• SONAR
  • File not compatible with this version of Sonar?!
2007/08/09 17:25:02
ghost1972
This is ridiculous. I just lost several hours of work, because I relied on Sonar's broken autosave system and now have my original project, which has like three tracks and a corrupted autosave file with like 20 tracks. It is absolutely unconscionable that an application like Sonar should STILL be corrupting saves after all these years (since version 3, to my knowledge). I had gotten in the habit of saving every few minutes with different filenames (you know, like Autosave is supposed to do), but that gets old fast. If you don't do it though, you run the risk of losing everything because Sonar dies and decides to kill your file with it. Unbelievable. Meanwhile, I've never seen a single reply from Cakewalk that this issue has a cause, a fix or even a decent explanation. And people wonder why Sonar is still considered a semi-pro application.
2007/08/09 17:33:28
CJaysMusic
Never use auto save, just press save everytime you make a important change. It takes only a blink to click save every now and then after a change. I juwst dont see what your complaining about. Why would you change the project name every few minutes, thats insane man. I know its good to have different versions, but thats overkill. Just click save (it only takes 1 sec) after important changes.
I(ve been doing it for a year now with no problems, no corrupted files, and no data loss.
Sorry for your loss, but you need to work out a system without depending on autosave. Just click save
Cj
2007/08/09 17:37:41
buckybeen
I absolutely agree with CJ. Clicking Save becomes a habit, and I've never suffered what you're dealing with.
2007/08/09 17:56:09
ghost1972
You "just don't see what I am complaining about," yet you state "Never use autosave," as if I was trying to do something so crazy by using a documented feature of the program. And the reason I save under different file names (usually just a number sequence after the filename) is because of the fact that Sonar corrupts files. If I don't do this, I run the risk of the "file not compatible" error. I am not the only one having this problem, either; just search the forums, it's been going on for years, across multiple versions of Sonar.

I am glad you are having no problems with your workaround, but it doesn't work for me and it is very frustrating to be told how many seconds it takes to click Save, especially right after losing hours of work.
2007/08/09 18:04:40
CJaysMusic
Your way off base, Proove that sonar corrupts your files. Yourt pc configuration or what ever may be corrupting you files, but show me the proof. I never has sonar corrupt any files. I was just telling you my opinion. It wasnt a lecture. You just cant go out and blame something with out showing proof. I would take a really hard look at your file managment configuration and take a step back.

Cj
2007/08/09 18:26:31
ghost1972
I'm way off base, huh? Well, then why don't tell me why you suggested never using auto-save? Could it be because Sonar corrupts files if auto-save is used? Nah, that couldn't be it, right?

And if taking a "hard look at my file management configuration" means clicking save (it only takes 1 second!) then I'll pass on your suggestion.

Thanks, but you're really not helping anything by denying that a documented problem exists. Again, I am happy for you that you have never had this problem, but trust me, others do and "clicking save" is NOT a valid solution (nor do I need to prove anything to you - search for "not compatible with this version" and you'll see many others with the problem). Either Cake needs to get rid of the autosave function or they need to fix it, but ignoring program features is not a solution.
2007/08/09 19:02:29
CJaysMusic
I'm way off base, huh? Well, then why don't tell me why you suggested never using auto-save? Could it be because Sonar corrupts files if auto-save is used? Nah, that couldn't be it, right?

Thats not the case at all, auto save uses CPU, Cpu that i would rather have for my projects. Alsdo i dont use auto save because i just CLICK SAVE everytine i make an important change. It take a fraction of a sec. to click save. I do not want an auto matic save telling me when to save. I save when i want to. THats why i dont use that auto save.
Cj
2007/08/09 19:29:37
John
Thats not the case at all, auto save uses CPU, Cpu that i would rather have for my projects. Alsdo i dont use auto save because i just CLICK SAVE everytine i make an important change. It take a fraction of a sec. to click save. I do not want an auto matic save telling me when to save. I save when i want to. THats why i dont use that auto save. Cj

I work the very same way and for much the same reasons. Now I don't hit save I mostly use save as. I would like CW to add a button for that.

It is may way of having an undo.

Best
John

2007/08/09 20:09:06
Lay In Wait

ORIGINAL: John

Thats not the case at all, auto save uses CPU, Cpu that i would rather have for my projects. Alsdo i dont use auto save because i just CLICK SAVE everytine i make an important change. It take a fraction of a sec. to click save. I do not want an auto matic save telling me when to save. I save when i want to. THats why i dont use that auto save. Cj

I work the very same way and for much the same reasons. Now I don't hit save I mostly use save as. I would like CW to add a button for that.

It is may way of having an undo.

Best
John

Me too. I have used autosave in the past and had no corrupting of files as the op states. I stopped using autosave because I ended up with all these autosave copies I really didnt need anymore because I became religious about saving as I go (as CJ has said) As well I back up to another drive after I close the song and before I open another, especially when working with bands. A keyboard shortcut does this make this effortless. Sorry to hear about yer probs there ghost.
2007/08/09 20:16:20
CJaysMusic
Yep, you can set a keybind for save and save as, Mine is S for save and ctlS for save as.
Cj
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account