ii-V-I progression

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
fep
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1186
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/15 20:44:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kennywtelejazz

hey Fep ,
I like those chord diagrams.....I sure could of used something like that when explaining the D 7 chord with the chromatic movement on the b string...

Kenny

Hey Kenny,

I use this software: http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

It cost $60 and it is cool that you can notate all sorts of guitar nuances however I can't recomend it. It notates certain things incorrectly. For instance if you bend a note on the 7 fret 1st string up a ½ step the software will show it correctly in the tab lines but on the staff it will show it as a B note, the note the bend originated on, but it should show a bend symbol in front of a C note - the note that is sounding. In addition, you can’t separate one stave into two lines of music like you'd want if you were notating something like 'Boree in Em'. Here's an example of something I'm writing, I'd like the bass pedal notes to be sustained over the chords, but that can't be notated that way with this software

My Guitar Pro Example

However, subsequent to purchasing that software I found this freeware that looks like it does the same thing. If you try it let me know what you think and let me know if it handles notating bended notes properly.

http://www.download.com/Power-Tab-Editor/3000-2133_4-10502035.html

And Kenny, nice job on sharing your knowledge on this thread.
post edited by fep - 2007/10/15 21:04:47
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/16 22:18:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spaceduck

(Perfect pitch is) the same as colors. There's no such thing as "perfect red" or "perfect orange" (unless maybe Crayola says so!), but most people can recognize red, orange, and a blurry zone in between. Anyone who says "That's not red! It's 25 angstroms into the orange zone" is full of it, just like anyone who will say "That's not Bb! It's 25 cents sharp!"

Funny, I just heard a program about perfect pitch on NPR the other day and that is exactly the analogy that the two experts used (although they used it to indicate a great a deal of precision). Like, people with relative pitch can discern that one note is "more red" than another, whereas people with perfect pitch can immediately distinguish say maroon from rust or magenta or purple or whatever-- it's not like they hear a precise frequency, but rather that they hear frequencies as specific points on a clearly and absolutely defined spectrum, the same way that most of us see colors.

Cheers.
fep
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1186
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/16 23:37:12 (permalink)
I've heard that same analogy in a perfect pitch course I tried. It is like the difference between watching a black and white TV and watching a color TV. In black in white you can't tell if the coat on the actor is green or red, just how dark or light it is. In color you can tell easily that the coat is red and you never get it wrong. Someone with perfect pitch can identify pitches with the same kind of confidence.

The first two pitches in the course were F# and Eb as they have the most distinct tone qualities. F# is vibrant or even buzzy sounding whereas Eb is more rounded or mellow. If F# is like a whirrrr, then Eb is like a whaaa. Apparantly there are piano tuners that complain that they can't get the buzz out of F#'s, thing is that is just the way an F# sounds. These descriptions aren't perfect but it is about as well as you can do with words. And it doesn't matter which octave they're in, they still maintain those qualities (although it is harder to hear in high or low octaves). I found it easiest to hear on a piano or a piano sample. Try it and see if you can hear it.

I tried but I couldn't develop perfect pitch but I do believe I could hear the difference between some of the tones as described in the course. It was all very faint in my ear, I'm guessing someone with perfect pitch hears it very distinctly.
aaronk
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1275
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/19 13:48:03 (permalink)
whereas people with perfect pitch can immediately distinguish say maroon from rust or magenta or purple or whatever-- it's not like they hear a precise frequency, but rather that they hear frequencies as specific points on a clearly and absolutely defined spectrum, the same way that most of us see colors.

That's correct. This is not always a blessing. To continue the analogy, imagine that you really like a particular painting by Matisse that you saw at a museum. Every print, though, gets the colors just enough "off" that the overall effect is "something wrong" rather than "that looks great." For someone with perfect pitch, it's not unusual to have the same vague unease listening to recordings or performances.
Houndawg
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 759
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/20 06:08:43 (permalink)
Awesome stuff, Kenny. I'm a first-time browser in the Techniques forum, and when I saw this topic I had a major flash-back to my days at Grove School of Music (circa 1987... wow, it really has been 20 years). Grove was the best music school I could find back then, and it was located in Studio City, CA, by the founder Dick Grove.

I was a 19-year old rocker from a small town in Texas... and had no idea what I was in for -- a highly jazz oriented school. But the experience was truly amazing, education top notch, and I learned as much from my classmates as I did the instructors. Grove had an excellent Synthesizer program at the time (among others), taught by Lorenz Rychner (current editor of Recording Magazine).

