how to play a cakewalk home studio file one a newer version???

Author
piano8myhomework
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2014/03/18 18:27:08 (permalink)

how to play a cakewalk home studio file one a newer version???

I saved my cakewalk home studio midi file onto a USB stick. I then downloaded Sonar X3, and opened it in there. However, it won't play. How do I make the sound work? or do I need to download something different? 

4 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: how to play a cakewalk home studio file one a newer version??? 2014/03/18 18:37:38 (permalink)
    MIDI files still work the way they always have.
    You need to send the MIDI data to a soft synth to get sound.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: how to play a cakewalk home studio file one a newer version??? 2014/03/18 21:09:14 (permalink)
    All versions of Calkewalk going way back can save your song as a project file=CWP.
    This will save everything about the song including which soft synth you used. Example the TTS-1. 
    If all your versions of Cakewalk are on the same computer they share all the same soft syths and plug ins. 
    So the song if saved from Home Studio will sound almost the same when opened on all newer versions. I still have my Home studio files from 2007 and I opened one the other day. Sonar X3 will just warn you that it might not sound exactly the same as some plug ins will have changed a bit. 

You can save straight up MIDI songs ( no audio)  as a MID. file and open it on any DAW.  Or even play it in Win Amp or Media player. Windows music players use the MS Wavetable synth. But all DAW programs need you to run a soft synth to be able to play MIDI tracks.  In Sonar you use the "insert soft synth" and away you go. TTS-1 is the GM player. Most others are not multi players. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: how to play a cakewalk home studio file one a newer version??? 2014/03/18 22:28:33 (permalink)
    In my version of Sonar, you have to get up Options -> MIDI Devices and checkbox what midi output (and input) you are using. Besides marking the output for my midi Output 1, I have the other option I could use which is Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth which then uses the General Midi softwave table (GS sounds) included from Microsoft in the OS. And then each output of each midi track is where you would choose what instrument you want to use which was determined first in Options -> Instruments then marking those first after choosing the Midi Device.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: how to play a cakewalk home studio file one a newer version??? 2014/03/18 22:33:37 (permalink)
    In X3 if no MIDI output device is defined, opening a MIDI file should automatically add TTS-1 and play the file through it. This is new to X3.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1