2015/11/22 02:03:21
Moshkito
BobF
One of the few covers I really like.  Grace rocks

Goodness ... a Fender Bass playing that? ... my ears are out of tune!
2015/11/22 02:09:49
Moshkito
Mesh
While surfing Youtube, I ran into this band.....they do pirate metal.....lol......(you have to listen to the whole song.......great bar theme song).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55CqLc6IR0

Goodness ... these guys gonna give metal bad name!

Enjoyable!
2015/11/22 02:29:54
Moshkito
jamesg1213
Saw a great concert in Perth on Saturday, Dougie MacLean was hosting and played this beautiful song. Here's a lovely version by Cara Dillon.

Hi,
This is great. Lovely to see what a voice can do that actors/singers from the "wave my hands like an idiot" school, can not do.

Excellent. Rock music should learn from this someday! That guy in YES should be the first in line!
2015/11/22 02:33:59
Moshkito
jamesg1213
Here's one of those 'boring' 'rock' 'songs'. Love it.

Is this band opening for "The Allman Brothers Band"? Very enjoyable ... 
2015/11/22 02:45:14
Moshkito
sharke
Great demonstration of the crossover between DJ and producer, and the skill and musical judgment at work in something which people often just dismiss as punching buttons and twiddling knobs. Anyone who's enjoyed clubbing and/or raving will understand just how much a good DJ can influence your mood, and this guy has it, what an artist.

And from Berlin? The home and only "house" of so much electronic music ... you just about have to expect that ... but (honestly) ... this is my biggest complaint in rock music ... not using the synthesizer as an instrument on its own, and using it as a replacement instrument in the song that is being done. 

Those fat sounds, owe a lot to Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, and so many others out there, it's not funny. 

Weird ... in two of the novels I have written, one of the "scenes" was a huge evening, and the music was "live", for over an hour plus. I wrote it as a compliment to Schulze, TD and such, but in the end, it was an ode to all of them ... non stop and unafraid of the instrument ... and capable of stretching it and using what it gives you if it surprises you.

This, to me, is the "subtlety" that is missing in rock music!
2015/11/22 08:56:04
jamesg1213
As it's Sunday..

this is my biggest complaint in rock music ... not using the synthesizer as an instrument on its own, and using it as a replacement instrument in the song that is being done. 

Always liked Billy Currie's synth sounds in Ultravox, very distinctive.
2015/11/22 10:48:32
sharke
Moshkito
sharke
Great demonstration of the crossover between DJ and producer, and the skill and musical judgment at work in something which people often just dismiss as punching buttons and twiddling knobs. Anyone who's enjoyed clubbing and/or raving will understand just how much a good DJ can influence your mood, and this guy has it, what an artist.

And from Berlin? The home and only "house" of so much electronic music ...

Berlin has always been a big center for electronic music. But it's not the only one by any means. You've had New York, Detroit, Chicago etc. 
2015/11/22 19:26:25
sharke
Gorgeous mix, beautifully sparse arrangement and one of those perfectly recorded vocal performances that you feel like you can just reach out and touch. 

2015/11/23 08:36:40
Moshkito
sharke
Moshkito

And from Berlin? The home and only "house" of so much electronic music ...

Berlin has always been a big center for electronic music. But it's not the only one by any means. You've had New York, Detroit, Chicago etc. 

Way back when Berlin had some amazing instructors in their music schools. Many of them became well known electronic composers (Stockhausen, Housemann --spelling), and people that in many ways were more "music philosophers" than they were musicians themselves, but what came out of their is an insane scene, that is still ALIVE ... as opposed to the other cities in America, where the commercial side of it all has hurt the experimental side of things, and you end up having a music school, like Berklee that can only teach the 4/4 and a jazz touch or 2, instead of concentrating on experimental and possible musics.

Chicago, SF and LA, are almost a dead end, both too enthused and controlled by "big name" this or that. Steve Roach came by here ... and only 250 people showed up ... and that ought to tell you how much people know about some other stuff than the top ten. 

This is where my distaste for top ten and average sounding music comes from!

And so you know ... I have electronic stuff going as far back as "The Forbidden Planet" soundtrack, George Harrison, Beaver and Krause, Tonto, Labat ... and there were some outstanding thins ... but there would be way more, if it were not for the sick side of radio and commercial attitudes here. 

In Europe, with thousands of years of history in the arts ... the appreciation for CREATIVE and new expressions is more valuable than it will ever be in New York. Read Patti Smith's book ... (For Kids) to get a better idea ... Berlin, at least, kept it up and was still going strong, and I knew that the club scene was very live and good in Paris and Germany ... but the issue was that none of that is recorded or sold ... and thus, you miss on finding out about it. Clubs with live music like the one you saw are almost the standard ... and it's not just a beat and a guy playing 5 chords on his guitar!
2015/11/23 13:34:01
craigb
Moshkito
Way back when Berlin had some amazing instructors in their music schools. Many of them became well known electronic composers (Stockhausen, Housemann --spelling), 

Hmm, never heard of Spelling, is he any good? 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account