2017/12/05 16:00:50
Moshkito
Glyn Barnes
Here is another septuagenarian, Dave Cousins with track form the new Strawbs album "The Ferryman's Curse" 

Sort of "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus" meets "Hero and Heroine".

I still have a tremendous enjoyment for "Hero and Heroine", "Ghosts", and "Deadlines" ... and am capable of listening to these back to back and not get bored. 

"The Nails from the Hands of Christ" is very nice, though I miss the hard punch of the earlier material ... but the lyrics are priceless ... and a really harsh look at the emptiness of a lot of kids in their blind faith ... something that many of us went through. Only playing it right now for the 20th time or so!

(bits and pieces of the lyrics)

... played albums every day ...
... young man on the cross ...
... looked like Springsteen ...
... could have been the boss ...
... her windows in the chapel ...
... some kind of a ruse ...
... the ancient smell of incense ...
... was heading up her nose ...
... competitively priced ...

Still a very nice thing to hear and a very nice treat.

PS: One really tough thing to do ... I can not review Dave Cousins' book ... it's really not about his music and its art, as much as it is about his radio career and how he had to abandon his band several times to go back to work. Maybe I just don't seem to enjoy the book as much as I thought I might when considering all the music and albums ... and will have to read it again! On the other board, there even was a large discussion about radio (FM specially!) and the main difference between America and England ... with one person not believing that things were much freer on radio in America in a time like 1972 and 1973 on FM radio, that at the time was not thought to be a threat to radio control like AM had for advertising and such. It wasn't until 1976 or 1977 that FM radio in America started getting commercialized with all the individual stations bought by corporate America to create the multimedia networks of today.
2017/12/08 19:20:19
Glyn Barnes
I came into the living room this morning BBC Radio 2 was on and Ken Bruce was playing a Christmassy ditty that immediately caught my ear.
Chris Squire and Alan White - "Run With the Fox" Something I had never heard before.

Looks like its no longer available

2017/12/08 19:24:57
jamesg1213
He plays that every year, one of my favourite prog Xmas tunes. I did text the show about the BBT Xmas song but I doubt he'll play it. The 'B-Side' (how quaint!) 'Snowfall' is the better song, for me.
2017/12/08 19:45:32
Glyn Barnes
jamesg1213
He plays that every year, one of my favourite prog Xmas tunes. I did text the show about the BBT Xmas song but I doubt he'll play it. The 'B-Side' (how quaint!) 'Snowfall' is the better song, for me.

Just downloaded the BBT tracks it from Bandcamp, I will be giving them a good listen later.

2017/12/08 20:23:19
craigb
Got SIX more emails from BBT this morning!  *Sheesh!*  Ok, ok!  I KNOW you have new songs out!!! 
2017/12/08 20:40:56
Glyn Barnes
craigb
Got SIX more emails from BBT this morning!  *Sheesh!*  Ok, ok!  I KNOW you have new songs out!!! 

I got a couple from the bands mailing list when the video cam out and two from Bandcamp this morning, but that's it so far. Two from band camp as the two songs are listed separately, not as a package.
2017/12/08 22:20:43
craigb
Hey Maurice!  Where's my tab of acid to go with that album?  

#mustteachspace_cowboytoimbedvideolink
2017/12/12 01:04:12
sharke
I love the Late Night Tales album series where artists compile collections of their favorite tracks. I've discovered so much fantastic music from these. Today I came across the Nils Frahm one, and it's full of truly lovely mellow music. There's a sampler track of it here on Soundcloud along with a track listing:

https://soundcloud.com/la...ls-frahm-album-sampler

The full Nils Frahm Late Night Tales is on Spotify. 
2017/12/12 06:33:16
craigb
Speaking of Christmas Prog...  Here are my friends doing a cover of TSO (from 2009):

http://www.nwdreamer.com/download/gi_tso.mov

Still love this one! 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account