limiting and gating

Author
GGD
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2008/02/10 14:26:39 (permalink)

limiting and gating

hi there,
i just wanted to ask where you useing limiting at mixing point, adding it on for example drum buss, or so?
and gating where the gating can help? in which mixing process, drums? basses?

2 Replies Related Threads

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: limiting and gating 2008/02/10 16:36:35 (permalink)
    Limiting is primarily used when you want to turn something up but the peaks are clipping (going into "the red" and distorting). You can use it anywhere that you have that problem. Compression is similar to limiting but affects the whole waveform more gradually.

Gating at its most basic is used to cut out "noise between the notes"-- e.g. guitar hum. It can also be used to cut short the sustain of notes to make them snappier (e.g. kick or snare) or to reduce the level of "room sound." Sometimes a little gating get help a slightly "sloppy" sounding track if there are lots of breath noises or squeaks and creaks between the notes. A little goes a long way, and very often some gentle expansion works just as well as hard gating without getting the "chopped off" sound of a hard noise gate.

Cheers.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: limiting and gating 2008/02/11 05:16:18 (permalink)
    I use it only when i need to use it and the sound calls for it. It can also be used on any instrument. People just dont use a limiter or gate on one specific instrument. Its a tool and effect and is used only when need.
    just wanted to ask where you useing limiting at mixing point, adding it on for example drum buss, or so?
    and gating where the gating can help? in which mixing process, drums? basses?

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1