2011/11/18 17:11:32
craigb
Smart move!
2011/11/18 18:11:00
Jonbouy
mike_mccue

I'm holding out for a "British" sounding USB cable.

Then I am going to ask you to buy it for me.

If it doesn't crackle when you waggle it then it is clearly not "British".
2011/11/18 18:14:31
The Maillard Reaction

If you recall, I once mentioned that my Dad had a MG TD, which means I know exactly what you are referring too.

:-)
2011/11/18 18:16:45
Jonbouy
MG TD

= More Garage  Time Due?
2011/11/18 18:22:55
The Maillard Reaction
Many of us Yanks believe that the electronics in British automobiles exist solely so that General Motors AC-Delco division can claim that they don't actually make the worst electronic components for automobiles.

Thanks for that.
2011/11/18 23:42:27
Bub
Guitarhacker

it's digital... not audio on that USB cable.... it either is or isn't........ ones or zeros..... unlike an audio cable...
It's not quite that simple. There is such a thing as error's in the transfer of digital signals, then some kind of error correction comes in to play, and that could degrade the audio quality. I could see a high quality cable cause less errors between devices, but $3000 is crazy.

To give you an example, I ran in to communication error's bigtime when VoIP lines started to be 'trendy' and companies tried to hook their fax machines up to them. To resolve the issue, we turned off ECM (Error Correction Mode), and slowed the modem speed down on the fax end, and changed some other settings. There were compression settings they could adjust on the server modem end as well. I actually wrote a troubleshooting manual that the company I used to work for had distributed to their techs nationwide. As much as everyone wants fax machines to go away, it's not happening anytime soon, but that's another subject. Banks especially like them because fax machines are still the most secure way to electronically transfer a document.

Anyway, there is something to be said for decent quality USB and HDMI cables, but not $3000 grand worth. That's crazy.
2011/11/19 00:41:16
57Gregy
mike_mccue

Many of us Yanks believe that the electronics in British automobiles exist solely so that General Motors AC-Delco division can claim that they don't actually make the worst electronic components for automobiles.

Thanks for that.

Wasn't Joseph Lucas called The Prince of Darkness?
2011/11/19 06:48:55
Beagle
I'm in the wrong business.
2011/11/19 07:13:29
trimph1
2011/11/19 07:24:26
The Maillard Reaction
Bub

Guitarhacker

it's digital... not audio on that USB cable.... it either is or isn't........ ones or zeros..... unlike an audio cable...
It's not quite that simple. There is such a thing as error's in the transfer of digital signals, then some kind of error correction comes in to play, and that could degrade the audio quality. I could see a high quality cable cause less errors between devices, but $3000 is crazy.

To give you an example, I ran in to communication error's bigtime when VoIP lines started to be 'trendy' and companies tried to hook their fax machines up to them. To resolve the issue, we turned off ECM (Error Correction Mode), and slowed the modem speed down on the fax end, and changed some other settings. There were compression settings they could adjust on the server modem end as well. I actually wrote a troubleshooting manual that the company I used to work for had distributed to their techs nationwide. As much as everyone wants fax machines to go away, it's not happening anytime soon, but that's another subject. Banks especially like them because fax machines are still the most secure way to electronically transfer a document.

Anyway, there is something to be said for decent quality USB and HDMI cables, but not $3000 grand worth. That's crazy.

I thought that data packet transmissions systems such as USB corrects it's errors by requesting a replacement packet. Yes? No?

http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb4.shtml

I think the answer is Yes and that there is no way for a "audiophile" USB cable to improve some portion of the audio stream or spectrum. When you read the review on the guys web page that speaks of enhanced clarity in the bass and dynamics... that's the "marketing speak" that makes people look like fools.

If there is some uncorrectable error caused by a USB cable the buffer runs dry and you get nothing.

It's go-no go... if you have a problem you are going to hear a stutter or a splat... or silence.

Schemes like the Reed Solomon system we use with CD's actually "fixe" errors with statistically likely corrections... which seems to result in nearly perfect results as well.

At least the guys trying to minimize errors on CDs have a legitimate concern in that the data is being slightly altered to the extent that the Reed Solomon scheme may not guess if it's a 0 or a 1 on rare occasions.

BTW FAX is considered secure because the manufacturers have made it is easy to use an encryption appliance. Encryption is easy in email too... but there are so many options that the FAX appliances seems easier by comparison. Also email copies linger in places where people that have the time to break encryption can easily find the email and work at leisure. None of that has much to do with error correction.

best regards,
mike

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account