kontakt cpu spiking

Author
filtersweep
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
2017/10/27 14:38:28 (permalink)

kontakt cpu spiking

I have searched NI forums extensively but found no solution or many recent threads on this issue. My system (6700k, 32gB RAM, SSD x 3, Roland Octacapture, running Win10) seems pretty robust and generally has not issues but for reasons I cannot explain cannot run more than a couple of Kontakt5 instruments without choking. A typical scenario would be 3 or 4 instruments, e.g., Maverick, OTS Modern Nylon, OTS  Strawberry and Vintage organs running standalone resulting in cpu spikes to 100% causing momentary audio dropouts. When not spiking the cpu indicator (in Kontakt) is generally less than 20%. CPU meter in task manager is very low, barely registering and never reflects the spikes which are instantaneous and probably too short to register. I notice that the spikes seem only to happen if I have been playing for awhile, several minutes at least. But once they start they rapidly recur every few seconds. Changing driver settings, even increasing to unplayable degree of latency does not seem to matter. Thoughts??

Brian

Sonar Platinum (lifetime). Kurzweil PC3X. Native Intruments S61. Native Instruments Maschine Micro Mk2, Roland OctaCapture. JBL 4328 monitors and 4312 sub. Windows 10. Intel 6700X, 32 gB RAM,  3 Crucial SSD (250/500/500). Komplete 10, Ample Sound SG, AAS Lounge Lizard/Strum/Strings/Chromo/UltraAnalog/Tass, Addictive Drums 2, a few others.

12 Replies Related Threads

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/10/27 14:50:47 (permalink)
    Are you running the latest version of Kontakt (v5.7.1)? If so, have you always had the problem, or just after updating?

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/10/27 14:54:58 (permalink)
    Some of the Vintage Organs are CPU killers.

-Matt

Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/10/27 15:00:00 (permalink)
    Do you have plug in load balancing "ticked" (activated?)  I had terrible spiking with Izotope Neutron, until they advised use VST3 ONLY and also I de-activated plug in load balancing - I still get very occasional spiking but the problem is say 95% resolved
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/10/27 15:11:28 (permalink)
    Just in case you haven't done this......check to make sure your Octacapture has the latest drivers installed.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    filtersweep
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/10/28 00:14:30 (permalink)
    TheMaartian
    Are you running the latest version of Kontakt (v5.7.1)? If so, have you always had the problem, or just after updating?

I know 5.7.1 just came out. I will update tonight.

msorrels
    Some of the Vintage Organs are CPU killers.

I have heard that too, but still...I should have plenty of computer horsepower.

Bajan Blue
    Do you have plug in load balancing "ticked" (activated?)  I had terrible spiking with Izotope Neutron, until they advised use VST3 ONLY and also I de-activated plug in load balancing - I still get very occasional spiking but the problem is say 95% resolved
    Nigel

Not sure how to do that but I will have a look around and see what I find. Some on NI advocated disabling multicore support. Mine is enabled, but disabling was only advocated when used in a DAW with its own thread scheduling. I have this problem in standalone and in Sonar. I suppose I should disable it when in the DAW.

Mesh
    Just in case you haven't done this......check to make sure your Octacapture has the latest drivers installed.

Roland has an unusual driver situation. You cannot go their website and DL a Win10 driver. The device phones home (after the software is updated to 1.5) and gets the appropriate driver from Roland. My software and driver are up to date.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate all the help I can get!