I'm sorry, just recounting some good times... what does all this have to do with the topic? I'll never forget the raging debate that went on (almost daily at Grove) about whether all music (at least "good" music) had its roots in ii-V-I or I-IV-V. There were excellent arguments on both sides, and using chord substitution one could generally prove either theory. Mr. Grove himself (a Grammy nominated composer, and brilliant musician/teacher) was firmly convinced that ii-V-I was the key -- so much so that's what his license plate read!

hounDAWg
post edited by Houndawg - 2007/10/20 06:23:12
Erik_Thomas
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 03:04:21 (permalink)
whereas people with perfect pitch can immediately distinguish say maroon from rust or magenta or purple or whatever

Speaking of "maroon", very coincidentally...I just heard Maroon 5's Sunday Morning on a bad Jack Nicholson / Diane Keaton movie, which
prompted me to come here and mention that the entire tune is built on ii-V-I... nauseatingly so, imo. ;)
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 03:47:25 (permalink)
The first two pitches in the course were F# and Eb as they have the most distinct tone qualities. F# is vibrant or even buzzy sounding whereas Eb is more rounded or mellow. If F# is like a whirrrr, then Eb is like a whaaa. Apparantly there are piano tuners that complain that they can't get the buzz out of F#'s, thing is that is just the way an F# sounds.

Apologies for jumping into the middle of this thread having read only a little of it, but I just have to throw in my $.02 on this subtopic.

It's one thing to say that a particular instrument, or even family of instruments has different timbral qualities at different points in its range, no doubt about it. But it's a whole other thing to suggest that the pitches themselves have differing tonal qualities. Would this be true for pure sine waves of different pitches? I don't think so. At least not in a way that would be consistent from one person to the next, given the vast variability in ear structures and sizes of different individuals.

I absolutely believe that some individuals have perfect pitch that allows them to identify a pitch with a high level of accuracy, possibly even to within small fractions of a semitone, without any immediately available frame of reference other than their own mind. But this business of pitches having different qualities like "buzz" or "whirr" has always sounded like pure mysticism to me.

If the courses that teach this are based on notes played on a piano or a guitar, or any other common acoustic instrument. I'd attribute any differences in tone to the architecture of the instrument, or the technique of the player.

Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 03:59:25 (permalink)
Would this be true for pure sine waves of different pitches? I don't think so. At least not in a way that would be consistent from one person to the next, given the vast variability in ear structures and sizes of different individuals.

Don't think that's correct - all light frequencies are just vibrations too, but make up distinct colours to our eyes. And most people would agree red is a warmish colour, and blue not. Yet both are 'vibrations' - so the difference is in our perception, and we do share a lot in our perceptions, even with the individual differences taken into account.

So the notion that individual notes can have an 'identity', even with people agreeing on some (althought not everyone on each note, surely) is a valid one, IMO.

[edit] for typo
post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/10/21 04:10:38

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
brundlefly
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 04:18:38 (permalink)
all light frequencies are just vibrations too, but make up distinct colours to our eyes. And most people would agree red is a warmish colour, and blue not.

Yes, but the idea of colors being warm or cool has a basis in physics: orange and red are toward the infrared, physically "warm", end of the electromagnetic energy spectrum, while the"cool" colors are farther away. But I know of no corresponding physics of sound that would justify describing pitches as having a specific tonal quality inherent in the pitch alone. Especially when you take into consideration the idea that all pitches an octave apart have to share some quality that distinguishes them from other octaves. There's nothing akin to this in the color spectum.
Roflcopter
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 07:19:40 (permalink)
I beg to differ.

We associate red with warmth through our other senses - same goes for sounds - how do they feel to the others is what matters. How would it FEEL to produce such a shriek? Probably as painful to my throat as it does to my ears. 'Thin' or 'thick' sounds or 'heavy' come from vibrations that reach our bones too, or not.

Why do nails over a schoolboard give you the shivers? Why does a wailing siren alarm you (because of the 'wailing' probably). If a sound resembles a screaming baby, we freak.

So it's not an objective thing, but neither are the colours. Colours are in our mind too, there's no such thing outside of it.

