...it's a new Program Start folder for me

Author
addajio
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2009/07/02 23:31:40 (permalink)

...it's a new Program Start folder for me

Edit: In Vista:

When I click on the "Program Handling" button to assign a new program to an instance of DP, I am taken to the default Start Folder: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs.

However, I keep my working .prog files on another drive and am currently creating, editing blah,blah many .progs, and so would like to point Dim Pro to that location:

E:\Prog\DoDa\DoDa

Since I can't change the default Program folder within DP [as in Sonar] I'm bound by laziness to somehow point it to my more convenient location...thus saving thousands of trips to the new default .prog folders.

I followed other threads of users trying to Move their sample folders elsewhere, and it would appear that I need to alter/add some Registry info.

...seems that in effect, I'm kinda doing what they did [not moving SAMPLES and changing the Registry to find them, but telling DP to Start looking for PROGRAMS in a new location.

So, has someone done this lately?...hope so for my sake.

But before going it alone in Registry-world I am here to consult the "Pros from Dover" and avoid Desktop mayhem - I FEAR the Registry...but am motivated to return there if
armed properly.

thanks for any advice, instructions, or sympathy.

post edited by addajio - 2009/07/08 16:39:31

4 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: ...it's a new Program Start folder for me 2009/07/04 09:33:52 (permalink)
    Express Engine Multisample Relocation contains the information you seek.
    addajio
    RE: ...it's a new Program Start folder for me 2009/07/07 15:53:55 (permalink)
    I took your advice and got the information:

Registry locations
    [edit]
    Dimension Pro
    • Key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension Pro\Multisamples Folder"
    • Value: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\
    • Key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension Pro\Contents Folder"
    • Value: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\

...these seem like the locations for the Multisample/Start folder, and I am looking for the Programs/Start folder...sorry if I didn't make that clear enough. I'm only rarely in the Registry, so this isn't yet an intuitive process for me.

I tried altering the locations of the above, but DP then could not find the samples to load instruments on one, and could not load itself if I changed the other. I checked the Archives again, but can't find info on the Program/Start folder location in the Registry from any of those threads...only for the Multisample location.

I took the actual path of the .Prog files from Windows Explorer and then used it to search it and many variations of that path using the Registry Search function, always with the same hits...none matching my searches or any referencing the "Programs" folder in DP "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs", which clearly exists..

If anyone can point me to the Registry location of the Start folder where DP looks for its Programs [in Vista], I would be very grateful.

Thanks - Tony
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: ...it's a new Program Start folder for me 2009/07/07 18:17:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: addajio

I tried altering the locations of the above, but DP then could not find the samples to load instruments on one, and could not load itself if I changed the other. I checked the Archives again, but can't find info on the Program/Start folder location in the Registry from any of those threads...only for the Multisample location.

Tony,

The registry key you need to modify is the one that ends in "Contents Folder".

1. Close all instances of Dimension Pro.

2. Edit the registry and place the desired path for Dimension Pro content into the "Contents Folder" key and end it with a trailing slash.

3. Create the path on your file system identical to the path you entered into the registry....you will need to have a sub-folder within that path called "Programs" because Dimension Pro expects it to be there. You will also need a copy of the Dimension Pro "Resources" folder at that location. For example, if your path is "E:\Dimension Pro\" then you'll need to create a folder called "Programs" inside of that, and copy the original Dimension Pro "Resources" folder and its contents as well. So you would end up with

"E:\Dimension Pro\" (top-level of your new Content folder)
    "E:\Dimension Pro\Programs\" (top-level of your new .prog hierarchy...create nested sub-folders and .prog files here as desired)
    "E:\Dimension Pro\Resources\" (and this folder has all the skin resource files in it that were in the original Dimension Pro installation directory). Dim Pro won't launch the GUI if it can't find this folder at the new location.

4. Launch Dimension Pro and attempt to load a program via the "new" button, or open the Program Browser and press F5--you should find yourself browsing in your new default .prog location.

5. Dimension Pro also consults the "Contents Folder" key to find the "Documents" sub-folder and possibly other file/folders as well. So you may want to move your "Documents" sub-folder to the new location. I'm not sure yet about the Tunings folder.

6. Loading an element causes Dimension Pro to remember where it last loaded from. It may default to the original installation's Elements folder at first but each time you use this feature it remembers where you were last at, so changing registry entries does not appear to have an affect on where Dimension Pro subsequently looks for .elem files.

-Bob
    post edited by techead - 2009/07/07 18:37:54
    addajio
    RE: ...it's a new Program Start folder for me 2009/07/08 07:40:22 (permalink)
    - beautiful...man!

...perfect instructions, and thanks for taking the time to spell it all out.

When I hit F5 and it put me right in my newly created Programs folder...I felt the love.

In fact, I had only been thinking in terms of a shortcut to my Progams folder when I use the Program Handling button, but NOW, getting all of my Programs into that beautiful Blue Program Browser has put a lasting smile on my face!

I actually HAD edited that Registry key to no effect, not having created the "Programs" and Resources" folders first.

I'm surprised that I didn't find more folks/threads trying to do the same thing with Program, not Multisample relocation, but most of you here probably saw that you could do both from the same area of the Registry...inexperience bites.

Now I can have my edit-able files off of the OS Drive...DP and the samples can always be re-installed there should disaster strike.

Thanks MUCH Bob, you've save a GREAT deal of navigation over the coming months...heck...Years!!!

Appreceate it - Tony

Edit: You also need to copy and paste "DefaultRegion.sfz" + "DefaultEffects.sfz: from the C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro [original] folder into your New Programs folder [the one you entered in the Registry Key].
    otherwise effects will not function, and other "oddities" may occur, at least in Vista.

post edited by addajio - 2009/07/09 01:43:29
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1