instruction manual for music creator

Author
danoid
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2007/10/23 08:57:47 (permalink)

instruction manual for music creator

hello and greets to all in the group

regarding music creator....the video tutorial is good but to help me navigate it better, i would like to have some kind of a hands on-printed instruction manual.....does such a thing exist? is there a .pdf file on one of the cds?

i tried searching the forum but nothing came up

thanks to all in advance!!

22 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/10/23 12:26:56 (permalink)
    All versions of Cakewalk software has a help file built in with a ton of info in it, plus there are many good book on cakewalk, especially the Power books by Scott Garrigus, these are great resources. And the best part is that Scott is magic he appears out of thin air!!

Wait for it ....wait for it ......

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/10/23 12:54:43 (permalink)
    And viola! Here I am...

Yes, my Sonar Power books can provide some help although there will be differences because the books are written for Sonar. However, Music Creator is a very scaled-down version of Sonar so the features work the same, but there fewer of them. More info can be found in the Power Books section of my site:
    http://www.garrigus.com/

And be sure to check out my free music technology newsletter:
    http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
    ** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Absynth 3 or Kontakt 2 DVD Tutorial and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
    danoid
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/10/23 16:37:40 (permalink)
    i want to thank both of you for all the help and assistance......

sounds like i will be making a trip to the book store to check out some reading material LOL

that or get some paper and ink cartridges to print out HELP files....LOL

thank you again very much
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/10/24 17:57:17 (permalink)
    Some how i picture Scott looking like that rabbit, bullwinkle pulled out of his hat. "Hey Rock ......."

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/10/24 18:21:17 (permalink)
    Nah, I look more like that Merlin character from the old Bugs Bunny cartoon who wore that propeller beanie cap on his head.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
    ** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Absynth 3 or Kontakt 2 DVD Tutorial and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
    SrMaria
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/13 12:29:57 (permalink)
    I am looking for the same thing. Where did you get the video? I didn't. And the books?
    Since I use only audio many things don't apply (like the original tutorial demo). Wrote Robomusic but received no reply. SrMaria
    SrMaria
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/13 13:04:14 (permalink)
    Years ago, now, Robomusic helped me get started with MC3 which I have used ever since and very simply: Mic on grand piano. Period. I use only audio, obviously, so even the basic tutorial demo would not work. I still don't know what I can do with just audio since things like staff view etc. don't seem to work. No video came with the disc. Well, someone told me Adobe Audition was better for audio. It was expensive for me, but I bought it, then discovered that altho one could buy a very helpful book WITH CD (Classroom in a Book, - I didn't) , my old Cakewalk was much cleaner to use. Back to square one. Now do any of your books come with a cd? Which one would I want? I'd really to like to know just what I can do with just audio. I have gone thru the tutorials. Should you have time to answer, could you send it to windrow@localnet.com, as I find trying to negotiate around the forums difficult. Thank you. Sister Maria
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/13 22:51:09 (permalink)
    Sister Maria, if you type the magic word "Garrigus", he might come back and read your questions. Or you can probably click on his link, and it might tell you there if videos are available. I've never seen the videos, except for some you can access at cakewalk.com
    Mr. Garrigus isn't a regular forum surfer here, but he sometimes pops in with suggestions.
    I think there might be videos with some of the newer programs, on the disks.
    The staff will only work with MIDI input, so if you really want MC to print out a score for you, you can invest in a small MIDI controller or keyboard and play your songs in that way, or click in each note with the mouse.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    danoid
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/15 18:03:59 (permalink)
    sister maria

sorry for taking so long to reply......as has been mentioned before, cakewalk is a 2cd set and the video tutorial is on one of the cds.....(disc 2 perhaps)

that is part of what started this whole thread....i was looking for an instruction manual......i hope that such a thing might be included, say as a .pdf file in future editions....

i went to a boarders books looking for Scott Garrigus books and the humanoid who waited on me told me that i would have to have them special ordered....

i still like the idea of going thru and printing out the "help" section from the programme, if it will let me....

as far as editing audio, i cut my teeth on cool edit and cool edit pro....which has now become adobe audition......

