how important is virtual memory?

Author
john5959
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
2009/01/13 08:10:35 (permalink)

how important is virtual memory?

Been tweaking my computer a little lately and I came across virtual memory page file size. I've added about 3G of ram since I bought my computer so my settings are 2046mb initial and 4092 max.Its now recommending 5373mbs- so should I change initial to 5373 and the max to double that?
Is this very important for DAWs?

By the way; did anybody have the forethought to save a copy of MusicXP.net's tuning tips cause they're charging for it now.

25 Replies Related Threads

alree
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/13 08:27:18 (permalink)
    MusicXP.net's Tuning Tips............

1. Processor scheduling should be set to background services and not Programs.
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced Tab > Background Services

2. Visual effects should be set to a minimum.
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Visual Effects Tab > Adjust for best performance

3. Switch Off Desktop Background Image
    Right Click Desktop > Properties > Desktop Tab > Background None

4. Disable Screen Saver
    Right Click Desktop > Properties > Screen Saver > None

5. Disable Fast User Switching
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off > Untick Use Fast User Switching

6. Switch Off Power Schemes
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options > Always On > Turn off monitor and turn off hard discs to Never

7. Switch Off Hibernation
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options > Hibernate > Untick Hibernation

8. Disable System Sounds
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds Tab > Sound Scheme to None.

9. Do Not Map Through Soundcard
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Hardware Tab > (highlight your soundcard from the list) > Properties > Audio Devices > (highlight your soundcard from the list) > Properties, and check the "Do not map through this device" checkbox.

10. Disable System Restore
    Start > Settings > Control Panel> System > System Restore Tab. Tick the "Turn off System Restore on all Drives"

11. Disable Automatic Updates
    Switch off Automatic Updates by going to Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates and ticking the box labelled "Turn off automatic updating. I want to update my computer manually.".

12. Startup and Recovery Options
    Right click My Computer and click on Properties > Advanced > Start Up & Recovery Settings and uncheck "Automatically Restart".

13. Disable Error Reporting
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced TAB > Error Reporting > Click the Disable Error Reporting box (Tick the "But Notify Me When Critical Errors Occur" if you prefer)

14. Disable Remote Assistance
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Remote > Untick "Allow Remote Assistance Invitations to be sent from this computer"

15. Fixed Swap File (Virtual Memory)
    Select the Advanced tab of the Systems applet and then select the Performance settings button. Then select the Advanced page. In here it is possible to customise the Virtual Memory. For custom size, this is often recommended to be 1.5 to 2 times the amount of your total RAM for both initial and maximum size. Set this to a fixed minimum and maximum value according to your existing RAM

16. Speed Up Menus
    You can use this tip to speed up the Start Menu in Windows XP. You can customize the speed of the Start Menu by editing a Registry Key. Click Start, and then click Run. Type Regedit in the box, and then click OK. Expand the menu in the left panel and select the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop folder. Scroll down in the right panel and double click on the MenuShowDelay file. In the Value Data box, change to default value for the menu speed from 400 to a lesser number, such as 1. Click OK.

17. Disable Offline Files
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Folder Options > Offline Files > Untick "Enable Offline Files"

18. Disable Remote Desktop
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Remote > Untick "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"

19. Disable Internet Synchronise Time
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Date and Time > Internet Time > Untick "Automatically synchronize with an internet time server"

20. Disable Hide Inactive Icons
    Start > Settings > Taskbar and Start Menu > Taskbar TAB > Uncheck "Hide Inactive Icons"

21. Disable Automatic Desktop Cleanup Wizard
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Desktop > Customise Desktop > Untick "Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days"

22. Disable NTFS Last Access Time Logging (NTFS Only)
    Start > Run > regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CURRENTCONTROLSET > CONTROL > FILESYSTEM Add a new DWORD value - "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate" (without quotes) and set the value to 1. Then reboot to make changes effective

23. Disable Notification Area Balloon Tips
    Click Start , click Run , type regedit , and then press ENTER. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced Right-click the right pane, create a new DWORD value, and then name it EnableBalloonTips . Double-click this new entry, and then give it a hexadecimal value of 0 . Quit Registry Editor. Log off Windows, and then log back on.

