help

Author
King_Charles_Gizburg_VIII
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/06/12 20:20:24 (permalink)

help

I just had to format my hard drive and reinstall Home Studio 2, and now I can't get it to work. It seems to record fine, but it won't play back any audio or midi. I had a similar problem when I first bought HS. I asked about it on here and it turned out HS didn't work with my integrated audio hardware, so I bought a SBLive EMU10K1 card for $30 at Wal-Mart and it worked good enough. I ran the audio profiler, and it claims everything is fine. And as far as I know, the new soundcard has been successfully reinstalled. (Audio settings in the control panel says that's the hardware my computer is using, and all other audio programs work fine.)

Someone smarter than me tell me what I'm doing wrong.

7 Replies Related Threads

DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: help 2005/06/12 20:40:37 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with your soundcard as to whether it's capable of playing general midi or not, as far as the audio portion, are you able to hear audio in other Windows applications like Media Player?

If HS is telling you after running the profiler that the soundcard seems to be functioning correctly, then perhaps you need to reconfigure the card for your system in general.

More info is needed...
    RE: help 2005/06/12 21:10:35 (permalink)
    All my other audio programs like Windows Media and such play and record fine, and all my other midi authoring software plays and records fine.

When I used it before, there was always a little delay in the headphones while monitoring a track I was recording to. I don't know if it's related to this problem or not, but that's the only problem I had with it before. I'm pretty sure all the configurations and stuff is the same.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: help 2005/06/12 23:36:12 (permalink)
    The EMU10K1 is not what you really need for CW apps...You may get it to work but it will probably be more problematic that the $30 cost is worth.

Quoted here from a review of the EMU is where part of your problems may originate"

The downside of processing digitally is that the EMU10K1 needs to convert everything to 48kHz before it is able to use the sound data for processing. This is partly because of the fact that there are so many different sampling rates (ranging from 4kHz to 48kHz) that is supported.

The cards needs to work on all the multiple channels of sound coming in at the same time, and performing mixing, adding of effects, and a myraid of other tasks - all at the same time. Standardizing the sampling rate will make the chipset and the programming of the drivers less complex.

Musicians, content developers and others who need a direct 1-to-1 transfer of digital data at 16-bit 44.1kHz (CD quality audio) have voiced their disappointment at the loss of resolution and sound detail when converting to 48kHz for internal processing.

The majority of users out there who just want to play games in 3D and some MP3s need not bother about this issue, unless you need to do some sound editing and transferring between digital media.

The EMU will support MIDI playback (not MIDI record).

I suggest looking into M-Audio's 2496...You can get one for less than $100 and it is considered a "pro-level" soundcard for project/home studio owners. The 2496 has 4 analog inputs & outputs (I/O), S/PDIF (Digital) I/O, and MIDI I/O...The sound quality is excellent latency ("slight delay in the headphones") issues can be easily resolved.

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    RE: help 2005/06/12 23:59:40 (permalink)
    Well, like I said, it didn't work perfectly. I figured it probably wouldn't when I bought it for that cheap, but I'm no professional, and it worked good enough for me. I just don't understand why it won't now. I'm kinda poor, and I'd rather not spend $100 or more if I can avoid it simply by getting the card I have to work again.
    papa2004
    RE: help 2005/06/13 00:16:50 (permalink)
    What mode (OPTIONS->AUDIO->ADVANCED TAB->DRIVER MODE) are you operating in? Try using the dropdown menu and select ASIO or WDM (if they're available). Also, make sure your EMU card is "highlighted" for "Inputs" & "Outputs" in the "Driver Profiles" TAB of the AUDIO window...I'm afraid that's all the help I can offer since I've never tried the EMU device.

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: help 2005/06/13 08:18:37 (permalink)
    I'm kinda poor, and I'd rather not spend $100 or more if I can avoid it simply by getting the card I have to work again.

But I thought you were a King.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    papa2004
    RE: help 2005/06/13 11:59:17 (permalink)
    dave,

You are SOOOOO bad!

*LOL*
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1