i hope that this helps a bit....good luck to you

SrMaria
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/16 10:16:09 (permalink)
    You are very kind to reply. Does anyone know where I can get the CD set and the video tutorial? Have had MC3 for years. Still have the box. Just the one cd to install. Yes, you can print out the tutorials. I went to Amazon and ordered Garrigus' Sonar Power which was recommended under Garrigus on line. Very inexpensive for used. But no video or cd, apparently. As mentioned, I bought Adobe Audition, found it clumsy. Suppose I could get Classroom in a Book and try to advance that way, but would rather have the material from Cakewalk. Thank you so much. Sister
    SrMaria
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/16 10:38:41 (permalink)
    Thank you! Went to the Garrigus site and ordered Sonar Power on Amazon, which he seemed to recommend over Cakewalk Power (?). Where, exactly, on Cakewalk .com does one find the videos? I have a Yamaha Portatone PSR 275/273 keyboard, which has a MIDI in/out on the back??? My computer is a Presario laptop. Do I somehow plug the keyboard into it and see what happens? With what? The Yamaha manual says "When connecting to a computer with a USB interface, use the Yamaha UX 16 USB/MIDi Interface. Connect the UX16 and the computer with a standard USB cable, hen make the proper MIDI connections between the PSR-275/273 and the UX16." Right. And I was hoping to progress a little in learning just what I can and cannot do with audio? Have been recording piano for years now with MC3. Very simple. Maybe I should just leave it at that? This is not without its humor.
    Anyway. Thank you so much for replying. Sister
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/16 10:39:48 (permalink)
    danoid - did MC3 come with 2 CD's? or just MC4?

SisterMaria - I've never had MC3, so I don't know for certain - hopefully danoid or someone who's had MC3 can come back and verify. if you only have 1 CD for MC3 yourself, put it in the computer and see if it has any of the videos on it or not. it's possible that they're already on your CD. if you don't have them there and don't have a 2nd CD, however, you probably won't be able to get them. you could try emailing cakewalk and tell them you've dont have the 2nd CD (if indeed MC3 had 2 CDs) and you might be able to get it from them, I don't know.

which Sonar book did you order? for MC3, you need Sonar 4 Power book. and understand that it was written specifically for Sonar 4, and not for MC3. MC3 is a LIMITED version of Sonar 4, so some of the stuff in the book won't apply.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    pantherhawk27263
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/16 21:44:39 (permalink)
    MC3 did come with the 2 cd's, at least mine did. The videos were on the second disc.
    post edited by pantherhawk27263 - 2007/11/16 21:56:19

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    Beagle
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/16 23:10:51 (permalink)
    they all should have then, maybe sister's was just misplaced?

kine321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 438
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/17 05:46:21 (permalink)
    Does anyone know where I can get the CD set and the video tutorial? Have had MC3 for years. Still have the box.
    Years ago, now, Robomusic helped me get started with MC3 which I have used ever since and very simply:

Let, me point out...she,stated she has had MC3 for years! We know MC3 hasn't been out for years. Maybe,a type O?

Yes, MC3 has basic (overview)tutorials( in a monotone voice) that, really does more to confuse than help, IMO. There are a lot of gaps and gives too much info at once about various functions. It's, not well produced.

Disclaimer: These statements are merely an opinion and not meant to offend those that may find the CD tutorials useful!

SrMaria
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/20 07:07:45 (permalink)
    When given the computer in 03, it already had Cakewalk installed. Was given the box with manual and cd. I did put it in, as you suggested, and tried something on it called "Explore CD". Did download some "tutorials" I found there, not sequentially numbered, but they didn't play, which I assume is because there is no MIDI connection.
    So I think that route to finding what just audio offers is exhausted. Which is fine. When I went to Garrigus' site, hit MC 3, the book recommended was simply Sonar Power - no number - which I then ordered. So we'll see. I'm sure I will learn from it. This may not interest you, but when I got Audio Audition and wondered at its clumsiness in deletions, I found I was certainly not the only one. In fact, someone by the name of Edward Hamlin had written a download called "audiofilecleanup" which worked beautifully. He has an interesting website. Cakewalk is much easier, tho.

Thank you so much for your kindness. Vote for what??? Sister
    Beagle
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/20 13:16:26 (permalink)
    Sister Maria,
    If you can't hear any of the tutorials, then you need to work tutorial #8 first. it will explain to you how to use a softsynth, then you can apply that to the other tutuorials before proceeding to learn what they're about because it will allow you to hear all of them.

Sonar Power with no number associated with it will not be a good help to you. you need Sonar 4 Power.
    here's the link directly to the Sonar 4 Power book:
    http://www.digifreq.com/pwrbkinf.asp?BookID=7

As for the vote - there is a contest on the gearwire website for the "Most Valuable Poster" which I am a candidate for. if I get the most votes, I win $5,000 worth of gear.