24. Disable CDROM Autoplay
    One of the very important (and well documented) tweaks in Windows 98SE, was to disable CDROM autoplay (auto insert notification). Disabling CDROM autoplay no longer offers a significant performance benefit in Windows XP, and therefore you do not need to disable it. Just don't insert a CD during a crucial recording.
    However, if you really want to disable it then here a few different methods.
    Method 1
    Start > Run > Regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
    Set autorun to 0.
    Method 2
    Open My Computer Right Click on each CDROM and choose Properties Click on the Auto Play tab In the drop down box you can choose the Action for each choice shown in the drop down box
    Method 3
    Go to Start->Run->gpedit.msc Computer Config -> Administrative Template -> System Double click Turn off Autoplay Enable it.

25. Disable Disc Indexing
    Text below taken from XP help.
    Indexing Service is a service that extracts the information from a set of documents and organizes it in a way that makes it quick and easy to access that information through the Windows XP Search function, the Indexing Service query form, or a Web browser.
    This information can include text from within a document, (its contents), and the characteristics and parameters of the document, (its properties), such as the author's name. Once the index is created, you can search, or query the index for documents that contain key words, phrases, or properties.

john5959
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/13 09:58:44 (permalink)
    Thanks man, you rock!
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/13 18:50:37 (permalink)
    virtual memory settings, in order of slower to faster performance (99 times out of 100):

letting windows manage it.

fixed upper and lower sizes.

fixed upper and lower sizes that are the same.

no page file.

for the naysayers (there is usually at least one), not only did i run sonar 3 with no page file on my old DAW but also have been running both my work desktop and laptop without one for months, and i use the crap out of them. haven't tried it on my new DAW yet since i'm working with bigger projects now, but if you know how much memory you are going to use (commit charge in task manager), and you leave yourself a cushion (say 25%) then you do not need the page file on.

while i'm on this rant, virtual memory is not the page file. it is actually how windows manages memory. each program gets its own virtual 4GB of memory to play with (in 32-bit). windows handles the actual addressing in the background, and the virtual memory manager decides when to use the page file and when to use physical RAM. even when you have more than enough physical RAM (say, 3x more than needed) to run all processes, windows will still use the page file. i have tested this to be sure, and it's why i've started running with no page file whenever i can.

- jack the ex-cynic
    john5959
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/14 00:00:11 (permalink)
    thanks i'll try it out
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/14 03:49:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

virtual memory settings, in order of slower to faster performance (99 times out of 100):

letting windows manage it.

fixed upper and lower sizes.

fixed upper and lower sizes that are the same.

no page file.

for the naysayers (there is usually at least one), not only did i run sonar 3 with no page file on my old DAW but also have been running both my work desktop and laptop without one for months, and i use the crap out of them. haven't tried it on my new DAW yet since i'm working with bigger projects now, but if you know how much memory you are going to use (commit charge in task manager), and you leave yourself a cushion (say 25%) then you do not need the page file on.

while i'm on this rant, virtual memory is not the page file. it is actually how windows manages memory. each program gets its own virtual 4GB of memory to play with (in 32-bit). windows handles the actual addressing in the background, and the virtual memory manager decides when to use the page file and when to use physical RAM. even when you have more than enough physical RAM (say, 3x more than needed) to run all processes, windows will still use the page file. i have tested this to be sure, and it's why i've started running with no page file whenever i can.

+1 - My page file is switched off on all my drives except the OS and I only turned that back on 'cos some program (non audio related) was complaining. I've also tried all sorts of combinations of setting my own etc, and never seen any performance improvement over letting windows handle it.

