Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2012/05/22 10:53:13 (permalink)

instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve"

instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve"

from the album "The Time is Magic"

features Brent Dacus on drums.

http://soundcloud.com/bat.brew/bb10-allans-resolve

be happy to talk about any of the recording gear, process, thoughts.....
or, talk about beer.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

33 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/22 11:09:48 (permalink)
    Anyone that writes instrumentals should have a listen to this song.  Instead of minute after minute of mindless noodling around, this song has a sense of direction and purpose that so many songs lack.  It is well arranged, mixed, and performed, and it never gets dull.  As always, your songs sound very professional.  Nuff said.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/22 11:45:23 (permalink)
    Hi BB, excellent as ever, needs more guitar though ; )

Rik
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/22 14:27:02 (permalink)
    And cow bell. More cowbell. ;) Great job all around.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/24 03:45:59 (permalink)
    Hey, Rob,

Terrific job and spectacular playing on this unique, captivating instrumental!

I absolutely love the guitar tones, the fluidity of the soloing, and the little breaks and dynamic changes that keep everything interesting throughout the entire ride.

Dynamite work, brother!
    Bob
    batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/24 14:10:33 (permalink)

LYNN
    thanks for those kind words!
    well, this is definitely not a 'jam' type of instrumental, every note of every phrase was worked out.
    i've gone thru about 4 versions of this song to get it done.
    glad you dig it!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/24 14:12:16 (permalink)

morenoise
    appreciate that rik, i'll try some more guitar parts.
    LOL
    you know, it's only 2 rhythm guitar parts, and a melody guitar with an occasional harmony part.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/24 14:15:08 (permalink)

foxwolfen

you know, i tried so hard to find a spot for a cowbell part!

heheh

thanks for listening

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/24 14:16:13 (permalink)

bob
    glad you liked this one!
    it started out as a little more fusiony, a little more aggressive, in my very first demo of it.
    but over time, it mellowed out a bit, and landed right where it really wanted to be...
    it's more of a ballad.

it is inspired by allan holdsworth's story, basically, how he's pretty much stuck to his 'artistic' guns, his 'resolve', in spite of the fact that he has starved, at times, for his principles. hence the title.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/24 14:17:14 (permalink)

GENERAL INFO:

guitar parts: melody guitar, and (2) rhythm tracks, panned left and right.
    at times there is a harmony to the melody guitar, so at any given time, typically there are 3-4 guitar parts going.

the rig i used for guitar, is my old Mesa Boogie, a Mark2b, 60 watt head, running thru a 1x12 closed back cab with a celestion G12C in it.

the rhythm guitar parts were all run direct thru my Palmer PDI-09 interface. straight to a A Designs Audio MP-1 preamp, into a dbx compressor, and straight to sound card (maudio audiophile 192)

the solo was close miced, using a audio technica 4033. using the boogie, i goosed the drive channel with a Barber Direct Drive Super Sport, and a bit of tape delay patch in the boogie effects loop, from my Yamaha DG Stomp.

all the guitar tracks were done using my USACG strat build, with the bill lawrence pickups in it.

The high pitched bell like sounds, are (4) tracks of chopstick drumming on champagne glasses, run thru a limiter and a flanger.
    they also show up at 3:50-3:53 for one measure.

drums were tracked at another studio, in the DFW area. i sent in a demo tape with drum machine, then brent learned the song and tracked along with it, he sent me his tracks back, and i re-recorded the entire track with the new live drum tracks.

bass is a Carvin LB70 thru a sansamp bass di, split thru the mesa boogie, and the 2 tracks were summed together.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/24 14:57:07 (permalink)
    VERY tasty
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/24 16:05:11 (permalink)
    this is superb, BB. Probably your most conventional song for a while, but no less awesome for that. love the percussion in the second half. your solo phrasing reminds me a lot of chris poland, one of my favourite solo guitar dudes...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/25 14:47:52 (permalink)
    daryl!
    thanks man, tastes best with some tabasco

mgh
    appreciate the comment......
    my champange glass/chopstic percussion?!
    heheh

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/28 12:26:47 (permalink)
    holiday push...
    before i take her down, and try another.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/28 15:28:39 (permalink)
    Sweet

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Mahavishnu
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/28 18:04:05 (permalink)
    Good overall mix and construction - I had a few beers with Allan in the '80s when he was working with his "Synthaxe" - he used to pop into "Anderton's " music shop in Guildford, Southern England the town where I lived - so I recognize the sound and mood.

