2016/07/25 16:46:47
Glyn Barnes
I must investigate. So much music, so little time.
2016/07/25 16:56:00
craigb
No kidding!  What's making it tough for me is that I'm also trying to learn a lot of new things using video tutorials so the music gets paused for those then, when I'm back to doing some work or taking a break, the music is back on.
2016/07/25 18:32:39
eph221
craigb
So many choices!  Not sure which direction I want to go in today!  I still haven't had that Larry Coryell day, and I need to have some time of metal day soon (maybe something different like Lacrimosa?).  Now Glyn's got me thinking about some Mostly Autumn and Panic Room (possibly followed by some Big Big Train)...

Decisions, decisions! 

I like listening to Tal Farlow.  I've never *understood* his playing.  It's radically foreign to me, so I can relax and enjoy it for what it is.  Now, I don't understand Joe Pass much either, but for some reason he makes me up tight.  Joe Pass is like noodle, noodle, blues scale, noodle, noodle.  no?  Tal Farlow is at least understandable if I HAD to think about it ex post facto.  Never theless they both are/were very unique.  Larry Coryell is kinda poly anna for me.
2016/07/25 18:36:06
BobF

2016/07/25 18:40:38
craigb
I prefer Tal Wilkenfeld. 
2016/07/25 19:11:41
BobF
I'll bring KT and we'll call it a double date

2016/07/25 19:24:05
craigb
BobF
I'll bring KT and we'll call it a double date

I don't know...  Doesn't look like she wants any help with anything! 
2016/07/25 21:33:43
sharke
eph221
craigb
So many choices!  Not sure which direction I want to go in today!  I still haven't had that Larry Coryell day, and I need to have some time of metal day soon (maybe something different like Lacrimosa?).  Now Glyn's got me thinking about some Mostly Autumn and Panic Room (possibly followed by some Big Big Train)...

Decisions, decisions! 

I like listening to Tal Farlow.  I've never *understood* his playing.  It's radically foreign to me, so I can relax and enjoy it for what it is.  Now, I don't understand Joe Pass much either, but for some reason he makes me up tight.  Joe Pass is like noodle, noodle, blues scale, noodle, noodle.  no?  Tal Farlow is at least understandable if I HAD to think about it ex post facto.  Never theless they both are/were very unique.  Larry Coryell is kinda poly anna for me.

I like what Larry Coryell plays but I was never a big fan of his tone. It always sounded to me like he used light gauge strings - I have no idea what gauge he used but that's the impression I got from his sound. For anything jazz related I like a nice fat, meaty tone. 

I think one of my favorite jazz guitarists has to be Jim Hall. I wore out two copies of The Train And The River on tape years ago through listening to them obsessively. Love his playing on that. 
2016/07/25 21:37:44
sharke
This is another of my all time favorite jazz guitar pieces - Kay's Fantasy by George Van Eps, the absolute master of jazz guitar chord-melody style. This guy's playing was almost inhuman. 

2016/07/25 21:42:27
sharke
All my fave jazz guitarists are coming back to me now....Teddy Bunn was another one, very underrated. His solo on this is foot stompin' brilliant. He had an unmatched feel. 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account