lenght of a file

Author
sirenadelmar
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
2010/11/17 23:07:08 (permalink)

lenght of a file

i converted my music files to RIFF WAVE.  All the files reflect the length in the work file but one file that decided to be 15 minutes long.  the file is actually 3:44:06.  i exported it twice, once with the cursor at the beginning of the song and once to the end of the song but that didn't make a difference.   i don't want it to be 15 minutes long: 3 of song and 12 of silence.  it doesn't look good on a CD such thing.

does anyone knows what's going on and how can i fix this? 

sirena del mar

3 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:lenght of a file 2010/11/17 23:16:41 (permalink)
    Sometimes events in a track will extend beyond the end of the track itself. Do you have any volume or pan envelopes in any of the tracks?
    It might be easier to bounce all your tracks down to 1 single stereo track in the same project. If there are events that are too long, (the resultant track will be way longer than the song, which you should be able to see), you can use the Split tool (looks like a pair of scissors) to cut the track after the music, then delete that noiseless part from the song (click the Split tool off, then right-click the empty part [it will turn black showing that it is selected], select Edit>Delete). You would then export that truncated stereo track.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:lenght of a file 2010/11/18 07:38:47 (permalink)
    What you need to look for is a musical event out there in the end of the project.  Perhaps a midi note or a snippit of audio.

I have had this happen a time or two.... I often will move a clip that I want to delete/replace, out past the end of the song for safe storage until I am sure the new clip will work perfectly. If I forget to delete it before final mixing it will be included in the export.

A track that has something in it further out will have a series of dots in the clear area (center) to indicate there is active material further along. All you really need to do is select a split point and delete everything in every track past that point.  Hold control to select all tracks while clicking and then delete the ending....

Also the time-line should/will  automatically STOP at the real ending of the song when it's in the playback mode. If it keeps rolling past the end, it's because you have more stuff out there somewhere. Simply find it and remove it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:lenght of a file 2010/11/18 09:45:46 (permalink)
    as these guys say, sometimes an event (usually associated with envelopes) beyond the end of the song causes this problem.

you can click on one of the tracks, hit CTRL-A to select all of them, then use the mouse cursor to drag along the timeline from the beginning to the end of the song.  whatever you choose on that timeline will then be exported when you export again.  if you miss some of the beginning or the end, just do it again until you get the time that only the song is to be played.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1