In the list of tuning tip's I'd also take issue with number 1, but each to their own......

jacktheexcynic
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/14 19:15:54 (permalink)
    out of curiosity, do you remember which program complained about not having a page file?

- jack the ex-cynic
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/14 22:04:01 (permalink)
    Noel Borthwick of Cakewalk Recommends that Processor scheduling should be set to programs and not background services. Search for posts by Noel , I think it is less than a year old.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/14 22:09:10 (permalink)
    that's how ADK set my laptop DAW.

- jack the ex-cynic
    rodreb
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/15 10:21:41 (permalink)
    I've tried both ways and Processor scheduling set to programs absolutely works better on all 3 of my systems.

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
    https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/15 12:51:38 (permalink)

out of curiosity, do you remember which program complained about not having a page file?

No sorry I don't, something obscure that I don't use very often 'cos I'd had the paging file switched off for ages and then had problems with a "Not enough/low memory message" when that wasn't the case. I guessed it was looking for the paging file and turned it back on, hey presto problem fixed. I suppose I could turn it back off again and find out.
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/15 14:56:48 (permalink)
    for the naysayers (there is usually at least one), not only did i run sonar 3 with no page file on my old DAW but also have been running both my work desktop and laptop without one for months, and i use the crap out of them.

+1 to this, I've run without a page file for a while.

My opinion on this: It doesn't make programs run faster, but what it does do is prevent windows from trying to swap out memory regions to the page file which can result in a certain sluggishness to the system. If you could set windows to only swap to the page file when there absolutely was no free ram left, I would set that. But I don't think it's possible to set up windows that way. For some reason windows likes to swap stuff to the page file, even if there is plenty of ram free.

I have run into one problem when not using a page file. I was running Vienna Instruments and I had maxed out the ram by loading samples. Windows bluescreened on me there. So I re-enabled the page file (to a fixed hi and lo setting of 2 gig) and was able to load up samples to about 1.7 gig of ram usage. This is on a 2 gig ram machine, 32 bit WinXP.

I tend to run a lot of programs simultaneously and I find that the system is snappier without a page file.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/19 13:49:54 (permalink)

I've got my facts mixed up sort of..... I'd disabled the page file again to see what complained, nothing so far and then I had a BSOD this afternoon. When I tried to debug the dump file I suddenly remembered why my paging was on. XP can't write a dump file without the page file on. So I'm none the wiser for the BSOD. but at least I know why I had it on.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/19 17:55:55 (permalink)
    ok, that makes more sense. i know back in the windows 98 days a page file was more important but having had a very detailed class on operating system memory management in XP and knowing a tiny bit of the windows API i couldn't fathom any program actually requiring a page file (other than through convoluted means such as trying to find "pagefile.sys", etc.).

but yeah, no page file, no dump file.

- jack the ex-cynic
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/19 20:56:47 (permalink)
    The last time I checked this was back in Windows 2000, but from that version back to Windows 3.0 the risk in running without a swap device was that if Windows did exhaust physical memory and had no paging device or insufficient space on the paging device, it would roll over and die a very ungraceful death, and files would be corrupted.

Maybe Windows has gotten smarter about that in the intervening years, but I doubt it. Fact is the O/S has very limited options as to how to deal with that scenario, and other operating systems I've worked with do not handle it any better.

I prefer to have a fixed paging device in place and split across two drives. Being fixed in size avoids any overhead from managing the file. Splitting the device is really for the benefit of other apps I run on the same machine and has no benefit AFAIK to a DAW.

