2015/10/30 22:39:22
Leadfoot
Thanks Mesh! I'll post it in the songs forum when I'm done.
2015/10/30 23:31:07
craigb
Didn't they cover some of Vivaldi's work?  The Four Seasonings? 
2015/10/31 00:27:50
Rain
Leadfoot
I've been listening to quite a bit of Simon and Garfunkel lately. In fact, I've started working on a cover of Scarborough Fair/Canticle. I hope I didn't just embarrass myself.

Scarborough Fair is one of the few songs I remember from my days of studying classical guitar. As a matter of fact, I played it for the first time in ages earlier this week, on the semi-hollow (I don't own any acoustic at the moment).

Being plugged into the POD HD and playing through a surf type of patch, I ended up "enhancing" certain parts with the Bigsby and, eventually, mashing the whole thing with Del Shannon's Runaway. Fun times. :P
2015/10/31 02:31:14
sharke
I keep coming back to this Aphex Twin tune off his recent Syro album, which I'd overlooked until now. It appeals to my love of fat analog synth bass, creamy pads, crunchy beats, jazzy chords and that dark, uneasy atmosphere which Richard James has off to a tee. 

Recently I came across these dudes, Brandt Brauer Frick, a Berlin based trio who play techno-inspired grooves but with real instruments and a nicely skewed sense of harmony. Well worth a listen to.

I've been hearing this one a lot played in Starbucks and it grew on me, turns out it's the Unknown Mortal Orchestra. I have no idea if it's in the charts or not because I don't follow that sort of thing. Anyway it's a nice tune with a crunchy production and I like it. 

I looked into the band on Spotify and was pleasantly surprised, some of their stuff has a lo-fi late 60's feel, almost like The Mothers....

2015/10/31 02:38:01
sharke
Leadfoot
I've been listening to quite a bit of Simon and Garfunkel lately. In fact, I've started working on a cover of Scarborough Fair/Canticle. I hope I didn't just embarrass myself.

Have you heard the original? By which I mean the version which Martin Carthy originally recorded, ripped off by Paul Simon not long afterwards? I don't think the two have spoken since....anyway I used to prefer the S&G version but eventually came round to liking the original better. It has a very no-frills, honest, folk beauty to it. Martin Carthy is definitely one of the best acoustic guitarists of the last 50 years, well worth checking out. 

EDIT: I was unaware, but the two patched up their differences some years ago. 
http://www.telegraph.co.u...n-with-Paul-Simon.html
2015/10/31 06:37:06
Leadfoot
sharke
Leadfoot

Have you heard the original? By which I mean the version which Martin Carthy originally recorded, ripped off by Paul Simon not long afterwards? I don't think the two have spoken since....anyway I used to prefer the S&G version but eventually came round to liking the original better. It has a very no-frills, honest, folk beauty to it. Martin Carthy is definitely one of the best acoustic guitarists of the last 50 years, well worth checking out. 

EDIT: I was unaware, but the two patched up their differences some years ago. 
http://www.telegraph.co.u...n-with-Paul-Simon.html

Yeah, I've heard his version. I like it too. Apparently Paul paid restitution years later, but Martin's agent (I think) ran off with it, and Martin never got a dime.
2015/10/31 07:12:06
BobF
Leadfoot

That's interesting, LF.  I've had a back-burner Scarborough Fair cover project going for a couple of years.  Please don't post yours until I've at least committed to the overall style of mine!! 
2015/10/31 07:30:19
craigb

2015/10/31 11:25:55
Moshkito
craigb

Hmmm ... now you're starting to look like a bad Tim Burton impression. Let's try Tarantino next time?
2015/10/31 11:54:52
Leadfoot
BobF
Leadfoot

That's interesting, LF.  I've had a back-burner Scarborough Fair cover project going for a couple of years.  Please don't post yours until I've at least committed to the overall style of mine!! 

I'll at least give you plenty of warning! Actually, I was going to attempt a fairly authentic cover of it, but I don't know if I have the patience to replicate the harpsichord part.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account