There's a hint of prog there and the last section has quite a Scottish feel to it - One critique and only one - the ending deserves more - maybe a fade out or an allantastic explosion perhaps?

Great work all the same

Ireno Funes

Still searching for the ultimate riff

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=739631

Sonar Platinum 64, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Goliath & Fab Four, Yamaha S90, Audient iD14,
    Prodipe BiAMp Monitors, Dell Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz, Windows 10, x64Bit, 32Gb Ram.
    batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/30 11:34:37 (permalink)
    wookie
    thanks for listening, glad you liked it.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/30 11:38:02 (permalink)
    mahavishnu

(hehe, that moniker always makes me think of 'inner mounting flame')
    plus, i have always been a cobham fan......

thanks for checking this one out

it does have a prog edge to it, yet, the melodies are quite simple and direct.

i didn't want to stretch out at the end.... i have a whole slew of instrumentals where i get to do that kind of stuff...i wanted to dial this one back, to make more of a melody statement.

you know, i got to meet holdsworth back in the 90's....

saw him live in charlotte nc in '92
    an extremely good gig, in a really small blues bar. 'double door', i think.....

it was so funny, the light show was 4 pars hanging from the ceiling.....

the pa was a single scoop and mid and high tweeter a side......

i think the only thing going through it was a little of the keys and maybe a touch of bass and guitar.....

pretty much the whole thing was stage volume, i don't even remember seeing any mics on the kit........

holdsworth had such a rich tone, sort of like a huge giant violin with a pickup on it..... or maybe a cello, yeah, much deeper tone..... it would rumble the walls.......
    he had a stereo rig, 2 mesa boogie 50 watt heads, going into that rocktron loading device he used to pitch, then into a mesa stereo tube amp..... into a pair of 2x12 mesa cabs......
    the drummer was chad wackerman, and geez, this guys' got to get the most valuable player award...... what chops!
    holdsworth really played left field that night, i personally like it when he's more melodic, but this night was all about showing off the chops, and he did...... he was playing **** that i couldn't believe....... for example, at one moment, he was going up the neck, but the notes were going down......and i saw it, and i heard it, and i couldn't understand it.......so fluid, it was like listening to water come down a rock face, flowing freely which ever way the rock would twist and flatten.....

he had the young swedish dude playing bass with him, he was good, but not as good as some he's worked with in the past......

i have a tape, i used one of those dictation devices..........
    it's a terrible recording, i'm thinking about trying to clean it up with the mastering toolkit program on my vs880ex........

at the end of the night, they were all signing autographs, and i just couldn't bring myself to go be one of the maddening crowd....

so i just hung out, and watched...

and after all the guitar heads and drum-heads (HA) came and went, he finally went to the bar to get himself a pint......

so at this time, i decided i would approach him, and offer to buy his beer... but someone shot in there, with albums in hand, and asked him to sign the album that he did inbetween igginbottom and tony williams (?), and he became so pissed, going off about how they had released the album without the bands permission, and they didn't get any cut of the money from it, and all this stuff, and basically just blew his mood!

so this guy tucks his tail and splits, i wait a while, then go up to him and say "i just want to tell you that you're quite an inspiration, please come back."

and he just totally chilled, smiled, and shook my hand...

it was like shaking hands with a baboon.
    biggest hands i've ever seen.
    scary big.
    LOL.............

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/30 21:20:33 (permalink)
    I remember an earlier incarnation of this IIRC.

