help an old newbie - its good kharma

Author
LARRYLEBIN
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2006/07/22 17:17:20 (permalink)

help an old newbie - its good kharma

so i just got my emu 1616, bundled w/sonar le, i figure i can thump my way through some VERY basic recording to get a feel for the device and s/w. several questions arise: (a) when i plug in per the manual (guitar, directly in the hi-z 'a' input, output sound is very distorted..i can't seem to attenuate the input signal effectively. (b) the playback output seems to be that of the post-effects rather than the intended 'dry' track i layed down. (c) how do i incorporate 'amplitude' and the various plugins/effects that are available into what i am doing.

4 Replies Related Threads

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: help an old newbie - its good kharma 2006/07/23 07:27:36 (permalink)
    a) I'd GUESS that the signal going into Sonar is too hot. Check the levels going out of whatever's between your guitar and Emu (you need a preamp of some sort between those) to ensure that the signal isn't overloading there. If that's not it, check the Emu's input levels to make sure they're not red-lining there. After that, check the volume on the track you're recording in Sonar LE.
    One of those should cover it.

b) Is it RECORDING wet, or are you just HEARING wet? I've never used Sonar LE, but is there an option for 'Input Monitoring'? Input monitoring would allow you to hear the wet version, so if you disable that, you'll hear exactly what's going into the program.

c) I don't know if Sonar LE comes with the VST wrapper. If it does, run it to select any plugins that didn't come with Sonar. After that, those can be popped into the FX Bin of an audio track. The effects that come with Sonar can simply be put into the FX Bin of an audio track.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: help an old newbie - its good kharma 2006/07/23 22:33:15 (permalink)
    Hi Larry,

I use an 1820m, so maybe I can add something that helps you get your sound better.

Open up the Patchmix mixer and see what's going on with your inputs, and the master mix.

Other than the mixer strip where your guitar is plugged in, check what is happening with the "ASIO 31/32 Out" strip. This where Sonar LE's output returns to the sound card. If it is coming in too hot, the audio will clip and you'll get all of that distortion. If this is the case, you can add a trim pot insert to ease the incoming level down.

Give me a holler if this doesn't solve your problem. I can answer your question on recording dry but monitoring wet, but need to check a couple things to make sure I don't mislead you. I'll post that by tomorrow sometime (getting late here).

Cheers,

Russ

post edited by Russell.Whaley - 2006/07/23 22:59:15

LARRYLEBIN
    RE: help an old newbie - its good kharma 2006/07/24 16:56:16 (permalink)
    hey - thanks for the tips...i'll check them out. i kinda know what to do in some of these cases, but don't yet know where to find the tools on the system. i'll let you know how i make out along the way - thanks again for the help.

larry lebin
    LARRYLEBIN
    RE: help an old newbie - its good kharma 2006/07/24 19:30:39 (permalink)
    hi russell - thanks - you da man. i was able to disable the effects, so monitoring dry input ended up ok (thanks s.b.); and you were right regarding ASIO, although it is differently presented so i had to look for the means of implementing it. cant find the "patchmix mixer", but, between my preamp, e-mu and sonar trims, the sounds are clean now (yay) and i was able to begin my journey. THANKS SO MUCH!

larry lebin
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1