2017/11/01 16:59:43
sharke
Here's a blast from the past I haven't heard in decades - Ghosts by Japan. Amazing that this reached no.5 in the UK charts in 1982 - you don't hear anything this inventive or quirky in the charts these days. It's a fantastic piece of 80's synth pop, and all of those bell-like FM sounds work surprisingly well with the vocal. Nicely mixed too - the young EDM crowd could learn a lot from listening to how synths were mixed back in those days. 

2017/11/01 17:01:55
jamesg1213
I love that track, and Nightporter, really atmospheric. Oil on Canvas is one of my favourite live albums.
2017/11/01 17:58:16
craigb
That whole album (Exorcising Ghosts) is good.  Or, as a friend of mine used to call it, "Exercising Ghosts" - LOL.
2017/11/05 13:25:17
pwalpwal
here's some clinic

2017/11/06 07:13:51
craigb

Good job Andy!  Sounds like old Tangerine Dream with guest musician Brian Eno! 
2017/11/06 10:28:36
synkrotron
craigb

Ha! Thanks Craig! You been checking out some of my stuff then haha!

I had fun with that one, playing with Reaktor 6 which I had only just purchased...

Anyway! Back to some proper music heh! 

2017/11/06 14:52:05
Mesh
Lol

2017/11/06 15:54:18
synkrotron
That's better Mesh
2017/11/06 19:51:06
craigb
synkrotron
craigb

Ha! Thanks Craig! You been checking out some of my stuff then haha!

I had fun with that one, playing with Reaktor 6 which I had only just purchased...

Anyway! Back to some proper music heh! 

Eventually, when I a) get my guitars back and b) have enough extra money to buy more toys, I intend to create some fun synth background textures that I can noodle over with a nice, over-saturated, creamy, gooey, guitar sound. 

It sounds like software-based synths have come a long way since I last looked at them (12+ years ago!).  I used to have hardware-based synths back then.  Now, I think a nice balance of both is probably the way to go.

2017/11/06 20:09:40
Moshkito
sharke
Here's a blast from the past I haven't heard in decades - Ghosts by Japan. Amazing that this reached no.5 in the UK charts in 1982 - you don't hear anything this inventive or quirky in the charts these days. It's a fantastic piece of 80's synth pop, and all of those bell-like FM sounds work surprisingly well with the vocal. Nicely mixed too - the young EDM crowd could learn a lot from listening to how synths were mixed back in those days. 

Mick Karn went solo, David Sylvan put out some awesome ambient stuff and Richard Barbieri ... went to Porcupine Tree ... and his keyboard work was always really good all around.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account