looking for... i don't know what it's called

Author
shawn912
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 136
2008/11/13 18:29:39 (permalink)

looking for... i don't know what it's called

I just upgraded to Vista 64 bit and haven't had any trouble so far with any of my programs except Battery 3, which apparently isn't compatible with Vista and I don't think NI is even planning to do anything about it (I searched their forum and people have been complaining for months about it with no response). Anyway, I don't use Battery 3 for drums tracks so much (I prefer Stylus) but it's nice for adding short wavs (like random noises, voice drops, etc.) to pieces because it has a matrix of cells which correspond to the keys on your keyboard and you can simply load individual (or multiple) wave files into each cell and then edit them all independently in a number of ways and then lay them down on a single track as midi. So I'm looking for something like this but I don't know of any other programs like it or even what they're called if there are such things (I thought they were called samplers, but the samplers i've looked at do way more than this). I don't need sounds or anything, just a plugin that makes editing and laying down these wave files as midi data within Sonar easy. Is there anything like this out there?

5 Replies Related Threads

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: looking for... i don't know what it's called 2008/11/13 20:06:42 (permalink)
    Which version of SONAR do you have? SONAR versions have come with various sample-playback mechanisms... e.g., if you have Session Drummer 2 you should be able to drop your WAV files right on there for simple one-shot playback... SONAR Studio and Producer also comes with something called DropZone, which will do what you want. There is also RXP, Cyclone, and the new Beatscape introduced in S8... So there are a few mechanisms packaged with recent SONAR versions that will do what you want... You can also search kvraudio.com. There are countless free and cheap drum-pad type sample players available, if what Cake provides doesn't float your boat...
    SmokeyJ628
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    RE: looking for... i don't know what it's called 2008/11/15 10:38:54 (permalink)
    This might be a good option. I haven't used it yet, but it appears like it might be a good (FREE) option.

Note that it is a Synthedit creation (if that matters to you):

Tatapoum 4 Drum Sequencer and Sampler

For free, it's probably worth a shot.

--SmokeyJ
    post edited by SmokeyJ628 - 2008/11/15 10:39:31
    shawn912
    RE: looking for... i don't know what it's called 2008/11/15 11:26:12 (permalink)
    That's similar to what I'm looking for but it only has 10 cells. The main thing I like about Battery 3 is it let's you assign a different sample to each key on the keyboard so you can lay down 88 samples on a single track (more than that if you assign multiple samples to each key). It also has some nice fx and a built in wav editor so you can normalize, cut, fade in, fade out, etc. each sample independently. It's pretty useful so I hope I can find something else that does all that.

I have SHS 6 btw so I tried out DropZone, but you can only drop one sample on it at a time--same sample on each key but different pitch.
    shawn912
    RE: looking for... i don't know what it's called 2008/11/15 14:24:40 (permalink)
    I found a work around for anyone else who has this problem. Install Battery 3 normally in Vista 64 bit. You'll get some 'configuring system' message at the end that just hangs indefinitely. Ignore it and reboot. You won't be able to run the program as is but you can replace the .exe file from a succesfull install on a computer running some other OS. (I had a copy on my old computer with XP.) Don't replace anything else, just the .exe file. Seems to be working fine so far. (The only issue I had initially was it would ask to activate it each time I started even though it was already activated. I got around this by creating a new account and reactivating it with the serial number.)
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: looking for... i don't know what it's called 2008/11/17 22:04:15 (permalink)
    shawn, I use Komplete. that has kontakt and battery in..

battery is really aimed as a drum sampler and is more straight forward. kontakt does more BUT you can go deep with that , editing etc.

But you can do that externally in other things.. e.g. audacity / wavosaurus

remember Kontakt is £289... battery is £139 (here in the UK anyway) ... so you'd expect a lot more for your money..

much the same with a hardware sampler... an mpc vs.. a normal rack mount akai.. each is aimed at different things.

dunno about battery 64 bit, but I know they released or are releasing a newer version of Kontakt which is 64 bit.. so maybe battery is coming soon also.

your looking for something like a step sequencer..which is in some of the versions of sonar.. 7 SE/PE onwards I guess. errm there are free things that you can use to route the signal thru but I haven't got the mag that had a list of them here (maybe someone who has the CM special about 100 plugs) can have a look

you can do some quite mad things with beatburner.. try that, it's free
    http://beatburner.co.uk

has a step sequencer also.
    http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
    post edited by Fog - 2008/11/17 22:48:22
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1