• SONAR
  • XP services that can be safely turned off (p.2)
2007/12/11 17:06:27
Jose7822

ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik

Also turn everything off in the start-up menu (Run - msconfig - start up tab)

Be carefull about this though. You do want some things enabled here just make sure you know what they do.

Take care!
2007/12/11 19:34:30
Rbh
The single most important is the back ground services tweak. There are general configurations that were critical when dealing with the p3 1 to 2 gig speed processors and underpowered graphics drivers. Some are general house keeping sort of things. It's always good to make only the modifications neccessary so that you don't cut something critical out from under XP. It'll basically let you know what that is, if it's able.
2007/12/11 19:49:06
Oaf_Topik
Be carefull about this though. You do want some things enabled here just make sure you know what they do.

You really don't need anything running on start up, if you're only using your computer to record.

Maybe Battery Backup software, if you want your system to be backed up when your not there, but not necessary if you are in front of your DAW.

If you use the computer for the Internet you might want Virus Protection software running, but you could always enable/disable that manually.

I have nothing in my start up folder and my machine works great.
2007/12/11 20:29:06
tdye
I use a product called "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" which I purchased at www.AnswersThatWork.com. I have found it to be really useful in cleaning up my PC and fine-tuning it. It is easy to use and easy to understand. They have a demo version so you can check it out without buying it. Although its cheep at only $29.95 (US Dollars) for a single license.
2007/12/12 03:48:45
ChristopherM

In fact, most start-up items run from places other than the Start Up folder - mainly, registry entries are used. MSCONFIG is the best tool to use to see what is starting up and it can also be used selectively to disable any item.
2007/12/12 12:03:16
Jose7822

ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik

That's because you don't have a Fireface and Total Mix, nor an Alpha Track. They all run in the background while I'm using Sonar and they are all needed for DAW work .

Take care!
2007/12/12 12:56:14
Oaf_Topik
That's because you don't have a Fireface and Total Mix, nor an Alpha Track. They all run in the background while I'm using Sonar and they are all needed for DAW work .

Live and learn.
2007/12/12 13:17:09
epillarbox
ORIGINAL: Houndawg

See this article by Martin Walker from Sound On Sound, especially the last two paragraphs.

XP Tweaks For Music

Interesting. I also spotted this bit which was news to me:

Change Processor Scheduling to 'Background Services'

Navigate to the Advanced page of the System applet. Click on the Performance Settings button, select its Advanced tab and click on 'Background Services' for Processor Scheduling (see top pair of screens).
pcmusician 2
This is one of the few essential Windows XP tweaks, since it benefits the performance of ASIO drivers, which run as background tasks.

For anyone using ASIO drivers (and nowadays that includes just about every PC musician), this is the most essential tweak of all, because ASIO drivers run as background services in Windows. Music software and hardware developers Steinberg rely on this setting to ensure low latency without dropouts, and you may be able to run your audio interface at a significantly lower latency after this tweak.

So I did this. Result was ghastly on my system (my profile for details if you're interested) so I suppose the moral is to try out tweaks one by one and test their impact one at a time.

Thanks for the link, though.

Laurence

edited for typo
2007/12/12 13:51:00
John
In fact, most start-up items run from places other than the Start Up folder - mainly, registry entries are used. MSCONFIG is the best tool to use to see what is starting up and it can also be used selectively to disable any item.

Not really. It is OK if thats all you got but MS has a neat utility called Autorun. This can deal with everything. It is not a tool that one uses indiscriminately but it will stop stuff you don't need running.

It and other such tools can be found Here BTW they are all free and they are written by Microsoft people.
2007/12/13 06:07:56
ChristopherM
It is not a tool that one uses indiscriminately
Wow - that's comprehensive, to say the least. Your advice is wise, I'm sure!

... but I must say, even my warped sense of humour is not good for "Bluescreen".
© 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account