having trouble w note values in staff view

Author
Schmeng
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2007/08/19 22:40:23 (permalink)

having trouble w note values in staff view

I am trying to put some notes in staff view. In 4/4 time I am trying to start out with an 8th note then a quarter note then another 8th note and then 2 quarter notes. When I put in the first note it gives me a quarter note. I have selected an 8th note from the drop down list 11 or 12 icons in on the upper part of the staff view and also 18 or 19 icons in where it shows a whole note though a 32 note. the first note I put in gives me a quarter note, sometimes if I put in a note immediately after it will attach it to the previous notes making it two 8ths. I get the impression there is some sort of default involving this but can't figure out what it is. I tried changing the duration to half of what it was but it didn't effect the value of the note. Is there anyone that is familiar with staff view that could help? If I could change it outside in another view and it would effect what I see in staff view that would be fine too.

Thanks,

Pam

2 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: having trouble w note values in staff view 2007/08/19 23:25:34 (permalink)
    Just a thought, check your snap to grid, set it for sixteenths or thirtyseconds...
    Not sure that will help, but others will probably stop by with more help.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Hellequin
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: having trouble w note values in staff view 2007/08/23 00:56:56 (permalink)
    I only use the staff view to program midi (never learned the piano, but I played the trumpet for four years, so I can read sheet music). As far as I can tell from what I've done, the quarter note is just apparently a quarter note, it will play as an eighth or whatever note you set. However, if this bothers you, try clicking the Fill Durations button (8 buttons in, or just push [F]). This should fix your problem.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1