i am new to this and really need some pointers

Author
philliphawthorne
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/06/03 12:42:35 (permalink)

i am new to this and really need some pointers

i am new at useing cakewalk first i am using cakewalk homestudio 2002?? should i upgrade?
i import midi from a program called "sibelius" and that works but i am recording multiple guitar tracks to... but when i record it doubles the midi that i import?? and then sounds like crap plus the audio data is always pinging in the red and i cant see the charectoristics of the actual guitar track plus is there a filter or some thing to get rid of that dredfull white niose/silent hum from my guitar i am using a 1957 les paul an ovation celeb deluxe and a standerd strat so any tip or tricks are muchly appreciated ......oh yeah how do get rid of that dam metronome when i record it records the metronome to??? please helpme

7 Replies Related Threads

SurfingMusicMan
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 439
    RE: i am new to this and really need some pointers 2005/06/03 13:43:23 (permalink)
    As far as the "pingin in the red" goes (I'm assuming you mean your audio is clipping), you need to adjust your input levels. That has nothing to do with the software, and upgrading won't help.

As far as the hum goes, we would need to know how you are recording your guitars.

I'm at work, so I can't remember how to turn off the metronome exactly, but its in one of the menus at the top. I'm sure that would be fairly easy to find in the help menu.

I know you have some questions about MIDI, but I'm not to knowledgable about that.

As far as upgrading, what are you wanting to achieve?
    philliphawthorne
    RE: i am new to this and really need some pointers 2005/06/03 16:29:26 (permalink)
    ok cool i can adjust my in put but should i do it from themixer in cakewalk or the mixer in windows i was recording through my yamaha 12 channel 800 watt mixer but it i quit using it now i go from my zoom fx petal right in to my mic in( i cant get line in to work)see my other post called soud card problems i turned the metronome off but havent had the time to test it i am at work to i dont know if the midi is my problem but.... the midi is mixed with a rythem guitar track and the quality is only 28,000 kb sample rate 8 bit mono wich is crab but i didn't know any better and i have already recorded over 400 songs that way my father and i are doing the recording but time is of essance for has been dianosed with terminal cancer and only has ruffly 6 months left to re record 400+ songs plus the other about 300 and edit/produce them in six months is a lot of work!!!!!!
    SurfingMusicMan
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 439
    RE: i am new to this and really need some pointers 2005/06/03 17:58:47 (permalink)
    You can only stop a track from clipping at the recording stage. Now, when I say this, I'm assuming you don't have the volume turned up on the track itself. If you've turned the track volume up and its clipping because of that then just turn the volume down.

When recording, the input level is determined before the signal gets to your computer, so messing with your software levels won't help prevent clipping at the recording stage. I'm guessing you should be fiddling with the "mic in," as you called it, to fix your input levels.

Hope that helps.

I'm very sorry to hear about your father.
    garyh
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: i am new to this and really need some pointers 2005/06/03 20:52:40 (permalink)
    Hi Phillip
    Err, it IS hard to follow your posts - please try some commas and full stops. Us ancients learnt to read on stuff written that way! :-)
    -
    The mixer in Cakewalk and the Windows mixer are, audio-path wise, the same mixer (and I think they're after the A/D anyway? Can anybody confirm this?). It think if you pull a fader in one but with the other open in a window at the same time, the fader in the 'other' mixer will track with it.
    Buried in the buttons of Windows mixer is an option-box for 20db gain boost. Find it and it checked, try unchecking it.
    All other measures ot prevent overdrive have to be done outboard, in the analogue world.

Cheers, GaryH
    HP-Compaq Presario 2548AI 2.6Gb Celeron, 704 MB RAM, 30 GB HDD, USB 2.0
    Behringer BCA2000
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: i am new to this and really need some pointers 2005/06/03 23:08:30 (permalink)
    As for the hum, move the guitar away from the computer's display or turn it off or get a flat panel.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: i am new to this and really need some pointers 2005/06/04 09:45:11 (permalink)
    oh yeah how do get rid of that dam metronome when i record it records the metronome to

This question is almost always asked by people with the dreaded Soundblaster soundcards. Is that the case here? If so, your problem is probably the "What U Here" option, as usual.

How are you playing the metronome?
    philliphawthorne
    thanks a lot 2005/06/05 15:02:45 (permalink)
    thank you all soooo much with all your help i fixed my problems and got my TURTLE BEACH MONTEGO 2 sound card to work so any one who needs any aureal vortex sound card drivers email me at philliphawthorne@qualitymail.com and i will email them back file size is about 6 megs but if you have a vortex card trust me its worth the driver hassle thanx soo much when i am done i will post a link so you guys can hear what i am recording thanx
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1