hissing when I record

Author
rfm1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2006/06/24 15:43:24 (permalink)

hissing when I record

Now that I know how to do a new post, When I use my realistic mixer, in the line in port on my compaq evo with a 1.7 gig processor and soundmax digital audio, usind wdm drivers, and a dynamic hardwire mic with the same result using a vocopro wireless mic, I get a loud hiss. please help

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: hissing when I record 2006/06/24 16:01:36 (permalink)
    this probably should be a new post, but you shouldn't post the same question in two threads.

you have to illiminate the source of the hiss in your signal chain. the first thing I would try would be that wireless mic. is there a reason you're using it? does your church have a wired mic you can use? next, i'd try taking out the mixer and try going directly from your mic to the sound card input.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    rfm1
    RE: hissing when I record 2006/06/24 16:38:54 (permalink)
    Actually I believe it is the mixer, but with the mic in the mic pport, I get an electronic noise. Buzzing. I am actually the Pastor of a small ministry, and we are doing the recording in my home. The wireless mic gives me the best sound, but like I say, as soon as I turn on the mixer you can hear the hiss. If I had a way, I would send you a copy of one of the songs and let you see if you can hear what it may be. Actually you can go to the homepage of our website and hear Rise Again it has the buzzing noise. http://rfmministriesmidland.tripod.com
    rfm1
    RE: hissing when I record 2006/06/24 16:44:58 (permalink)
    Sorry about the same question in two threads I don't know anything about forums
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: hissing when I record 2006/06/24 17:33:14 (permalink)
    no problem about the two questions. everything takes experience

I hear the hiss - it's pretty bad. so if you hear the hiss as soon as you use the mixer, then why are you using the mixer?

realistic = radio shack =

do you have all of your instruments connected to the mixer and that's why you need the mixer?
    the first thing I would do is make sure the only thing connected to the mixer is the microphone. do you have only 1 mic input on the mixer? try other inputs.
    I would also try other mics - even if you get 'better sound' from this one - if it's the cause of your hiss, then it's not 'better sound'!

if you need several inputs, you have several options if your mixer is causing the problem. first option, of course, buy a new mixer (not from radio shack!)
    second option would be to upgrade your sound card to one which will accomodate all of your inputs. of course, MC3 only allows simultaneous recording on 2 tracks, so if you need to record more than 2 inputs at the same time, then you'd need to upgrade your recording software to (Sonar Home studio 4 is what I use).

a new sound card will give you a much better sound than what you're getting now, too.

your hiss is very likely something in your signal chain - and you have to elimiate that component or possibly an incorrect gain stage in your signal chain in order to illiminate the hiss.

I'd be happy to talk to you more about this in a less public venue if you wish. send me an email thru the link on this forum and I'll reply. I am currently in the process of just NOW starting a ministry very similar to yours, but I've started out with recording BEFORE I've put the whole team together. And you're not very far from me (in perspective to most of the guys in this group! - only a 4 hour drive - not that I'm ready to drive that far! )

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1