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 08:37:49 (permalink)
Hi all,

I thought it might be interesting to give a sonic example of some of the techs I have been talking about regarding the ii V I , and the use of 7th chord subsitutions in the place of a minor chord...

first I would like to thank the people who have recently posted
Houndawg ...nice stories ....
Fep...for the software recomedations and filling in some of the areas regarding the ii V I from his point of view..
also brundlefly .... who currently happens to be involved with me on a song collab.....
it turns out the clip happens to be from the song we are working on together and Dave was kind enough to say sure post the song clip here if you think it might be of some help .....
a big thanks out to you Dave
We are still tracking the song ...so I'm posting the clip as recorded ...pre efx and verbs..

Two Dude Defense .....link and song updated
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=427899&songID=5931730

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/11/02 07:48:44

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Roflcopter
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 14:59:16 (permalink)
Sounds great, Kenny.

Just wondered what *that* would sound like from tape, and indeed it sounded absolutely great, real dark atmo and all - even though I'm still figuring out recording levels (can go *real* hot without problems) and tape eq and type etc, but I can PM you a link to the mp3 - it's pretty OK, actually - considering it was taped straight from the soundclick player (never thought I'd type those words together, ever).

brundlefly
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 15:49:55 (permalink)
Why do nails over a schoolboard give you the shivers? Why does a wailing siren alarm you (because of the 'wailing' probably). If a sound resembles a screaming baby, we freak.

But these things mostly get their effect from the timbre of the sound, not the pitch. A baby screaming at A#6 makes a completely different impression on us than a saxaphone playing the same note. But a baby screaming a semitone higher at B6 makes pretty much the same impression. The "feel" is all in the timbre, not in the pitch itself. Certainly higher pitches have a different "feel" to us than lower ones in general, but I don't think two adjacent notes in a given octave have a significantly different in "feel", unless the instrument/voice produces a different timbre (i.e. different overtone content) along with the change in pitch. That's all I'm trying to say.

But I really don't want to hijack this thread from it's original purpose, so I'll let it go at that. Thanks for the thought-provoking comments, in any case.

P.S.O.T. I always enjoy seeing Dutch posters on forums. My father was born there, and I spent a year there when I was a teenager.

De groeten,
Dave

Roflcopter
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 16:44:49 (permalink)
En de groeten terug

Yeah, let's not digress too much, and although I can understand you driving my point ad absurdum, I still think you have to remember that's how our senses developed, and the notes are just an exponent, you cannot reverse that. Plus, there's our drive to attach emotions to ANY symbol. A swastika is just a weird X, right?

jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 16:48:55 (permalink)
i think part of the reason that different pitches have different qualities is because we don't use a perfect-pitch system, we use approximations instead. i personally think that songs in sharp keys sound "brighter" than songs in flat keys and c/a minor is kind of neutral. you can attribute this to the instruments if you want but that's been my experience.

different keys have different qualities because our western pitch system isn't perfect. so when you hear a particular note by itself you may already have a mental context of where that note is in relation to a particular key it is often used in.

- jack the ex-cynic
ru
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 17:21:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

En de groeten terug

Yeah, let's not digress too much, and although I can understand you driving my point ad absurdum, I still think you have to remember that's how our senses developed, and the notes are just an exponent, you cannot reverse that. Plus, there's our drive to attach emotions to ANY symbol. A swastika is just a weird X, right?

actually, the swastika is an ancient, complex and near universal symbol. not that it matters to this conversation.
altima_boy_2001
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2033
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/21 17:35:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: brundlefly
But these things mostly get their effect from the timbre of the sound, not the pitch. A baby screaming at A#6 makes a completely different impression on us than a saxaphone playing the same note. But a baby screaming a semitone higher at B6 makes pretty much the same impression. The "feel" is all in the timbre, not in the pitch itself. Certainly higher pitches have a different "feel" to us than lower ones in general, but I don't think two adjacent notes in a given octave have a significantly different in "feel", unless the instrument/voice produces a different timbre (i.e. different overtone content) along with the change in pitch.

Everybody's ear drums have a different natural (resonant) frequency which can cause noticeable changes in perceived volume. If someone says that some notes have a different "feel" then maybe it's because they're sensing significant changes in volume when certain frequencies are present. Therefore, the person could identify some individual frequencies. Resonant frequencies corresponding to scale notes combined with excellent relative pitch and pitch memory would probably come pretty close to being "perfect" pitch based in frequency.
brundlefly
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/22 00:08:19 (permalink)
different keys have different qualities because our western pitch system isn't perfect.

