how to select my speakers

Author
sirenadelmar
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
2014/06/05 22:58:42 (permalink)

how to select my speakers

I have a set of Sony computer speakers that I attach to my  Focusrite via the headphone port.  (I don't like wearing headphones, if I can help it.)  when I make my mixes, the sound comes out the way I want.  after I burn the CD and play it on the laptop, or when I play directly from the music folder, with the laptop speakers, Aaagggh!!  it sounds really bad.

why is the difference is sound so marked?   I'm on a tight budget, what speakers could I get to have the most accurate information of my mixes for the least amount of money? 

thanks,
sirena del mar

Dell Latitude E6410, 32 bit. Windows 7. Music Creator 5.  My sound card is Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
La musica es el alma de los pueblos.  (Music is the soul of each nations.) 

4 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: how to select my speakers 2014/06/06 04:10:10 (permalink)
    Are the computer speakers active or passive (do they have an amplifier=active?) If they're active, I think it's better to connect them to the line outs of Focusrite.
    If you want somewhat decent sound quality you need to spend around 200 dollars at least, IMO, for beginner level active monitor speakers.
    The cheapest way to nice sound quality could be buying a 15 years old hi-fi set (amplifier and speakers).

Good headphones are a better alternative than small PC-speakers. You just need A LOT of trial and error and use of reference tracks and an analyzer to learn to record/mix/master so that the result sounds decent on any music system. That trial and error you'll need with the speaker as well, though.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: how to select my speakers 2014/06/06 13:31:59 (permalink)
    i have a focusrite and do not use the headphone jack. I listen with the speakers (Mackie MR5) connected to the line outs and for headphones the headphone amp is also connected to the line outs.

I suspect that may be why the mix is so "off" when played through speakers.  The head phone jack may not represent the true mix.

If the budget is tight... at least try sending the output of the focusrite to a stereo amp and some speakers.... not the best set up but give it a try.  I have mixed a few tunes through headphones out of the headphone amp..... you just have to understand the weaknesses of the cans.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: how to select my speakers 2014/07/01 15:19:14 (permalink)
    Here's a different approach.  Set your existing system up the same as though you are going to do a mix.  Playback an audio file and set the loudest part of the audio file to a comfortable listening level, not too loud or quiet.  Whatever level you choose, you need to start thinking of it as the level you will be mixing at for the majority of the time you are editing and mixing.

Now that you have determined your mixing level, head over to YouTube and search for "hearing test".  There are several videos that do constant level frequency sweeps from 20 to 20,000 Hertz while displaying the frequency so choose one.  Run the video (you may want to run it several times) and listen through your system with your system set up to do a mix.  You will discover three important pieces of information:  the lowest frequency you can hear, the highest frequency you can hear and several frequencies where the apparent volume level will change.  Now you can adjust your mix incorporating this new information.

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: how to select my speakers 2014/07/01 17:16:11 (permalink)
    sirenadelmar
    play it on the laptop, or when I play directly from the music folder, with the laptop speakers, Aaagggh!!  it sounds really bad.

You may be coming at this from the wrong direction. I've never heard anything sound good on laptop speakers.
    A 3/4" speaker can only do so much, and I wouldn't expect the laptop speakers to give you an accurate representation of your mix.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1