRPN events.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1