Sonar Platinum (lifetime). Kurzweil PC3X. Native Intruments S61. Native Instruments Maschine Micro Mk2, Roland OctaCapture. JBL 4328 monitors and 4312 sub. Windows 10. Intel 6700X, 32 gB RAM,  3 Crucial SSD (250/500/500). Komplete 10, Ample Sound SG, AAS Lounge Lizard/Strum/Strings/Chromo/UltraAnalog/Tass, Addictive Drums 2, a few others.
    filtersweep
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/11/16 23:47:41 (permalink)
    Finally have worked through as many alternatives as I can think of to explains this behavior.
    It is not Sonar as it happens equally in standalone.
    It is unrelated to speed step or any other bios settings.
    Unrelated to whether wifi is enabled or not.
    It is not a Roland driver issue - the same thing happens with my Focusrite 2i2.
    It does not matter if I run multiple instances of single instruments or multiple instruments in one rack.
    It only happens with Kontakt. I can run mult instances of Ample AGG, AAS instruments, mult other NI instruments or anything else without problems.
    That said, I dont think the problem is Kontakt, per se. I can run large multis without problems, say 5 or 6 instruments with cpu (monitored in Kontakt) usually peaking around 25% and averaging much less UNTIL I throw in an instance of OTS Stratosphere. Once I do that the cpu starts cranking about 40 -50% and if I add a second instance of Stratosphere it will crash within 5 minutes of playing fast dense chords. Interestingly (to me) a second instance of Stratosphere will rapidly develop clicks and drop outs then crash even if two instances of Stratosphere are the only instruments in the rack. I have been experimenting using Cupcake and E Flat presets for each instance every time. They do have effects so other presets may behave better (or worse). I experience no prob running multiple instances of OTS Modern Nylon.
    Latency Mon runs green until it crashes, then suddenly red. 

In summary, it appears that OTS Stratosphere is the culprit. Also seems curious that it takes a little time to develop. As if Stratos isnt letting go of notes and they eventually build up with a crescendo of clicks and drops before ultimately crashing.

Is it possible that there is some parameter in Stratos that I have mistakenly changed or perhaps a bug that causes this behaviour? I would be very interested to know if others can reproduce this problem or if others can run multiple jnstances of Stratos all day with no issues??

Brian

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/11/17 00:37:43 (permalink)
    Bajan Blue
    Nigel

From my understanding Plug Load Balancing has nothing to do with Virtual Instruments, VSTi's, it only works with VST's, FX plugins and such.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
    Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
    More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/11/17 18:39:18 (permalink)
    I forwarded an issue back then to spitfire , and i narrowed the issues to voices handling in the last versions of kontakts specially when they use in the script the octaver or stuff that when you play one not it play several , so when you start to play chord , it in fact mega chords !!!!

It was confirmed by spitfire and NI is aware ...it s on their side , it was wasn t present before a certain update ....

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/11/17 18:39:18 (permalink)
    I forwarded an issue back then to spitfire , and i narrowed the issues to voices handling in the last versions of kontakts specially when they use in the script the octaver or stuff that when you play one not it play several , so when you start to play chord , it in fact mega chords !!!!

It was confirmed by spitfire and NI is aware ...it s on their side , it was wasn t present before a certain update ....

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/11/17 21:38:45 (permalink)
    Can you make a SONAR project using Kontakt and OTS Stratosphere that shows this huge spiking?  I have OTS Stratosphere and I added a couple of instances and loaded those presets you mentioned and fed it some reasonable guitar MIDI files.  Inside Kontakt it was reporting the CPU around 20-25% but nothing crazy.  In Kontakt you can switch the instrument to info mode to see how many voices it's using and how much memory.  Might be a clue there.  Or if you can create a project that reproduces it reliably we could look at it.

-Matt

KAV
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/11/17 23:44:28 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, I've seen similar behaviour when untidy MIDI data was being sent to a Kontakt instrument.

In one case, there were a number of duplicate note events sent to a guitar instrument. In another case, there were a lot of zero-duration note events sent to a drum instrument (probably caused by some badly misjudged global MIDI edit operation). In both cases it appeared as if some Note Off events were not properly matched by the instrument which caused a small amount of CPU being wasted for each pending event even after the playback was stopped.

A couple of odd MIDI events didn't really matter, but when I kept repeatedly playing back the project, the tiny effect gradually cumulated until glitches, audio engine dropouts and even SONAR crashes started.

So it might be worthwhile to also take a look at the MIDI data stream that's being sent to the instrument.

Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, i7-3770K, 32GB RAM, 3TB SSD, LinnStrument
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re: kontakt cpu spiking 2017/11/18 10:31:07 (permalink)
    filtersweep
    Is it possible that there is some parameter in Stratos that I have mistakenly changed or perhaps a bug that causes this behaviour? I would be very interested to know if others can reproduce this problem or if others can run multiple jnstances of Stratos all day with no issues??

Try disabling Resonance in the Setup tab, I've found that to be a cpu spiker in any library that has Resonance turned on.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1