2016/08/28 12:15:53
sharke
Here's a rip roaringly cracking bit of African tinged soul, love the interaction between the horns and the bass

2016/08/28 14:27:45
craigb
Bwomp bwa bwa bwa ...  Heh, that wah bass is cracking me up.  Never heard of them before but it sounds interesting!
2016/08/29 21:16:36
outland144k

2016/08/29 21:21:29
outland144k
Perhaps the single most seriously amazing synthesizer solo ever (really)....

2016/08/29 21:53:20
craigb
Snarky Puppy is amazing but I'd sure hate to have to pay everyone in the band! LOL.
2016/08/29 22:11:23
outland144k
craigb
Snarky Puppy is amazing but I'd sure hate to have to pay everyone in the band! LOL.

Most of the time, when they play smaller venues, I think they take, like, six members. That's not so bad. 
2016/08/29 22:19:33
sharke
outland144k

I have to say, up until the keyboard solo, I wasn't blown away. To be honest, I've heard better jazz funk and it sounded a little too polished for my tastes (I like a bit of rough). Having said that, I do agree that that keyboard solo is probably one of the best I have ever heard. That guy just killed with his musical taste and technique. 
2016/08/29 22:27:53
outland144k
sharke
outland144k

I have to say, up until the keyboard solo, I wasn't blown away. To be honest, I've heard better jazz funk and it sounded a little too polished for my tastes (I like a bit of rough). Having said that, I do agree that that keyboard solo is probably one of the best I have ever heard. That guy just killed with his musical taste and technique. 

As a horn player, I appreciate the tightness, but I know what you're saying; it is almost antiseptic. And the other two solos (tenor and trumpet) aren't that amazing. They're okay, but not great. The synth player, though, is astounding. The drummer is also absolutely wild as and backs up the solo so well. And I love the writing.

BTW, the synth player's name is Cory Henry.
2016/08/30 00:12:31
sharke
outland144k
sharke
outland144k

As a horn player, I appreciate the tightness, but I know what you're saying; it is almost antiseptic. And the other two solos (tenor and trumpet) aren't that amazing. They're okay, but not great. The synth player, though, is astounding. The drummer is also absolutely wild as and backs up the solo so well. And I love the writing.

Yeah I looked him up. I grew up in a 70's household awash with stuff like the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Chick Corea, that sort of thing, and I have a real appreciation for the feel of the jazz funk/fusion of that period. The whole attitude and "outsideness" of it all. When I hear young players playing that kind of music today I always think that yeah they have the technique and the theory but it just doesn't have that attitude. I always like to put it down to modern musicians not smoking enough weed, lol, but I know it's not as simple as that. This Cory Henry, however, has it DOWN! The whole atttiude. He would have kicked up a storm in the 70's and would have felt quite at home playing with the likes of Stanley Clarke and John McLaughlin. 
2016/08/30 01:04:08
outland144k
sharke
outland144k
sharke
outland144k

Yeah I looked him up. I grew up in a 70's household awash with stuff like the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Chick Corea, that sort of thing, and I have a real appreciation for the feel of the jazz funk/fusion of that period. The whole attitude and "outsideness" of it all. When I hear young players playing that kind of music today I always think that yeah they have the technique and the theory but it just doesn't have that attitude. I always like to put it down to modern musicians not smoking enough weed, lol, but I know it's not as simple as that. This Cory Henry, however, has it DOWN! The whole atttiude. He would have kicked up a storm in the 70's and would have felt quite at home playing with the likes of Stanley Clarke and John McLaughlin. 

I agree with you. They often have the "clean thing" down, but come across as soulless. It's very sad to say, but on Quora, someone asked me to answer a question about which young saxophonists I thought were important. I couldn't answer. I haven't heard anyone that inspires me. Michael Brecker was the last major sax player I found scary (RIP), and I enjoy Kenny Garrett (but he's hardly young) and Dave Liebman (also not young), but outside of those guys and some other older players, that's it. No one much under fifty or sixty is really playing. I can take consolation in that it's actually worse for trumpet players. I can't even tell you who's added anything to their tradition since before the seventies. Maybe Tim Hagans is pushing the issue a bit. It always seems that I can pretty much predict how a solo is going to develop and I really hate that. It's like everyone is codifying what went before and no one takes any chances. Without chances, there is no innovation. And without innovation, jazz is a museum piece at best.

I guess the Smithsonian should be happy.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account