Depends on the instrument. Scales on a standard piano that is tuned with equal temper would theoretically not differ from each other (i.e. they are all equally "bad"). The frequency ratio for every semitone interval being the twelfth root of 2 or approx. 1.06:1.
kennywtelejazz
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/22 03:16:53 (permalink)

Sounds great, Kenny.

Just wondered what *that* would sound like from tape, and indeed it sounded absolutely great, real dark atmo and all - even though I'm still figuring out recording levels (can go *real* hot without problems) and tape eq and type etc, but I can PM you a link to the mp3 - it's pretty OK, actually - considering it was taped straight from the soundclick player (never thought I'd type those words together, ever).

Hi Roflcopter
hey thanks
my PM thingamajing isnt on ...
I wouldnt mind hearing it though ...soundclick ...e mails get to me....
btw ...that clip is bone dry ...non carved....non Eqed
the frets still havent dried from lefty my fretting hands madd dash from the giddey up drum beat..
I'm starting to wonder if lefty was having a flashback and thought he was Lance Armstrong or something
figured since I'm still tracking ....why not post it ..its on topic

the ll V madd dash for the yellow jersey ......clip..
....link and song updated....
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/11/02 07:50:15

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

Roflcopter
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/22 04:52:53 (permalink)
Hi Kenny,

been playing around a bit more, and the mp3-tape-mp3 route is by pretty nerfed by all the compression - compared with some recordings I made from wavs and CD. If you have a .wav version I think the results would be nicer, since it's the 'brighter' and more pronounced parts that get a twist, and those are ruined by the mp3 compression already in place, I guess.

The other way around is not true, BTW - from tape to mp3 is a VERY easy transition, it's like a good 'premastering' for it, it seems. Might keep that in as a step. It'a a bit like checking it on your car audio first, I guess, sortof. What won't 'work' on tape, might not work well on mp3 either.

[Back OT]

I've really been reading my butt off on the whole chords system, both on keyboard and axe, this thread has got me totally started again.

Maybe people would be interested in dissecting a few good tunes on how they were done. BTW some of those chords Fep came up with I found were used in Sinatra songs, like Strangers in the Night- but that's just an example.

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/s/sinatra-frank/17330.html

Just have a pro explain what's good about it, and maybe where it breaks the rules a bit or sidesteps them, whatever. Think that would be a great learning experience for quite a few people. I'd enjoy it, for sure.

ru
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/22 11:47:52 (permalink)
that site makes it appear that frank wrote the song, which isn't the case. i've heard he actually hated it.
Roflcopter
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/25 06:59:46 (permalink)
i've heard he actually hated it.

Well, he sang it with passion, whatever the passion.

It's just that I prefer 'known' melodies for study, I don't particularly like it either, but can suspend that feeling quite easily.

kennywtelejazz
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/10/25 09:09:17 (permalink)
hey Roflcopter
didnt mean to leave you hanging...i idid look at the tune ,
it's realy no biggie ...when I finish up the song I'm working on ...I will see
Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

DX1451
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/11/01 15:00:30 (permalink)
Try a blues scale over this. Not only that, but swing it as well. Or, better yet, when you are in a group setting everyone start trading 4's or 8's. At some point things will begin to have meaning. Play-a-long CD's are fine but not like trading with live musicians.

F-A-C-E is a Fmaj7 chord
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/11/01 15:18:21 (permalink)

I always thought he sounded bored singing that one............and who can blame him?

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Roflcopter
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/11/01 16:00:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

I always thought he sounded bored singing that one............and who can blame him?

Really, I thought especially the do-be-do-be-do and the descending 'jaaaaaaaaaaaaaah' in the finale were heart-rending.

ru
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/11/01 18:19:47 (permalink)
i don't know if bored or heart-rending apply. :) it's a different aesthetic.
but i agree with roflcopter about known melodies. they lend themselves very well to mutation. sort of like a cliche...every change to the setting/context casts a different perception.
kennywtelejazz
RE: ii-V-I progression 2007/11/02 07:38:50 (permalink)
heads up.......in case anybody trys the link to the clip I had put up a few posts ago demonstrating some of the things I like to play over the ii V ....
the old clip got pulled....
the song Two Dude Defense has been posted over at the songs forum
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1203827

here's the updated link ...to hear the tune without jumping threads

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1