It's an excellent homage to the man, as well being an awesome track in it's own right.

Yer man on the drums there is no slouch either.  You should be rightly proud of this, it's a fantastic job really well done.

Top drawer.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/31 05:21:15 (permalink)
    Here ya go, here's a testament.

I have my 83 year old mother-in-law here just now and she's a classical buff, I was playing this and she walks in the room and says, 'yeah, that's nice!'.

So that's another good review...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/05/31 23:24:36 (permalink)
    the batstew is brewing on this one for sure! Wow, what a great production and the guitar takes your breath away. Great production on this. I enjoyed this very much and will listen to it again. Blessings, John

P.S. For some of my latest productions click on my JRK Compendium link and go to the music page. Hope you enjoy. John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/06/01 14:51:38 (permalink)

jonbouy
    thanks for checking this one out....
    yes, there was an earlier version, maybe the one with the original drum machine tracks?
    can't remember now...

first heard holdsworth back in '77, i guess it was UK, then i went back and found his earlier stuff, and then followed him from there on out...
    and it occurred to me, this dude is probably starving playing this kind of stuff!!
    LOL

then i found out later, he practically was....
    but, i was impressed with his courage to stick it out, even as producers were actively trying to change his thing (ted templeman comes to mind).

brent dacus, on drums.

he's a degreed player, does work with the dallas forth worth symphony, plays 'gig stew' all around the area there....
    he did a wonderful job of interpreting what i really wanted.
    i wouldn't change a beat.

i had some issues mixing the drums.
    the capture (another engineer did the recording in DFW, and sent me the files) was not the best, and there were phase issues i had to work around.
    kinda reminds me of the other thread that was going on in the techniques forum....

and i laughed, when i wrote that your mother in law was diggin' on it.
    hehehe, that's great, tell her i said thanks!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/06/01 14:55:20 (permalink)

the guitar player

appreciate the listen and comments....
    tried to put some 'ear candy' in there...
    but was mostly testing out the new strat build, seeing what i could get out of it.

i was pretty impressed with the range of tones.
    the lawrence pickps rock.

i've dialed it in a lot better, since this recording.

thanks for the links too, will check them out.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

eric paul
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 241
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/06/03 20:51:17 (permalink)
    hey batsbrew that was smokeing all good great medley and guitar chops great arrangement very well done always enjoy eric
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/06/03 21:41:38 (permalink)
    Now that's a cool instrumental...great all around!!  Superb drumming, great tune and arrangement, awesome playing and impeccable tone.  Great stuff!  
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/06/04 13:48:47 (permalink)
    I just got the CD so I'm going to listen on home system to start.  Woo Hoo!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/06/05 10:20:38 (permalink)

eric paul
    thanks eric, glad you enjoyed it

janet
    thanks so much for listening to this one....
    i actually had a version of this on piano, a long time ago...
    it wasn't quite as realized as this one, but it originated there.

warren
    crank it up!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/06/05 22:19:26 (permalink)
    You don't have a recording of the piano version, do you?  I'd love to hear it. 
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/06/05 23:11:01 (permalink)
    I read and listened to this without my glasses on and thought the title was "Allah's Resolve".  needless to say, I realized very quickly that either you had an odd sense of humor or that there are customs in the Islamic world. of course, i have now read the actual song title and have been laughing at myself ever since.  Silliness aside, great tune. Nice balance . smooth and uplifting with the nice amount of energy in the parts where needed.
    batsbrew
    Re:instrumental ballad, "Allan's Resolve" 2012/06/06 16:16:24 (permalink)
    janet-
    no, i never did a recording of that version.
    i wished i had....
    my piano chops aren't as good anymore, but i've really only got one keyboard now, it's not a weighted keyboard, it's hard to practice on it.
    i really need a good keyboard.....

dub-
    that cracked me up!
    'allah's resolve'

that's a better title, can i steal it?!

thanks for checking it out, and commenting

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1