2017/05/02 14:41:55
Glyn Barnes
jamesg1213

Nice. I have only had chance to play the album a couple of times but it’s certainly a good one. I like the way they are bringing Rachel Hall's violin and cello to the fore.
2017/05/02 14:47:12
Glyn Barnes
Along with BBT's Grimspound my other new album this week was "We are Legend"

Here is an a bit of the long track "Trojan".
[tube]http://youtu.be/oWaJuQcN_aU[/tube]

Arragh -- why can I never get the Youtube enbeding to work properly, here is a link.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWaJuQcN_aU

2017/05/02 15:13:36
Moshkito
jamesg1213
craigb
Well music is only about notes and chords, right? 

Nah, you don't need notes and chords to make music, any more than you need to learn how to spell to write poetry, or learn the script when you're an actor.

The script has to be known at some point. Most actors have a really rough time with stuff that has no script and in open rehearsals, with experimentation, many of them simply repeat what they have done and know, instead of paying attention to the details around them, and using those to add/subtract to something that they already do and know.

The hardest theater/film to watch is the one that has no script and the actors are hurting for things to do and say ... Mike Leigh is well known for this, and some of the actors that work for him, are some of the best in experimental and free form exercises ... it's not an easy thing to do, but if you have a slight conceptual idea of what you are doing, it generally will help carry you a while before you can jump off on your own.

The main problem with popular music, is that it is composed almost to death ... and the moments where it could be free, are often not used or added, to create a 3rd dimension on the work itself, thus leaving the piece of music ... kind of like ... just a pop song, if you will. And of course, when you listen to many of the examples here, they all feature the exact same thing ... just a different sounding instrument.

But do not forget that some material is all free form from the start and does not feature a script per se ... try watching a Jean Luc Godard film ... you probably won't get past 15 minutes, most of the time, because he is so off his rocker and all over the place, that you can not figure out a rhyme, a reason, a film, a script, or anything else ... and then he gives you one of those 15 second philosophical comments over the scene itself, on a cup of coffee, and you go ... what?

So, when I say that music needs to be more than just music and chords, it means that not everything has to be in there in the right order so it fits a song format! Or as Godard used to say, everything has a beginning, middle and an end ... not necessarily in that order or shape!

Go ahead. Write another song, just like the last one!
2017/05/02 16:47:50
craigb

Here ya go Glyn!

The trick is to type the tube tags first, then paste the shared link in-between and, finally, remove the "s" from "https" and you're good to go.  If you accidentally hit a return or something and the link turns blue, delete and start over.
2017/05/02 16:49:20
craigb

Couldn't help it.

(Going from Magenta Trojan to Trojan Blue that is!). 
2017/05/02 17:24:55
jamesg1213
craigb

Couldn't help it.

(Going from Magenta Trojan to Trojan Blue that is!). 

I love that album, 'Great Southern Land' was my favourite.

Been listening to some Nad Sylvan lately..

2017/05/02 17:30:39
craigb
Did you get the new BBT yet James?  Since I pre-ordered it, I was able to download right away.  It's pretty nice!
2017/05/02 17:35:09
jamesg1213
Arrived today Craig! Going to get the headphones on, pour a glass of wine and immerse myself in it (the music...not the wine..)
2017/05/02 17:38:58
craigb
jamesg1213

Been listening to some Nad Sylvan lately..

Noice!  Had me looking to see if I already had it until I realized it isn't out yet.  I believe I only have Courting the Widow from him.

I need more money!  LOL.
2017/05/02 19:48:06
craigb
*Sheesh!*  Glyn's Magenta link led me into Axel Rudi Pell then that led to Kobra and the Lotus!

Fun day today for me with music! 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account