luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2010/09/18 08:06:43 (permalink)

luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice

I have a mobile phone dilemma... I could care less about one, probably actually dislike having one, yet need and use one for business.

My last contract expired 6 years ago and I just persist with the arrangement while refreshing phones when I need too.

I have been handed down from a series of vendors as mergers occurred and I am on Verizon... which is a good choice of carrier for my area.

My visitors seem to be able to connect to 3G at my house... on a good day.

I have a great interest in mobile data and I have waited patiently as my buddies have all gotten the latest greatest gadgets.

Now, It's my turn.

I am thinking of getting the top of the line Droid and just going for it.

I am considering the Droid primarily because of the Verizon network.

Otherwise I am totally ignorant of the whole class of consumer choices I might have.

Please don't waste time selling me on a IPhone... I think they seem great... but there is zero coverage at my house... and most of my region... so it's not an option. Some of my downtown friends have them so I do know they are cool and nifty etc.

I am primarily interested in the data connection.

I don't text. I email.

I use the mobile phone as little as I can possibly get away with.

My theory is that spending 1 minute on the phone is like taking 2 minutes off your lifespan... I just don't enjoy it.

Should I just go get the Droid.

Or do you have something better to suggest?

thanks very much,
mike

8 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice 2010/09/18 09:23:19 (permalink)
    OK... I have the droid Eras.... I was in the same situation. On with Alltel, bought out by Verizon. Long time customer with a really rock solid Motorola phone that was close to 6 yrs old, on it's second  battery.  My daughters wanted to upgrade to the Droid, and it was their birthday present...a gift that keeps on giving.... to Verizon every month.  My old phone would not work on the new plan and the Verizon network, so I could pay a fairly large monthy fee to keep the old phone on the new network or upgrade my phone to a droid and the cost was only $10 more.... so I upgraded.

Two weeks later, I was not really liking it, but it has grown on me as I discover what this thing can do.

It has a touch screen... no buttons used for most functions. The 2 buttons on it  are handy for waking up the screen.... the same button puts it to sleep and will end a call... the other one is for initiating a call...and probably a few other things as well. One of them lets you answer an incoming call and the other send the call direct to voice mail.

On the touch screen.... fro me, it is taking some getting used to. I can't count how many times I have redialed the same number in my confusion to attempt to hang up and close the phone screen. I'm getting better.

Apps and DATA.  there are tons of free apps for just about every thing you can imagine. I have Drudge report, and some other news feeds, a few games, and some cool apps, like satellite/space station trackers.....

One app.... that is free is called EasyTether. The basic ET is free, the full version is $10 IIRC...well worth the money. It allows you to connect your phone to a computer and access the internet where ther is no WIFI connection available... like driving down the highway (assuming someone else is driving the car).
    We used this recently while on vacation. It works great. AND... you have your own private connection, unlike some of the open networks that you tend to find in coffeeshops and motels.

If you get this ET app, be sure you have the unlimited data plan or your bill will shock you.

All in all, I like this phone now. I used it the other night to look up some info on the internet at a meeting to provide updated info on a topic.

The GPS apps and the Locate apps, for resturants and stores is very cool...even gives GPS to the location and push another screen button to call them right from the app.

The biggest downside to me right now is battery life. If you shut off the "Network Connection" the Droid still works like a phone everywhere, and you can text...send and receive, but the internet is not available. You can turn it on easily when you need it. Just be sure to turn it off after using it. You always have internet available to you when you are home IF you have a wireless network in your home. set it up once and you're good.
    The "Network ON" function has the phone always connected to the internet, and it will run the battery down pretty fast. If you send and receive lots of email you might want this on. I tend to turn it one several times a day to check email. I now run the Droid off the network unless there is a specific reason to be online.....I can easily make it through the day and still have about 70% battery at teh end of the day. If I make a number of phone calls that will also eat up the battery.... I think it says about 1.5 hrs of talk on a charge.  So, if you talk a lot, get a car charger. I nede to be available but don't generally talk a lot.

Camera is cool.... I can shoot a pic and in 60 seconds have it on FB. Video also.

Screen rotates depending on how you hold it. Texting is easy when it's sideways since the letters are larger, and it anticipates the words for you.

Go play with one at the local store.

