list of audio clips

Author
serauk
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
2006/05/08 20:16:15 (permalink)

list of audio clips

is there any way to get a list of the audio clips used by a Sonar 5 project? I've tried searching the forum here, but haven't been successful. I was able to figure out how to decode a .ACD file to get such a list, but Sonar has me stumped. I don't necessarily want to delete the files that aren't being used, so I don't think the Clean Audio tool is what I want. Any ideas? Thanks....

CMWright

12 Replies Related Threads

SH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/08 21:20:23 (permalink)
    What about using the CWAF tool. You can 'Save Report' then print the list.
    Is this what you mean?
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/08 21:26:36 (permalink)
    ... or just do File->Project Audio Files from the main menu.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    serauk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/08 21:49:44 (permalink)
    The file project audio command shows the information I want, but I would like to import the list into another program.

I haven't tried CWAF yet, because I was under the impression it only found files that are 'orphaned'. I'll give that a shot. Seems like I looked at one a while back but it was searching my entire hard drive for CWP and WAV files or something like that, and I was hoping for something more efficient.

Thanks

CMWright
    serauk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/09 05:07:06 (permalink)
    Actually, it turns out that neither of the suggestions actually gave me what I want, because I suspect that I need to do something else in Sonar so that the list of audio clips is correct. It shows that all of the takes I did for one track are currently in use in the project, although only one of those clips is actually used in the track. Is this what the Clean tool does? (I know, I know, rtfm). CWAF does give me the information I wanted, and I can easily massage the saved text file into a format that I can use, but why can't I limit the directories it searches? It even complained when I told it I only wanted one of my drives scanned, and that took a good 20 minutes. At least it didn't try to tell my clip library was completely orphaned...

CMWright
    glazfolk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/09 06:25:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: serauk

The file project audio command shows the information I want, but I would like to import the list into another program.

What is the other program? Do you need to manipulate the list in any way after importing it, or simply display it?

I ask, because with the Project Audio db window open you can of course press Alt Printscreen, then paste it into the other program as a graphic.

DigitalDesign Speakers
    glazfolk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/09 06:28:10 (permalink)

Actually, it turns out that neither of the suggestions actually gave me what I want, because I suspect that I need to do something else in Sonar so that the list of audio clips is correct. It shows that all of the takes I did for one track are currently in use in the project, although only one of those clips is actually used in the track. Is this what the Clean tool does? (I know, I know, rtfm). CWAF does give me the information I wanted, and I can easily massage the saved text file into a format that I can use, but why can't I limit the directories it searches? It even complained when I told it I only wanted one of my drives scanned, and that took a good 20 minutes. At least it didn't try to tell my clip library was completely orphaned...

Deleting atrack or clip fromm the project does not delete that WAV file fromm the Project's Audio Folders. This gives you the opportunity to reimport it back into the project later if you have made a mistake or change your mind, as has indeed been known to happen.

Yes, you're right, Clean Audio Foldedr will finally zap them.

DigitalDesign Speakers
    serauk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/09 06:45:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glazfolk

Deleting atrack or clip fromm the project does not delete that WAV file fromm the Project's Audio Folders. This gives you the opportunity to reimport it back into the project later if you have made a mistake or change your mind, as has indeed been known to happen.

Yes, you're right, Clean Audio Foldedr will finally zap them.

Thanks....

And I'm glad Sonar doesn't really delete the file - its saved me a few times - what bothers me is that the project file still references some of them - I ran the Clean tool and it deleted some files from the project audio folder, but still left others, because for some reason the project still references them - when I look at the properties on each clip actually embedded in a track, I came up with a list of 9 files - the project audio files dialog says I have 80+, so neither the Clean tool or CWAF will allow me to delete them... Any clue as to how I tell the project not to reference audio files that aren't actually being used in the project?

CMWright
    glazfolk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/09 07:55:50 (permalink)
    Strange ... I can think of three possible logical explanations:

1. You're sure you actually deleted the tracks/clips - as opposed to hiding the tracks and/or archiving?
    2. You haven't done File, Save As along the way, saving the file to a new name for backup purposes?
    3. I'm less sure about this one because I never use Autosave (for reasons I won't go into heer) but I wonder if you ahve Autosave on, and if so that might make a difference?

DigitalDesign Speakers
    serauk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/09 08:49:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glazfolk

Strange ... I can think of three possible logical explanations:

1. You're sure you actually deleted the tracks/clips - as opposed to hiding the tracks and/or archiving?
    2. You haven't done File, Save As along the way, saving the file to a new name for backup purposes?
    3. I'm less sure about this one because I never use Autosave (for reasons I won't go into heer) but I wonder if you ahve Autosave on, and if so that might make a difference?

as far as I can recall (or tell), the answer is no to the first two questions. I do use Autosave (although there are times ...), but I don't know if that would make a difference or not... might give that a go...

I poked around just to make sure that there weren't some hidden tracks lying about (you never know), but didn't find any...

I might write Tech Support about how to reconcile the clip references... one way that might work (maybe) is to manually identify the clips I'm really using, then delete the files that aren't being used, open the project, and then tell Sonar to 'skip all' on the find missing files dialog, then save the project. Even if it works (and I'm kind of afraid to try), this seems to me a tedious way of correcting something that (a) shouldn't be happening (in my not so humble opinion) and (b) should have an automated method available in case it did happen.

Thanks

CMWright
    glazfolk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/12 03:27:19 (permalink)
    I poked around just to make sure that there weren't some hidden tracks lying about (you never know), but didn't find any...

serauk ...

No need to poke! In Track View, press "M" to bring bup Track Manager. That will reveal if you have any hidden tracks.
    serauk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/12 07:42:30 (permalink)
    Thanks - did that - also turned layer mode on to make sure I hadn't forgotten some oddball layers - ended emailing tech support and they hit it first try - turns out that the problem was that I had done some editing on the original clips (trimming, splitting, etc) so references to the original as well as the edited clips were hanging about - what they told me to do was select all the audio tracks, and apply trimming - and that did it! so my project went from 450+ MB to just over 27 MB - thanks for your help too... cheers

CMWright
    glazfolk
    RE: list of audio clips 2006/05/12 07:44:54 (permalink)
    Ah yes ... Apply Trimming Glad it's all sorted ...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1