• SONAR
  • Windows 7 & Core Parking .... a *better* way to Turn It OFF .... (p.3)
2009/11/27 21:08:22
SilkTone
holderofthehorns

Can't remeber which thread, but I do remember Noel saying "There was no appreciable difference..." in any of their core park testing.  No hiccups, no bumps, nada.  Ergo, they were not at all concerned with core parking. 
That is what I was thinking. I'd be surprised if there was any noticeable difference when you disable core parking. The fact that Sonar is always using CPU cycles even when stopped seems to imply the cores would probably not be parked while Sonar is running unless the project was essentially empty. And even if it did park cores, I would be surprised if they could not be un-parked fast enough where they would actually cause a glitch.

Basically, do we have any proof that this makes any difference while using Sonar?
2009/12/20 04:30:28
Manolo
bl1615

So I tried the change and was able to edit the key like 3 times I believe. I changed the max value from 64 to 0. Exited and then shut down. However when I restart and go the resource monitor I still show cores being parked. I went back to regedit and searched for the key again to double check and the changes are still there correctly made as far as I can see. I have a dell xps 900 i7920. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong or why this fix wouldn't be working.

Same thing here. One core stays higher than the others in Sonar 8.5.2. Find and change the reg key 2 times on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits. The Intel SpeedStep is disable. Any clue ?
2009/12/21 17:25:33
Manolo
It works for everyone ?
2009/12/21 17:29:23
submarin
I´m on VISTA 64 ultimate, and my first Core is also always the most used one..
2009/12/21 18:04:24
pinguinotuerto
Honestly, I don't know why people bother with turning core parking off or overclocking with the Core i7!
Has anyone run into some limitations that require any of this?  I think people are still holding on to "old Windows XP optimization tricks" that are pointless nowadays.

Anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong.
2009/12/22 03:29:18
Manolo
Core parking is a problem cause you reach a limit that is not the real limit of the CPU power. Sure, you're right, with i7, it needs huge projects to take the CPU down but there's no reason that each core doesn't work equal.
2009/12/22 05:47:27
Freddie H
TomG

Firstly major props to new forum member sky60234 for the following method.

Some of you will recall my previous regedit to turn-off Win 7 Core Parking here:-  http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1852473

This is now superseded by a much better method.   Thanks to  sky60234   there is now an  easier  / non-destructive  /  fully reversible  way to do this - ie: no deletions of .Reg keys needed - only an entry value adjustment.

In short, here is the better method from sky60234:-

- Go to Regedit

- Find this key:-  " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

- Within this key, there is a value called:  " ValueMax "

- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park - the default 100%  ie:  all Cores are potentially park-able

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin "  and  " ValueMax " are both zero

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system  [  in my DAW it was only found twice ]

- Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start

I have tested the above on a clean Windows 7 x64 / Clean 8.5.1 install and it works perfectly - all Cores are available at all times and none are ever parked - the result  =  even CPU loads at all times regardless of loads.

As sky60234 noted, the advantage of the above is that nothing at all is being deleted from the Registry -  all that is being done is that a value is being adjusted.

Again, major thanks and props to   sky60234  for this excellent  fix.

Tom
Thank you Tom! =)

I have add this great info in "Did you know" thread
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?&m=1830605&mpage=1
Have great Christmas my friend!

Regards
Freddie
2009/12/22 11:21:21
pinguinotuerto
Manolo

Core parking is a problem cause you reach a limit that is not the real limit of the CPU power. Sure, you're right, with i7, it needs huge projects to take the CPU down but there's no reason that each core doesn't work equal.

What makes you think that because all cores are not working equally at any given moment (by that I'm assuming you mean spreading the load equally among all cores), that the computer is not performing at its optimum level?

Why must all cores be engaged if it isn't necessary?  It might be a waste of resourses. 

I think the Multi-Core CPUs are designed (by very smart people) to kick in when needed.
2009/12/22 12:01:02
Manolo
As far as one core doesn't reach 100% (and stop Sonar) before others are used, no problem of course.
2009/12/22 12:23:41
John
What we need is a solid instance where core parking is a problem. On the face of it, it does seem unnecessary for a desktop machine. But can anyone show it interferes with Sonar? 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account