hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this..

Author
passnthru2
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2015/12/30 13:07:36 (permalink)

hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this..

I need some information about where to start.. what cakewalk or Sonar is easy to work with for a total beginner.  everything I want to do is essentially repetitious frame hand druming and rattles of different duration put on a CD. 

I am not a musician, I only have one hand.  I want to create some simple tracks for a hand drumming, and other percussion for shamanic journeying CD.  i'll want splice,  and create a few CD's.  I'm on a mission.

thanks for any help and Good Journey.
post edited by passnthru2 - 2015/12/30 13:26:48

8 Replies Related Threads

bandso
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 361
    Re: hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this.. 2015/12/30 14:07:19 (permalink)
    Here is a good place to start. I'd scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch them in reverse as the videos at the end cover the very basics of recording.

http://www.cakewalk.com/CakeTV/Music-Creator

Bandlab Platinum and every other toy I can get my hands on...and yes I'm way in debt over this obsession...
    passnthru2
    Re: hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this.. 2015/12/30 17:02:01 (permalink)
    I looked at reviews of s6, it said if you don't know what you are doing don't waste your money, it's complicated... I am looking for the easiest splice software there is, I am not going to make any music with the software .. I am going to record my own percussion at specific Theta frequencies with different percussion, I am going to splice stuff to specific lengths 15 min 30 min 45 and 60 min.  I use these rhythms for what is called "Sonic Driving".. It facilities Journeying to the Non Ordinary Reality, a symbiotic parallel universe inhabited by compassionate Spirits. this is what defines a Shaman, they travel there to learn, be healed and to acquire healing energy to bring back here to help people in need. there are various other things done there to help others.  this is all explained in Michael Harner's book, Cave and Cosmos. it is the definitive book on Shamanism, cheap used on Amazon. as I said, I'm on a mission. 
    post edited by passnthru2 - 2015/12/30 17:16:29
    passnthru2
    Re: hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this.. 2016/01/01 19:04:05 (permalink)
    I was looking at Cakewalk software a couple years ago, it had a nifty icon that would splice 2 tracks together seamlessly with out a hic-up. that is one of the things I looking for..
    will this have that process it has a good tutorial for it also. I'm not going to be doing anything too fancy.

Sonar x2 Producer Beginner Intermediate Level Music Pro Guide Series.  or the X1

or.. CAKEWALK MUSIC CREATOR 2002/2003
    post edited by passnthru2 - 2016/01/01 19:20:37
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this.. 2016/01/02 09:42:29 (permalink)
    I believe any Cakewalk software will do what you want. I don't remember any icons that will automatically splice audio clips together, but you can paste clips together or drag and drop them anywhere in a track.
    All Cakewalk software have extensive Help files, online videos and tutorials, but to just record percussion clips and splice them together won't take very much time to learn, and since you won't be recording music in real time while other music is playing, you probably won't need an audio interface (high-performance sound card).
    If Music Creator 7 is still on sale for $19.99, I recommend you grab it. It's downloadable.
    Neither X1, X2 or MC 2002/2003 are available anymore unless you find them in a bargain bin at your local electronics store. 
    Welcome to the forum.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this.. 2016/01/02 09:53:52 (permalink)
    When splicing or editing audio, to make it seamless and as close to perfect as possible.... no clicks or pops,  I use the "snap to grid" tool which makes the edit at a zero crossing and perfectly aligned with the cut/insert point.  This works perfectly when there is a note in progress that needs to be edited. Such as where you punch in and out to fix a mistake in a guitar track.

Where there are breaks between the notes.... vocals and drums etc... the edit is easier to do and you don't necessarily need to use STG but using it ensures a perfect splice every time.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    passnthru2
    Re: hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this.. 2016/01/02 23:49:43 (permalink)
    I found some cheap at an old music store, if the 7 is doable i'll get that, I don't have a lot of money to do this.
          I was told that the new software was really complicated. I cant do complicated software. I had a bad accident and 16 hours of surgery total and a hellatious skin graft that took 14 days in hospital on antibiotic iv and they knocked me out with thorazine /morphine iv to keep me still, lots of the same with my other surgeries, I got 2 flesh eating bacteria infections from surgeries. spent 7 days on antibiotic/ morphine iv's each.. surgery on my arm got messed up and I had a hetoma the size of a baseball spent a week on blood thinners iv.. but lost a hand. and so many drugs and anesthesia it sorta wiped my memory, burned my brain..
    I cant do a lot of what I used to anymore.  I can still do my job in aerospace. but software is difficult. I meant drop and drag.. that is easy.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this.. 2016/01/03 09:23:59 (permalink)
    Well, now that we know your medical history...... sounds like you've been thorugh an ordeal.

All that aside, because in relation to the music and software, none of that matters.

Yes, there is a learning curve to Music Creator 7. This is true of any of the good DAW software. You have to take some time to learn what it can do and how to get it done. Second, you will definately want to add a good interface and a condensor mic to the list of things you will need to do the recording the right way.   So there is some up-front investment required..... both in time and money.

Once you get past that point though, you will be able to record just about anything you want.  One hand and a mouse plus a keyboard to enter commands is all you need to be able to operate in a reasonable manner. This software is drop and drag for most of what it does.

This forum has a number of users who are here and willing to offer advice and instruction when you run into that proverbial brick wall and can't figure something out. However, we do recommend that you start by watching the MC instructional videos first. By doing so, you will have most of your questions answered and can see how things are done. Sure beats coming here asking us to do everything for you..... which, BTW,  we can't and won't.

GO to the support pages and read the documentation and watch the getting started videos. Youtube is also a good resource.

All the best....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    passnthru2
    Re: hi.. i'm new i know nothing about this.. 2016/01/10 19:55:29 (permalink)
    thanks.. for all your help. cakewalk Music Creator7 and Video Pro2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1