how can leopard users install demension?

Author
mhz prime
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2008/02/09 12:05:26 (permalink)

how can leopard users install demension?

I have issues trying to install dimension pro on my leopard mac. It always gives me errors.

the 1.3 update is only and update that doesnt fix the install problems.

how do mac users running leopard install it?

6 Replies Related Threads

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: how can leopard users install demension? 2008/02/09 15:21:37 (permalink)
    I haven't seen anybody report actually getting that to work 100%.

Sorry,
    - zevo
    mhz prime
    RE: how can leopard users install demension? 2008/02/09 19:51:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: inmazevo

I haven't seen anybody report actually getting that to work 100%.

Sorry,
    - zevo

So what does the 1,3 patch do? Great we have a working leopard patch, but you have leopard, and you cant even install it.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: how can leopard users install demension? 2008/02/10 15:46:09 (permalink)
    I agree it's a bit strange to release a patch for a select number of users who either:
    - chose the "upgrade" install option to Leopard from a working Tiger installation (NEVER do this)
    - did a clean install of Leopard and used the migration assistant to get everything copied over from a working Tiger installation (I started off with this, but eventually went the "clean" install route without migrating anything, since migration assistant brings over far too much junk)

Of course, if you're in one of those boats, it's great to have a patch.
    Unfortunately, most Leopard users won't be in either of those boats, so... no Dim Pro still, or Rapture.

This is extremely unexpected from Cakewalk, frankly, and it will definitely be a factor in whether or not I buy any future "cross-platform" plugins from them.
    I've thought they had too many apps for a long time now, and this (to me anyway) is simply a symptom of that (as is the slow development path of MANY of their applications that aren't a Sonar Studio/Producer version).

No disrespect intended. It's just business, and that's my honest business opinion... too many apps to keep up with.
    I doubt they'll have so many apps a year from now, once the true relationship between Cakewalk and Roland is ironed out and understood as Cakewalk By Roland. That will be interesting to watch, and (I think) probably better in some ways (fewer apps, I hope).

Take care, and in the mean time, try out some other stuff you might have been neglecting in your studio. That's always good to do,
    - zevo

PS - One possibility for the slowness is: a new version is in the works, and the development path has diverged significantly since Dimension Pro's initial release (now some time ago)... that happens, and to be fair to Cakewalk, I sort of understand a position that Dim Pro was released so long ago that a free update should be viewed as a blessing, and not necessarily required where Leopard is concerned. I'd personally be happy for a Leopard patch that I had to pay $10 for, or whatever, to be brutally honest. I care less about it being free than I do just wanting it to exist.
    post edited by inmazevo - 2008/02/10 16:12:26
    mhz prime
    RE: how can leopard users install demension? 2008/02/10 16:22:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: inmazevo

I agree it's a bit strange to release a patch for a select number of users who either:
    - chose the "upgrade" install option to Leopard from a working Tiger installation (NEVER do this)
    - did a clean install of Leopard and used the migration assistant to get everything copied over from a working Tiger installation (I started off with this, but eventually went the "clean" install route without migrating anything, since migration assistant brings over far too much junk)

Of course, if you're in one of those boats, it's great to have a patch.
    Unfortunately, most Leopard users won't be in either of those boats, so... no Dim Pro still, or Rapture.

This is extremely unexpected from Cakewalk, frankly, and it will definitely be a factor in whether or not I buy any future "cross-platform" plugins from them.
    I've thought they had too many apps for a long time now, and this (to me anyway) is simply a symptom of that (as is the slow development path of MANY of their applications that aren't a Sonar Studio/Producer version).

No disrespect intended. It's just business, and that's my honest business opinion... too many apps to keep up with.
    I doubt they'll have so many apps a year from now, once the true relationship between Cakewalk and Roland is ironed out and understood as Cakewalk By Roland. That will be interesting to watch, and (I think) probably better in some ways (fewer apps, I hope).

Take care, and in the mean time, try out some other stuff you might have been neglecting in your studio. That's always good to do,
    - zevo

PS - One possibility for the slowness is: a new version is in the works, and the development path has diverged significantly since Dimension Pro's initial release (now some time ago)... that happens, and to be fair to Cakewalk, I sort of understand a position that Dim Pro was released so long ago that a free update should be viewed as a blessing, and not necessarily required where Leopard is concerned. I'd personally be happy for a Leopard patch that I had to pay $10 for, or whatever, to be brutally honest. I care less about it being free than I do just wanting it to exist.

cant we just drag and drop the samples into their proper directories? Its sad they would release a ptach for leopard if people with new macs cant install it
    fishtuner
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: how can leopard users install demension? 2008/02/10 22:07:53 (permalink)
    I'll second that. When I bought Dimension the only promise I had was that it would run on the current version of OSX. I don't mind paying a nominal fee to get support on the next version but I do expect to get prompt support on the next version of my selected OS.

If Cakewalk continue to show us that they are incapable of keeping up with releases of OSX via either a free or payed update then they are greatly limiting the use of Dimension, Rapture, and any other future software they produce and I and others who use that software will have to consider that into any purchase decision that we make.

As far as I'm concerned I have had to wait to long for that support at this time (> 1/4 of a year) and am considering abandoning Dimension altogether. The EXS24 library that came with Logic Studio has been doing a fair job of replacing Dimension but I have projects that are unfinished and heavily dependent on Dimension. They are heavily dependent on Dimension because I like Dimension but at this point like it or not it may be time to rip it out and replace it. The competing offerings I'm considering all had Leopard support the day it shipped or shortly thereafter which makes it all the harder to put of with Cakewalk's continued lack of a solution.

Cakewalk please fix this thing.
    deltacon
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: how can leopard users install demension? 2008/02/12 02:22:09 (permalink)
    I'm running Dimension Pro on my MacBook Pro 2,2GHz, Leopard 10.5.1, Logic Studio 8.0.1. Everything works fine, but installation was a tedious procedure:

- Download this: http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/applications/p7zip%204.57.dmg and extract the "7za" executable

- Mount your cakewalk cd. Then apple+click and drag the volume in order to create a copy of it on your hard disk.

- Eject your cd

- In the copy you navigate to /Install Data/Dimension Pro Content/Multisamples/ and replace the "7za" executable with the one you had previously extracted from that dmg.

- Then run the Dimension Installer.app from the folder, now it should not hang or it starts copying the multisamples and fails after some files

If it doesn't fail: run the 1.3 updater and you're done, have much fun :-)

If it fails:
    - install the plugin on a Windows machine (or OSX Tiger)

- locate the multisamples folder of this installation AND on your Leo mac (where it started to copy the multisamples in)

- copy the multisamples from the Windows / Tiger installation to your Leo mac's directory manually

- run the 1.3 updater

You're done

If you don't have the possibility to install it on another machine, I think you have to manually extract the multisamples from the dvd using 7za.
    I can't give you a how-to, because I just had to copy the multisamples from my old Windows installtion...

This is how it worked for me, BUT I still can't install the expansion packs...

http://www.wildcafe.com
    Wanna get promos,news,etc.? Check this http://www.phonicfusion.com

- MB Pro, 15,4", 2,2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, OSX 10.5.2
    - Dell 24" Display
    - Logic Studio 8.0.1
    - Yamaha 01V
    - some hw
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1