its repetative, electronic and proud.

Author
bubblefish
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 914
2005/05/10 00:31:13 (permalink)

its repetative, electronic and proud.

hi there i know I,ve not been around lately but heres one of the resons why, its not mixed down yet , I,m trying to leave that for a different session so as not to confuse my l-r brain functioning.

its constructed to be mixed by Dj so its DJ friendly with regards its structure.

anyway please feel free to listen and critique.

left turn to midnight

If you live the sacred and despise the ordinary,
you are still bobbing in the ocean of delusion

Some sounds with spaces

16 Replies Related Threads

billboutin
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 483
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/10 07:34:59 (permalink)
    Good to see you on the forum again. I really like this one, it conjures up all kinds of futuristic, hi- tech s.f. imagery. Would love to see this in a video or as a soundtrack.
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/10 09:43:49 (permalink)
    Very cool, Bubbles! Nicely evolving while still remaining minimalistic, and the synths sound like they're trying to talk...
    LOVED it!

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    nnc studio
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/10 10:23:04 (permalink)
    very smoooove! Reminds me of early 808 State...great track.
    Will you actually be getting this into the hands of DJ's?- (something I'm contemplating with my stuff)....
    bubblefish
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/11 16:32:20 (permalink)
    thanks for the feedback and kind words guys

bill: cheers man its good to be back and thanks for the support.

sonic: thanks and yes i know what you mean about the synths almost sounding like they're talking, i think perhaps its down to me experimenting with riffs playing sustained notes for a duration of 3/8ths with some oscilation and a little upward glide some where near the middle, ....i think anyway glad you liked it.

nnc:

very smoooove! Reminds me of early 808 State...great track.
    Will you actually be getting this into the hands of DJ's?- (something I'm contemplating with my stuff)....

cheers, i was actually thinking myself it had a kind of early 90's nievity and simplisity about it. One of the sounds reminded me of an old luke slater 12" i have.

as for getting it pressed, well i doubt it, although i often think about it. I,m just to unmotivated to chase those things these days, i just like creating music for myself really (I,m not as young as i used to be).....but who knows maybe I,ll get discovered one day.

still its not the hard to do if your intersted and prepaired to do the leg work yourself. you might not make your money back but at least you'll have your own record!!!!! and alot of ashtrays/frizzbees/novilty placemats

conversly though you might make $100,000

Some sounds with spaces
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/11 17:17:55 (permalink)
    Great track. It does have a late 80's-early 90's detroit feel to it and i could imaging Juan Atkins producing a track like this. I really loved the subtle build up and the talking synth sound was lovely. This is one of your best so far imo. I've always been meaning to do a detroit style track myself. Maybe this track has given me the impetus to do it.
    post edited by blipp - 2005/05/11 17:22:36
    M
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/11 17:55:23 (permalink)
    Yeah, Kieran! Loved the evolution of this. Liked the syncopations in the snare and hi-hat sounds, once they got started. There were nice transitions as sounds entered and exited, too. My favorite from you, so far.

I'd love to collaborate with you sometime (somehow) on something.

M
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/11 18:14:31 (permalink)
    Kieran,
    Nice one. Interesting cross genre piece - electronica sounds, jazzy chords, and dance beat based on a Brazilian/Samba rhythm. What else could one ask for?
    bubblefish
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/13 02:05:14 (permalink)
    thanks for the replies guys,

blipp:

I've always been meaning to do a detroit style track myself. Maybe this track has given me the impetus to do it.

john about time you put that plan into action, non? what have you got to lose? and i cetainly don,t mind sounding like juan atkins i spent more than a few hours of my life bouncing around to his tunes in dark london warehouses.

M; thanks again for for the support, I,ve been listening alot to jazz lately in particular early miles davis, and have been trying to recreate some of that feel and swing into my own stuff in particular the drums.

