• SONAR
  • Mackie blackbird problems in Sonar 8.5 (p.2)
2011/07/12 14:52:38
lfm
A completely different approach to using BB might be what I planned to do last fall before BB was released(but I skipped due to delay in release).

Background to this was that I just hate anything firewire after testing a couple of major brands.

General tip - check DPC latency and turn off possible WLAN adapters. Major generator of dropouts and cracks and pops.

Anyway...

BB has a ADAT output that among other things are meant to be used to daisy chain two BB units, but may be used to connect to computer if that is equipped with a ADAT interface of some kind.

So getting a clean ADAT interface to computer(like RME internal cards) could be one way to get around driver stuff with Mackie. From what I hears the Onyx preamps are excellent.
2011/07/12 15:02:50
Beagle
EBush

One issue may have been that I didn't restart sonar after changing the buffer setting in BB control.

Waveform Generation - there is a way to disable having sonar generate the graphic waveform on your audio tracks while you are recording...(it does it after recording = and can take quite a while if its a long recording session). Its on the Global Options General tab as Display Waveform Preview While Recording...

I haven't touched UAC yet though I did find a reference today in the Mackie documentation which advised to disable wireless adapters which I plan to try when my band rehearses tomorrow..We've been recording all our rehearsals and I've found it very helpful in getting everyone on the same page as to areas that need attention (esp when learning new material).

Any other suggestions?   BTW, I enjoyed your website...good info and tunes!

thanks!

I am not at my DAW right now and can't remember exactly where that function is to disable the waveform drawing during recording.  I'll try to look for it tonight.

these guys posting above me here have some good suggestions as well.
2011/08/15 13:29:43
lhrocker
I have had good results with disabling the NIC cards on the computer/laptop when using any DAW software.  I had tons of dropouts with a Lexicon Omega when I had my NIC card enabled.  Once I disabled it, my dropout problems went away.  I just got a Blackbird last week and it's been running great.  It may be something to try.

2011/08/15 15:28:06
Beagle
that's always a good thing to do - NICs, webcams, TV tuners, AV programs a lot of times will cause problems.

I'm glad the blackbird is running good for you.  I've still heard mixed reports on the drivers, just like before.  some say it works, others not so much.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account