While it's true, as Jack points out, that Windows may use the paging space even before physical RAM has been exhausted, it doesn't happen continuously and the overhead when it does happen is quite trivial. I'd rather have the insurance of the paging disk being there just in case.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/01/19 21:26:20 (permalink)
    i'm reasonably sure in windows 2000 and onward that running out of memory with a page file and without will produce the same result. the last offending program will die with an out of memory error and the rest continue on their merry way. i know this for a fact in XP, having done it myself more than once.

also, if you have 4GB of physical RAM in a 32-bit XP/Vista environment there's really no need for the page file. windows won't even use the full 4GB anyway, and your max commit charge will be somewhere between 3 and 3.5GB or so depending on how much video RAM you have on your video card. since most programs get capped at 2GB anyway, there's not much that can go wrong.

the performance isn't going to rock your world for a single-app environment like a DAW. but open two programs and switch between them and it'll open your eyes.

- jack the ex-cynic
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/08 02:51:24 (permalink)
    Me too - Thank You!

Dave
    Songs

MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/13 21:36:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: alree

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced Tab > Background Services

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Visual Effects Tab > Adjust for best performance

4. Disable Screen Saver

Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off > Untick Use Fast User Switching

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options > Always On > Turn off monitor and turn off hard discs to Never

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options > Hibernate > Untick Hibernation

8. Disable System Sounds
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds Tab > Sound Scheme to None.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Hardware Tab > (highlight your soundcard from the list) > Properties > Audio Devices > (highlight your soundcard from the list) > Properties, and check the "Do not map through this device" checkbox.

Start > Settings > Control Panel> System > System Restore Tab. Tick the "Turn off System Restore on all Drives"

Switch off Automatic Updates by going to Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates and ticking the box labelled "Turn off automatic updating. I want to update my computer manually.".

Right click My Computer and click on Properties > Advanced > Start Up & Recovery Settings and uncheck "Automatically Restart".

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced TAB > Error Reporting > Click the Disable Error Reporting box (Tick the "But Notify Me When Critical Errors Occur" if you prefer)

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Remote > Untick "Allow Remote Assistance Invitations to be sent from this computer"

Select the Advanced tab of the Systems applet and then select the Performance settings button. Then select the Advanced page. In here it is possible to customise the Virtual Memory. For custom size, this is often recommended to be 1.5 to 2 times the amount of your total RAM for both initial and maximum size. Set this to a fixed minimum and maximum value according to your existing RAM

16. Speed Up Menus
    You can use this tip to speed up the Start Menu in Windows XP. You can customize the speed of the Start Menu by editing a Registry Key. Click Start, and then click Run. Type Regedit in the box, and then click OK. Expand the menu in the left panel and select the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop folder. Scroll down in the right panel and double click on the MenuShowDelay file. In the Value Data box, change to default value for the menu speed from 400 to a lesser number, such as 1. Click OK.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Folder Options > Offline Files > Untick "Enable Offline Files"

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Remote > Untick "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Date and Time > Internet Time > Untick "Automatically synchronize with an internet time server"

Start > Settings > Taskbar and Start Menu > Taskbar TAB > Uncheck "Hide Inactive Icons"

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Desktop > Customise Desktop > Untick "Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days"

Start > Run > regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CURRENTCONTROLSET > CONTROL > FILESYSTEM Add a new DWORD value - "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate" (without quotes) and set the value to 1. Then reboot to make changes effective

Click Start , click Run , type regedit , and then press ENTER. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced Right-click the right pane, create a new DWORD value, and then name it EnableBalloonTips . Double-click this new entry, and then give it a hexadecimal value of 0 . Quit Registry Editor. Log off Windows, and then log back on.

One of the very important (and well documented) tweaks in Windows 98SE, was to disable CDROM autoplay (auto insert notification). Disabling CDROM autoplay no longer offers a significant performance benefit in Windows XP, and therefore you do not need to disable it. Just don't insert a CD during a crucial recording.
    Method 1
    Start > Run > Regedit
    Set autorun to 0.
    Method 2
    Open My Computer Right Click on each CDROM and choose Properties Click on the Auto Play tab In the drop down box you can choose the Action for each choice shown in the drop down box
    Method 3
    Go to Start->Run->gpedit.msc Computer Config -> Administrative Template -> System Double click Turn off Autoplay Enable it.