As for the collaboration...well I,m flattered, and definatly interested. although we'll perhaps need to hang on a bit before starting something as I'm about to move house in the next 2 weeks, so it,ll take awhile to get up and running again. So if you don,t mind waiting a bit I,m sure we can sort something out.

ed:
    Interesting cross genre piece - electronica sounds, jazzy chords, and dance beat based on a Brazilian/Samba rhythm.

you always impress me, I think you caught about every musical influense i have there I love that latin swing, and jazzy groove. I only wish i could capture it better in my own stuff. I was always amazed at just how much feeling and swing could come out of a jazz trio or quartet. so few instuments but so much emotion.

What else could one ask for?

nina simon or bjork, to sing over the top?

anyway thanks people for sharing your thoughts with me as always its really appriciated. And sorry for the slow responces, thing are getting alittle hectic pre move......

BTW its all me this, no pre fab loops or riffs.

king regards

kieran
    post edited by bubblefish - 2005/05/13 02:18:05

Some sounds with spaces
    M
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/13 08:07:17 (permalink)
    As for the collaboration...well I,m flattered, and definatly interested. although we'll perhaps need to hang on a bit before starting something as I'm about to move house in the next 2 weeks, so it,ll take awhile to get up and running again. So if you don,t mind waiting a bit I,m sure we can sort something out.

Hey, Kieran!

Good luck with the move, and an advance happy birthday (if I don't happen to be posting on the 18th)!

I didn't find your email address anywhere; but you can feel free to email me so that we can establish some communication outside of the forums:

mmorrisATnoiseinthebasementDOTcom

Yeah, I've really enjoyed the tracks you've posted, and I'm serious about experimenting with melding together, in various ways, some of the aspects of what we're each doing. It seems like there's some opportunity to create in there!

Anyway, I'll sit tight until you have the time to think about this. In the interim, feel free to email (or not) as your time permits.

Very cool!

M
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/18 12:15:58 (permalink)
    very cool. nice and subtle.
    I've been listening to a lot of material like this for the past 3 weeks as my buddy and I have opened up a vodka bar (hence the infrequent postings). Sitting here in front of the PC with a JD and ice it's the perfect thing to get the alpha waves going.

Happy birthday, Kieran

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

CapnSpanky
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/18 13:46:40 (permalink)
    It's a little hard for me to critique this, since I don't understand the genre. But FWIW, I thought it was good.

Tim Wells
    -------
    Cap'n Spanky
    From the Planet Screwball
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/18 18:44:32 (permalink)
    Happy birthday, Kieran
    Very observant.

Happy Birthday, Kiernan
    May all of your bubbles come true.
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/19 02:14:53 (permalink)
    hi kieran,
    happy birthday to you! .. i liked this one a lot.
    I think the synth work is excellent. what did you
    use to voice the lead?
    jeff
    bubblefish
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/19 19:42:31 (permalink)
    thanks for the feed back and birthday greetings everyone

what did you
    use to voice the lead?

well i had had to go back and check, but its something like this.

to start with i used a subractor synth within reason, and chose the TB synth patch which is a 303 clone and one of the closest sounding patchs i have found. i then copied the riff from the first synth bass line and used this as a template for the second synth, however this time i altered the pattern slightly to give a little variation.

i also added synced lfo to this alternating between oscilation and freq cut settings.

I then added liberal amounts of reverb (hall) and delay (1/8 delay i think so its sits neatly behind the beat giving it body) some chourus/flanger and a phaser.

then i adjusted the filter freq. and filter res. (in real time) to cut the sound in and out of the track,as a DJ might, also you can change the groove of the piece by sweeping away highs adding an extra bass line or build up rises depending on the settings of these two controls

with the delay setting you are assured of in tempo sounds even if your chopping is a little out and although you can always edit it later sometimes i feel the lttle odd cuts can add flavor to a track.

well thats about it thanks again for the support people. i hope i can get back to responding to a few others tracks soon as well. (house move 1st june and counting)

and good luck with your new venture paul

Some sounds with spaces
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/19 21:04:24 (permalink)
    and good luck with your new venture paul
    Cheers, Keiran. I'll raise a glass in your direction tonight.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

david122
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: its repetative, electronic and proud. 2005/05/20 06:07:55 (permalink)
    I like this a lot kieran.

Actually about a minute into it - I started to hear the Tears for Fears singing "Shout" acapella.
    Now there's a thought...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1