CakeMaker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/22 00:15:57 (permalink)
    Hey guys,

After much poking and prodding around- I discovered that the PDF file that's sposed to be in MC4 is NOT! However, I did manage to get a hold of it after hounding certain "bakers" (heehee). I think it was mistakenly left out this time around. If anyone would like a copy of the PDF file, please just PM me with your email address and when i get back to my studio after the turkey days (like on Monday the 26th), i'll try my best to email one to everyone who asks. I'll try to email Sister also, and let her know in case she doesn't see this. Granted it's not written for MC3, BUT-- it does have alot of the basics in it, and I think it will be a bit of help for her anyway.

Thats my Gobble Gobble for my forum family

Bestest,
    C/M
    Beagle
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/22 00:41:05 (permalink)
    Hey Cake! thanks for that! if you'll send it to me, I'll make it available on my website for download for everyone!

I just tried to PM you and your PM box is full (you only get 4 before the inbox is full!)

HEY! Maybe I should write an MC book and be famous like the Garrigus!!!
    post edited by Beagle - 2007/11/22 01:07:44

SrMaria
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/22 09:12:39 (permalink)
    I did disc>sample content>tutorial#8. No sound. Four tutorials listed: 1,4,5, and 8. Only #5 played any sound. What I am doing is very simple and would bore you all to tears. Transcribing the Benoit Elevations. Corelli. Etc. This I do with mic on piano. Sometimes it is appropriate to add a flute obligato, let's say, or some bells. This I have been doing by putting the mic on the Yamaha keyboard, previously described, and using "sound on sound". I'm sure there is a better way. For example, sometimes the flute doesn't quite line up and rather than doing it over and over I'd like to just nudge it over a bit! Same with one wrong note. It woild be nice to know just what I can do with audio, or should I connect the keyboard, somehow. Anyway, that was an interesting message from CakeMaker, wasn't it? So nice of him to say he'd send a copy. I'll alsol look for what he found on - your website is "beagle"? - . I'm sorry I didn't know what the contest was all about in time. Hope you won.

Please accept my most sincere thanks for even bothering with something so rudimentary.
    So generous with your time and knowledge. And a Happy Thanksgiving. Sister
    Beagle
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/22 10:24:46 (permalink)
    No bother, Sister!

The tutorials you listed won't play until you actually work THRU the instructions on Tutorial #8. the instructions in the tutorial help files tell you how to insert a soft synth. And actually for what you say you want to do, it would actually help you with your projects, if you want to spend that much time on them. you can connect your yamaha keyboard up with a MIDI to USB cable (or your keyboard might already have a USB connection available depending on the model) and record MIDI, then using the softsynths which are explained in tutorial #8, you can play flute, bells, etc or change the sound to something completely different like sax! and by recording MIDI instead of audio, you can EDIT the midi notes even after you've played them. move them around to the correct timing if your timing was off a little, or lengthen the note duration, shorten it, change the velocity. MIDI is wonderfully versatile - but can be time consuming.

if you don't want to go that route, you can just use audio from your keyboard in a much better way. you'll need to get some more cables and adapters, probably and you can connect the audio output of your keyboard directly into the input of your soundcard and that way you just record directly from the keyboard instead of setting up the microphone and worrying about someone making noise while you're recording.

if you give me the model of your keyboard I can help you with both of those options above. but if you want to start learning MIDI, go ahead and start working thru Tutorial #8 in the help files and it will get you going on inserting a softsynth.

yes, Cakemaker is very sweet for offering her help. I don't have it on the website yet, she's in UK and is probably at work right now (if she works - it's about 3:30 there as I write this).

thanks for the wishes on the contest - I should know more in about 2 weeks!

CakeMaker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: instruction manual for music creator 2007/11/22 11:29:40 (permalink)
    Yes!

Beag- You are completely correct. My in-box got full very quickly. I wasn't aware of the 4 message limit. But I've taken all the info out (copied & pasted into another document) so that i could clear up the box. Hopefully, its all ok now.

And, yes Beagle, I think that'd be a brilliant idea to make it available on your server, if you'd be so kind.... will ya PM me with a good addy for you, and I'll get that PDF manual right off to ya, soon as i get back to the studios on Monday (26th). Of course, i'll also send to anyone who asks. Gotta try to remember to clear out that message box more often now that I've made this offer.

If anyone tries to PM me, and you get the 'box full' message- please just try again later. Will try my best to keep an eye on it over the next few dayz whilst the all the turkey festivities are occurring (gobble gobble)

Bestest 2 all,
    C/M
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1