Indexing Service is a service that extracts the information from a set of documents and organizes it in a way that makes it quick and easy to access that information through the Windows XP Search function, the Indexing Service query form, or a Web browser.
    This information can include text from within a document, (its contents), and the characteristics and parameters of the document, (its properties), such as the author's name. Once the index is created, you can search, or query the index for documents that contain key words, phrases, or properties.

a simple link would have been sufficient don't you think?
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/14 00:04:55 (permalink)
    yeah it would be silly to post all of that.

- jack the ex-cynic
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/14 02:04:15 (permalink)

Yeah, that's what I thought....

hey, I don't really know how important virtual memory is but I know that I seem to have less of it as I get older
    and I seem to have less of it the older I get. Oh, did I just say that already?
    Ambtion Chicken
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/14 08:40:05 (permalink)
    IIRC, Adobe Photoshop won't start without a page file..
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/14 12:38:05 (permalink)
    i looked up adobe's KB article on it:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401088&sliceId=1

it does not specifically require the page file (that i found anyway) although being adobe, the idea that someone would turn it off probably has not crossed their minds. it was probably a requirement because when photoshop first came out, no one typically had enough physical RAM to load everything into memory. so they assumed you would need one and wouldn't let you run the program without it.

but the point is that it is not a real requirement of the software because of OS architecture or whatever, it's an arbitrary requirement based on assumptions made by adobe however many years ago that they may or may not have corrected since then. the KB article does recommend buying more RAM rather than relying on the page file, so maybe they've removed this page file restriction.

- jack the ex-cynic
    wintaper
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 464
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/18 08:35:45 (permalink)
    If you have 3GB or more of RAM, turn off virtual memory completely. Sonar doesn't use that much and the machine will run faster with vm turned off

an easier way to turn off those unneeded services is to paste the following lines into a text file, save it with a .cmd extension and then double-click the file. All of these services are non-essential for DAW...

net stop netman
    net stop NVsvc
    net stop HidServ
    net stop PolicyAgent
    net stop CryptSvc
    net stop winmgmt
    net stop MSDTC
    net stop "Apple Mobile Device"
    net stop "iPod Service"
    net stop w32time
    net stop spooler
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop wuauclt
    net stop TermService
    net stop PolicyAgent
    net stop ProtectedStorage
    net stop SENS
    net stop LmHosts
    net stop netlogon
    net stop lanmanworkstation
    net stop lanmanserver
    pause

NOTE: this will also stop most MS networking as well (file+print sharing, although tcp/ip will still be running)

-Dan

PS: Some machines may not have all these services, others may have additional services running, but this is the general idea
    post edited by wintaper - 2009/02/20 22:00:43
    v42x
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/20 05:20:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MemphisJo

ORIGINAL: alree

4. Disable Screen Saver

8. Disable System Sounds

16. Speed Up Menus

Method 1
    Start > Run > Regedit
    Set autorun to 0.
    Method 2
    Method 3

a simple link would have been sufficient don't you think?

but the link is not free?

vojx_studios
    "pukka PC, loadsa warez - diamond geezer"

wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/21 13:41:09 (permalink)
    I use basically the same list as wintaper.

I've also created another file with the same commands only replacing "stop" with "start" so I can restart everything without rebooting should I need to.

If you run Acronis or Ghost you can also add those services to the list I believe.

wintaper
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 464
    RE: how important is virtual memory? 2009/02/22 02:01:05 (permalink)
    for some reason they never start back properly - probably because I'm not firing them in the golden order. I usually just reboot the machine to restart everything.

Intel i7 @ 3.60GHz, 12GB DDR3 1600MHz, Win7 / OSX 10.6.6, Sonar 8.53 / Pro Tools 9.0.1, RME RayDAT, UAD2-Quad, Focusrite OctoPre (x4), Euphonix MC Mix, Tascam US2400, Monette Ajna (x2), 15' Macbook Pro

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1