I generally do not recommend buying the insurance on  electronics, but in the case of an $800 phone (that was the list price back then) I would say yes. Screen cracks, drops, and other things are covered. My daughter's Droid died from a software/hardware issue... it was covered by warrantee.. no problems, new phone in 15 minutes and we were headed back home.

that's my review.

One more thing: I also bought the soft rubber case for it... to cushion drops, and it makes the phone "sticky" in my hands ...easier to hold on to, and when I put into my old phone case, it "grabs" the material so it doesn't slide out and get lost.

Another cool phone app...free too... Find my Droid... get it.
    Loose your phone.... grab another smart phone, text a number to your droid and the phone rings on it's loudest setting for a number of minutes, allowing you to find it in the recliner......

somebody stole it? text it a different number and it sends you a GPS map of where it is at that very moment.... and I think it remains quiet on the other end.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/09/18 09:33:51

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice 2010/09/18 09:57:52 (permalink)
    Thanks a LOT that was helpful.

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    Re:luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice 2010/09/18 13:20:15 (permalink)
    glad to be of service

BMI/NSAI

einstein36
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 511
    Re:luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice 2010/09/18 14:02:18 (permalink)
    definitely get a droid phone..I think they are the Iphone killers....I got the HTC incredible and it is incredible....
    I too am on verizon and love them...
    but something else, make sure the phone you do get has the latest update to the droid...2.2
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice 2010/09/20 09:32:00 (permalink)
    Yes, I went to the store yesterday after reading up and was very surprised to learn that the phone I wanted was running 2.1 and waiting for the 2.2 update. I was lucky to try the Droid 2 first and it's v2.2 software was smooth and I was dumb enough to take the fact that it loaded flash for granted.

Then I tried the Droid X which is on 2.1 and the website I was testing with would not even load. DEAL KILLER!

When I got home I read up and learned that the two v2.2 phones I tried are cutting edge... I just thought the features were normal. :-)

The Samsung and HTC look good.

I am waiting for the Droid X to go v2.2.

The IPhone still has them all beat with the Hi res screen... which I envy... but it just not an option for me.

Thanks!

best regards,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/09/20 09:33:20

Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re:luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice 2010/09/20 13:17:34 (permalink)

Please don't waste time selling me on a IPhone... I think they seem great... but there is zero coverage at my house... and most of my region... so it's not an option. Some of my downtown friends have them so I do know they are cool and nifty etc.

You MUST be in that 3 percent area that ATT doesn't cover /Sarcasm OFF

seriously, there is limited 3G coverage from ATT on the University Campus here and customer service is no help . When my Iphone contract expires in another 14 months im throwing it away and seeking another vendor..

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Guitarhacker
    Re:luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice 2010/09/20 14:33:02 (permalink)
    In the alarm business.... monitoring is moving from phone lines (the old faithful) to the new internet and wireless networks. Wireless and Internet is faster...... but... in this area, before I install or even quote a wireless connection, it is necessary for me to look up the customer's address on the ATT datanetwork to see if they have good coverage, mediocre coverage which means they need an outside antenna, or poor to no coverage.

Here at my house.... my droid/verizon phone has poor performance in the house. I ended up having to buy a "Network Extended" from Verizon. It plugs into my internet router, connects to the Verizon servers, and sets up a "mini cell tower" in my home. At least I can set on my couch now and talk on the cell. It handles (IIRC) 3 verizon cell phones on a call, at a time. It works pretty good. As long as I have 4 blue lights on it, everything is cool.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/09/20 14:34:15

BMI/NSAI

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:luddite wants a Droid... seeking sophiticated shopping advice 2010/09/20 19:00:58 (permalink)
    Hi,

Mike ... remember one important thing ... NEVER worry about the connection speed ... it won't make any difference if the pipe that it is going through is too small and over used! ... the speed makes it look like a better service, but in the end it isn't ... the "width" of each connection still causes issues ... and that is called "bandwidth".

If there are 1k connections going through a pipe that is 1/10 of an inch big, you still have to fit those connections ... if the pipe is 2/10ths of an inch big (that is bigger than the previous one) there will be some room for that data ... and so on ... the speed means that it will get through it faster, but if there are 1k signals in there ... you still have an issue!

I'm with you and generally I don't think that a lot of those things are as good as they seem. But I have to tell you that I do not see myself getting an iAnything in the future soon ... I can't afford it!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1